Jump to topic:

Christmas truce

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2013 10:53:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
One of the stories that has always inspired me was the story of how the soldiers in WWI refused to fight on Christmas 1914 on many sectors and instead met up as friends and comrades, exchanged gifts and addresses, and played sports together. Reminds me of the overarching theme of All Quiet on The Western Front (and a great deal of anti-war literature) that the true enemy is not the enemy soldier but the system that forced young men into such a brutal and pointless war.

Some wisdom from the last veteran to have fought on the trenches, Harry Patch, on what war actually is: "To me, it's a licence to go out and murder. Why should the British government call me up and take me out to a battlefield to shoot a man I never knew, whose language I couldn't speak? All those lives lost for a war finished over a table. Now what is the sense in that?"
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2013 9:07:09 PM
WWI was probably the saddest war ever. All sides involved only started the war because of imperialistic tendencies, which clashed, and WWI came about. At least WWII had the allies on the "good" side. There was no "good" side in WWI. It was just an example of many dying because of few's desires.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 1:57:50 AM
At 12/29/2013 9:07:09 PM, Subutai wrote:
WWI was probably the saddest war ever. All sides involved only started the war because of imperialistic tendencies, which clashed, and WWI came about. At least WWII had the allies on the "good" side. There was no "good" side in WWI. It was just an example of many dying because of few's desires.

Millions as in the dead jews and the crushed nations from Nazi, eh? Oh. Sorry, not WWII.

WWI was a bad time to be alive.