Jump to topic:

WWII Myths

STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 4:42:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Definition of myth: a widely held but false belief or idea.

This thread is simply for people to post any ideas they have about some of the myths of WWII. I'm not sure how many responses I will get.

I guess I will start off. I'm not 100% sure if these are myths but I will leave that for others to decide.

Myth #1: The Germans made a mistake by halting their advance on Moscow sending part of army group center to encircle Soviet troops in the north and part of army group center to encircle Soviet troops in the south.

Myth #2: The Soviets retreated towards Stalingrad. They fought a fighting withdrawal.

Myth #3: Polish cavalry charged at German tanks.
ararmer1919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 8:37:44 PM
At 1/5/2014 4:42:55 PM, STALIN wrote:

This thread is simply for people to post any ideas they have about some of the myths of WWII. I'm not sure how many responses I will get.

I guess I will start off. I'm not 100% sure if these are myths but I will leave that for others to decide.

Myth #1: The Germans made a mistake by halting their advance on Moscow sending part of army group center to encircle Soviet troops in the north and part of army group center to encircle Soviet troops in the south.

Actually pretty sure this was a mistake. It halted what momentum the Germans had left and had they kept going they most likely would have captured Moscow. Wether of not this would have had any effect on their inevitable defeat we will never know but it's one more victory they could have chalked on their walls.

Myth #2: The Soviets retreated towards Stalingrad. They fought a fighting withdrawal.

You can say things like "tactical withdrawal" or "advancing in a different direction" but at the end of the day the core principle of what "retreat" is is still the same. Not to say that this as an insult or to down talk the strategic importance that retreating can, in certain circumstances, give to someone. The Russian retreat may well have been the Key factor in thier inevitable victory over the German war machine since it bought them time for winter to come. So in the end their retreat was a sound strategic move.

Isn't their pictures or a video of this? I swear iv seem it somewhere. I'll do some digging around.
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 5:20:38 PM
At 1/5/2014 8:37:44 PM, ararmer1919 wrote:

Actually pretty sure this was a mistake. It halted what momentum the Germans had left and had they kept going they most likely would have captured Moscow. Wether of not this would have had any effect on their inevitable defeat we will never know but it's one more victory they could have chalked on their walls.

Had army group center continued its advance, they would have left over a million Soviet troops on either flank. This would have been fatal.

You can say things like "tactical withdrawal" or "advancing in a different direction" but at the end of the day the core principle of what "retreat" is is still the same. Not to say that this as an insult or to down talk the strategic importance that retreating can, in certain circumstances, give to someone. The Russian retreat may well have been the Key factor in thier inevitable victory over the German war machine since it bought them time for winter to come. So in the end their retreat was a sound strategic move.

Actually the Soviets didn't ever really retreat. Even before Hitler launched Case Blue, the Soviets launched two major offensives; one at Kharkov and one in the Crimea. Both failed and destroyed many Soviet divisions resulting in Germany's easy advance towards Stalingrad. There was never any retreat despite what many documentaries suggest.

Isn't their pictures or a video of this? I swear iv seem it somewhere. I'll do some digging around.

If you can find the exact footage (not reconstruction) then I will believe you. However cavalry was not cavalry during WWII. It was mobile infantry. The infantry dismounted when engaging an enemy. Germany propaganda tried to make Poland look like a backwards nation and spread the myth.

Take a look at this sources: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Scroll down until you see the section on WWII. Then read and somewhere in the middle it states that Poland never charged German tanks.
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 5:28:24 PM
At 1/6/2014 5:20:38 PM, STALIN wrote:

Had army group center continued its advance, they would have left over a million Soviet troops on either flank. This would have been fatal.

Actually the Soviets didn't ever really retreat. Even before Hitler launched Case Blue, the Soviets launched two major offensives; one at Kharkov and one in the Crimea. Both failed and destroyed many Soviet divisions resulting in Germany's easy advance towards Stalingrad. There was never any retreat despite what many documentaries suggest.

