Jump to topic:

Why was TN almost a Union state?

Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 5:14:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I heard that they were very reluctant to join the Confederacy. Why is that?
BTW, it just proves my point about the KKK being an English/Union/Anglo-Saxon invention.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 6:10:13 PM
At 11/27/2013 5:14:54 PM, Adam2 wrote:
BTW, it just proves my point about the KKK being an English/Union/Anglo-Saxon invention.

I've read something of this before. According to Wiki, "In February 1861, secessionists in Tennessee's state government, led by Governor Isham Harris, sought voter approval for a convention to sever ties with the United States, but Tennessee voters rejected the referendum by a 54-46% margin." Later, however, sentiment began to change, and in a second convention a slight majority elected to sever ties with the US. Union delegates asked that many of the eastern counties, which had voted strongly to remain loyal, be allowed to form their own state and stay within the Union, but this was rejected by the legislature, and the governor sent confederate troops to occupy these counties. Apparently he thought that secession was okay for the state but not for the counties. It's similar to what happened here in Virginia, but President Lincoln granted the western part of this state the right to form it's own state with allegiance to the Union. It was just an issue in some of the border states, including Maryland as well. Pray tell, how does any of this prove that the KKK was an English/Union/Anglo-Saxon invention?
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 6:21:07 PM
At 11/27/2013 6:10:13 PM, Idealist wrote:

I've read something of this before. According to Wiki, "In February 1861, secessionists in Tennessee's state government, led by Governor Isham Harris, sought voter approval for a convention to sever ties with the United States, but Tennessee voters rejected the referendum by a 54-46% margin." Later, however, sentiment began to change, and in a second convention a slight majority elected to sever ties with the US. Union delegates asked that many of the eastern counties, which had voted strongly to remain loyal, be allowed to form their own state and stay within the Union, but this was rejected by the legislature, and the governor sent confederate troops to occupy these counties. Apparently he thought that secession was okay for the state but not for the counties. It's similar to what happened here in Virginia, but President Lincoln granted the western part of this state the right to form it's own state with allegiance to the Union. It was just an issue in some of the border states, including Maryland as well. Pray tell, how does any of this prove that the KKK was an English/Union/Anglo-Saxon invention?

Well, Tennessee was strongly Union. Their entrance into the Confederacy was a last resort. But the town in which the KKK was founded was heavily sympathetic to the Union. And their sentiments were more Yankee. Gives me the impression that the KKK was indeed an English invention. The Confederacy is more Scots-Irish and Celtic. Plus Tennessee was also a slave state.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 6:22:36 PM

If the tactics of the KKK are disturbingly more similar to the Vikings than the Celts, which are a part of Southern culture, which gives another cue.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 6:24:02 PM

And, as history always says, Yankees = English/Anglo-Saxon, Confederates = Celts. Also a lot of the coastal colonies of the South were founded by the Scottish (Highlanders to be exact) before they were taken over by the English.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 6:43:49 PM
At 11/27/2013 6:21:07 PM, Adam2 wrote:

Well, Tennessee was strongly Union. Their entrance into the Confederacy was a last resort. But the town in which the KKK was founded was heavily sympathetic to the Union. And their sentiments were more Yankee. Gives me the impression that the KKK was indeed an English invention. The Confederacy is more Scots-Irish and Celtic. Plus Tennessee was also a slave state.

After Fort Sumter the state as a whole decided to secede, though almost 70% of East Tennesseans voted to remain." How is this any different than what happened in other border states? Tennessee was never strongly Union. Even in the first convention they were only pro-union by an 8% margin. It was only East Tennessee that was strongly pro-Union.

"The first Klan was founded in 1865 in Pulaski, Tennessee, by six veterans of the Confederate Army. Although there was little organizational structure above the local level, similar groups rose across the South and adopted the same name and methods." Again, this included Virginia, which held the capitol of the Confederacy, and yet lost nearly half her land to union loyalists in certain counties. I've never been able to find any worthy sources which show that the British have anything to do with the KKK. I'd appreciate it if you know of any?
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 6:49:47 PM

You have to remember that the population of Giles county, in which Pulaski is located, was only 7,870 in the 2010 census. It must have been very small more than a hundred years ago. I live within easy driving distant of most of the really important Civil War battlefields, and so have always had a particular interest in it since a very young age. But I still haven't seen any evidence to really support this plot you are talking about.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 6:51:58 PM
At 11/27/2013 6:22:36 PM, Adam2 wrote:

If the tactics of the KKK are disturbingly more similar to the Vikings than the Celts, which are a part of Southern culture, which gives another cue.

Were you the one who posted the "now-and-then" picture of the Vikings and the KKK? Just curious. I would say that the tactics of most terrorists are similar. The Vikings and Celts used terror-type tactics.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 6:55:00 PM
At 11/27/2013 6:24:02 PM, Adam2 wrote:

And, as history always says, Yankees = English/Anglo-Saxon, Confederates = Celts. Also a lot of the coastal colonies of the South were founded by the Scottish (Highlanders to be exact) before they were taken over by the English.

Sorry . . . I'm still not getting your point here. Since when has history always said that? I'm sincerely asking - do you have any sources that I could check-out? I would be very interested.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 6:56:42 PM
At 11/27/2013 6:43:49 PM, Idealist wrote:

After Fort Sumter the state as a whole decided to secede, though almost 70% of East Tennesseans voted to remain." How is this any different than what happened in other border states? Tennessee was never strongly Union. Even in the first convention they were only pro-union by an 8% margin. It was only East Tennessee that was strongly pro-Union.

