Jump to topic:

Marco Polo

Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2013 7:33:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Last week, I finished reading "The Travels of Marco Polo" and was a bit surprised by his alleged adventures.

My question is did Marco Polo go on the all adventures he claimed to go on? It seemed kind of strange how a foreigner of no significance would be involved in the Khan Court.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 5:47:41 PM
At 12/29/2013 7:33:48 AM, Tophatdoc wrote:
Last week, I finished reading "The Travels of Marco Polo" and was a bit surprised by his alleged adventures.

My question is did Marco Polo go on the all adventures he claimed to go on? It seemed kind of strange how a foreigner of no significance would be involved in the Khan Court.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 6:26:22 PM
At 1/9/2014 6:03:14 PM, yay842 wrote:
nac
MARCO...
POLO!!!!
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 6:28:08 PM
At 1/9/2014 6:26:22 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 1/9/2014 6:03:14 PM, yay842 wrote:
nac
MARCO...
POLO!!!!

MARCO!!!!
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
Pareidolic-Dreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 3:27:24 AM

I never read the historical writings proposed to be based on the stories that he told upon returning from his journeys.
However. I did read the historical fiction by Gary Jennings, called "The Journeyer."

If you like historical fiction, I recommend it. If you do read it let us know. Id love to hear the differences between Jennings version and the version by Rustichello da Pisa.

My non-fiction reading time is mostly taken by current science articles.
Pareidolic-Dreamer
I see wall people.

When I argue against someone's truths, I always feel like I am arguing just as strongly against my own.
rdx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 3:48:54 AM

Marco Polo was young following his uncle in a trip in China, they were carrying letters from the Pope and from the Republic of Venice , at their second travel in orient. The Million was written in the style well known at the time as were the guide for the pilgrims toward Jerusalem. He was an educated young boy that spoke fluently Latin, at the time the international language of Europe, in short time he was able to translate documents from Latin to mandarin Chinese and (maybe) in Mongols. In Venice still exist his house.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 7:24:39 AM
At 2/2/2014 3:48:54 AM, rdx wrote:

Marco Polo was young following his uncle in a trip in China, they were carrying letters from the Pope and from the Republic of Venice , at their second travel in orient. The Million was written in the style well known at the time as were the guide for the pilgrims toward Jerusalem. He was an educated young boy that spoke fluently Latin, at the time the international language of Europe, in short time he was able to translate documents from Latin to mandarin Chinese and (maybe) in Mongols. In Venice still exist his house.

Did this story really happen? I mean Marco Polo going to China.