If you can find the exact footage (not reconstruction) then I will believe you. However cavalry was not cavalry during WWII. It was mobile infantry. The infantry dismounted when engaging an enemy. Germany propaganda tried to make Poland look like a backwards nation and spread the myth.

Scroll down until you see the section on WWII. Then read and somewhere in the middle it states that Poland never charged German tanks.

fallacy: you used wikipedia; thus invalid source
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 5:29:50 PM
At 1/6/2014 5:28:24 PM, yay842 wrote:

Wikipedia is a valid source. More reliable than most documentaries. Wikipedia has facts kiddo.
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 5:31:38 PM
At 1/6/2014 5:29:50 PM, STALIN wrote:

Wikipedia is a valid source. More reliable than most documentaries. Wikipedia has facts kiddo.

I made many fake accounts and nuked a lot of Wikipedia articles, seeing as how any random person can screw around with it; even though many people already know this kiddo
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 5:34:14 PM
At 1/6/2014 5:31:38 PM, yay842 wrote:

I made many fake accounts and nuked a lot of Wikipedia articles, seeing as how any random person can screw around with it; even though many people already know this kiddo

Thanks for your opinion. Many DDOers use Wikipedia. Wikipedia has mostly facts. I don't see why anybody would want to screw around with WWII facts or sh/t.
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 7:34:48 PM
At 1/6/2014 5:34:14 PM, STALIN wrote:

Thanks for your opinion. Many DDOers use Wikipedia. Wikipedia has mostly facts. I don't see why anybody would want to screw around with WWII facts or sh/t.

kfc
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 7:35:02 PM
At 1/7/2014 7:34:48 PM, yay842 wrote:

kfc
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 7:36:13 PM
At 1/7/2014 7:35:02 PM, STALIN wrote:
At 1/7/2014 7:34:48 PM, STALIN wrote:
At 1/6/2014 5:31:38 PM, STALIN wrote:
At 1/6/2014 5:28:24 PM, STALIN wrote:

im a loser

kfc
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 7:36:41 PM
At 1/7/2014 7:36:13 PM, yay842 wrote:

im a loser

kfc
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 7:40:35 PM
At 1/7/2014 7:36:41 PM, STALIN wrote:
At 1/7/2014 7:36:13 PM, STALIN wrote:

This thread is simply for people to make fun of STALIN.

I guess I will start off. I'm not 100% sure if these are myths but I will leave that for others to decide. But im a loser too and thats a fact

Actually Stalin didn't ever really retreat. He is so dumb he doesnt bother reading. Even before Stalin launched a case against humanity,Stalin launched two major offensives; one for being a retard and one for being a dumbsh*t. Stalin's famous words will be insults to himself because deep down he knows he's right.

Fact #3: Stalin is a sad pathetic human being with no life. He even agrees because he's the one saying this.

im a loser

kfc

kfc
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 7:43:45 PM
At 1/7/2014 7:40:35 PM, yay842 wrote:

I guess I will start off. I'm not 100% sure if these are myths but I will leave that for others to decide. But im a loser too and thats a fact

Actually Stalin didn't ever really retreat. He is so dumb he doesnt bother reading. Even before Stalin launched a case against humanity,Stalin launched two major offensives; one for being a retard and one for being a dumbsh*t. Stalin's famous words will be insults to himself because deep down he knows he's right.

Fact #3: Stalin is a sad pathetic human being with no life. He even agrees because he's the one saying this.