"The first Klan was founded in 1865 in Pulaski, Tennessee, by six veterans of the Confederate Army. Although there was little organizational structure above the local level, similar groups rose across the South and adopted the same name and methods." Again, this included Virginia, which held the capitol of the Confederacy, and yet lost nearly half her land to union loyalists in certain counties. I've never been able to find any worthy sources which show that the British have anything to do with the KKK. I'd appreciate it if you know of any?

Tell you the truth, the KKK was founded in secret. That those members found them is speculation to this day. No one knows who really founded the KKK. I think they were founded by Union soldiers and those who came from the North and settled in the South. For the sake of your speaking I will say Anglo, not English. People get confused with "English" and assuming it's nationality, so we'll use Anglo instead, to refer to the English ethnic group. The Union was predominantly Anglo, and Danish. The Confederacy was Scots-Irish and Scottish. The Union was the one who brought slaves to the states, not the Confederacy. Many of the original colonies of the South, including Darien, were founded by the Highlanders, but then taken over by the Anglo-Saxons and to an extent the Lowland Scots, and made slavery legal. Tennessee, for a region that was Scots-Irish was one of the few states where the ethnicity was English and the sympathy was towards the Union. I see the CSA as the Scots trying to claim back what was their's originally. England, like Denmark, was a country known for brutal imperialism. They brought that mindset to the Americas. It was just a matter of time that it would explode, in TN.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 6:57:18 PM
At 11/27/2013 6:55:00 PM, Idealist wrote:

Sorry . . . I'm still not getting your point here. Since when has history always said that? I'm sincerely asking - do you have any sources that I could check-out? I would be very interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org... (founders of the colony)
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 6:58:42 PM

I meant that the English and Lowland Scots made slavery legal once they took over, because Darien (founded by the Scots) was founded for slavery to be illegal in them.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 7:02:49 PM
At 11/27/2013 6:51:58 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 11/27/2013 6:22:36 PM, Adam2 wrote:

Were you the one who posted the "now-and-then" picture of the Vikings and the KKK? Just curious. I would say that the tactics of most terrorists are similar. The Vikings and Celts used terror-type tactics.

VIkings did. The Celts were not like that. So therefore KKK were like the Vikings. Very evil. Vikings oppressed the Celts.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 7:05:56 PM
At 11/27/2013 6:56:42 PM, Adam2 wrote:

Tell you the truth, the KKK was founded in secret. That those members found them is speculation to this day. No one knows who really founded the KKK. I think they were founded by Union soldiers and those who came from the North and settled in the South. For the sake of your speaking I will say Anglo, not English. People get confused with "English" and assuming it's nationality, so we'll use Anglo instead, to refer to the English ethnic group. The Union was predominantly Anglo, and Danish. The Confederacy was Scots-Irish and Scottish. The Union was the one who brought slaves to the states, not the Confederacy. Many of the original colonies of the South, including Darien, were founded by the Highlanders, but then taken over by the Anglo-Saxons and to an extent the Lowland Scots, and made slavery legal. Tennessee, for a region that was Scots-Irish was one of the few states where the ethnicity was English and the sympathy was towards the Union. I see the CSA as the Scots trying to claim back what was their's originally. England, like Denmark, was a country known for brutal imperialism. They brought that mindset to the Americas. It was just a matter of time that it would explode, in TN.

So really you are saying that this is all just speculation, and you are just asking for opinions? Well, my personal opinion (living in the South) is that Southerners are still a very stubborn people. I'd hate to imagine how hard it was for them to swallow their pride when there were suddenly Union soldiers stationed in every public building or meeting-place, and all the millions they invested in buying slaves was totally gone. They now had to hire the same people they used to own. It would be a lot like having to pay wages to your tractor. The funny thing is that over time they found it was more efficient to pay black and white laborers to do the work than slavery had ever been. Ironic, huh?
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 7:08:15 PM
At 11/27/2013 7:05:56 PM, Idealist wrote:

So really you are saying that this is all just speculation, and you are just asking for opinions? Well, my personal opinion (living in the South) is that Southerners are still a very stubborn people. I'd hate to imagine how hard it was for them to swallow their pride when there were suddenly Union soldiers stationed in every public building or meeting-place, and all the millions they invested in buying slaves was totally gone. They now had to hire the same people they used to own. It would be a lot like having to pay wages to your tractor. The funny thing is that over time they found it was more efficient to pay black and white laborers to do the work than slavery had ever been. Ironic, huh?

It's not Southerners, but the Anglo-Saxons who were like that, and they are all over the country. It was them who made the Jim Crow laws. Darien was again founded by Highlanders with slavery ILLEGAL in them. And they didn't fight with Amerindians, like the Anglo-Saxons did.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 7:08:45 PM
At 11/27/2013 6:57:18 PM, Adam2 wrote:

I still don't get it. This is a Wiki article on a town named Darien in Georgia. I thought we were talking about Tennessee?
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 7:08:46 PM
At 11/27/2013 7:05:56 PM, Idealist wrote:

The founders of the Klan is speculation. Some historians say the Illuminati founded it.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 7:10:50 PM
At 11/27/2013 7:08:45 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 11/27/2013 6:57:18 PM, Adam2 wrote:

I still don't get it. This is a Wiki article on a town named Darien in Georgia. I thought we were talking about Tennessee?

Tennessee is predominantly English. Suprisingly all the states that have no problem living with the blacks (Louisiana, Georgia, South Carolina) all tend to be Scots-Irish.
http://upload.wikimedia.org...