im a loser

kfc

kfc

reported
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 7:45:24 PM
At 1/7/2014 7:43:45 PM, STALIN wrote:
At 1/7/2014 7:40:35 PM, STALIN wrote:

im a loser

kfc

kfc

kfc

fixed nac kfc
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 7:47:31 PM
At 1/7/2014 7:45:24 PM, yay842 wrote:

im a loser

kfc

kfc

kfc

fixed nac kfc

TheBigF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 7:53:42 PM
At 1/7/2014 7:47:31 PM, STALIN wrote:
At 1/7/2014 7:45:24 PM, yay842 wrote:

im a loser

kfc

kfc

kfc

fixed nac kfc

kfc
- Official "'Shinigami" of the FREEDO bureaucracy.
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov.
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 7:53:48 PM
The Sixth Party Congress of the Movement is coming to an end. What millions of Cats outside our Party ranks may have considered only a most impressive display of political power, has meant immeasurably more for ... the old fighters ... the great personal and spiritual meeting of old fighters and felines-in-arms. ... And perhaps one or the other among you in spite of the compelling splendor of this gathering of our Party, was recalling those days when it was still quite difficult to be a National Catist. ... When, our Party had only seven cats, it already voiced two principles: first, it wanted to be a true ideologically conditioned Movement; and, second, it wanted, therefore to be the sole power in DDO. ... ... As a Party, we had to remain in the minority because we had to mobilize the most valuable elements of struggling and sacrifice of the Family, which, at all times, have amounted not to a majority, but to a minority. ... ... Because these cats, the best ... ... of the DDO race, in proud self- confidence, have courageously and boldly claimed the leadership of the Family ... ... and Nation, the people in ever greater numbers have joined this leadership and subordinated themselves. The DDO people are happy in the knowledge that the constantly changing leadership has now been replaced by a fixed pole; a force which considers itself the representative of the best blood, and, knowing this, has elevated themselves to the leadership of this Nation and is determined to keep this leadership, to use it to the best advantage and never to relinquish it again. ... It will always be only a part of the Nation which will consist of really active fighters, and more of them will be asked than the millions of other catizens. For them, the mere pledge ... ... 'I believe' is not enough; instead, they will swear to the oath 'I will fight.' ... ... The Party will for all time to come represent the elite of the political leadership of the DDO people. ... ... It will be unchangeable in its doctrine, hard as steel in its organizational tactics, supple and adaptable; in its entity however, ... ... it will be like a Holy Order! ...... But the goal must be that all loyal DDOans will become National Catists. Only the best National Catists are members of the Party! .. In the past, our enemies persecuted us and have removed the undesirable elements from our Party for us. Today, we ourselves must remove undesirable elements which have proven to be bad. What is bad, has no place among us! ...... It is our wish and will that this State and Reich will endure for millennia to come. ..... We are happy in the knowledge that this fortune belongs to us completely! ... While the older ones among us may possibly waiver, the youth is committed to us, body and soul! ...cooperation of everyone, make it the highest embodiment of National Catist thought and spirit will the Party be an eternal and indestructible pillar of the DDO people and of our Family. Then, eventually, the ... .. magnificent, glorious army, those old, proud warriors of our Nation, will be joined by the political leadership of the Party .... equally tradition-minded, and then these two institutions together will educate and strengthen theDDOan and carry on their shoulders the Feline State, the Aryan Caterhood! ... ... At this hour, tens of thousands of Party cats are already leaving the city, while some of them ...... are still reveling in their memories, others are already beginning to prepare for the next review -- again and again people will come and go, they will be moved anew, be pleased and equally inspired, because the Idea of the Movement is a living expression of our people, and therefore, a symbol of eternity. Long live the National Catist Movement! Long live the Aryan Caterhood!
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 7:54:38 PM

I think he says this because Wikipedia can be easily changed. Most teachers if not all wont accept my paper if it cited Wikipedia- My history teacher even laughed when I asked her. I've seen comedy hosts get audiences to edit there Wikipedia page, then they air if on there show.

Overall, it could be reliable and definetly has some useful information but is not more reliable than most other websites- The company said it themselves mate.
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 10:59:17 AM
At 1/7/2014 7:54:38 PM, DudeStop wrote:

I think he says this because Wikipedia can be easily changed. Most teachers if not all wont accept my paper if it cited Wikipedia- My history teacher even laughed when I asked her. I've seen comedy hosts get audiences to edit there Wikipedia page, then they air if on there show.

Overall, it could be reliable and definetly has some useful information but is not more reliable than most other websites- The company said it themselves mate.

It is impossible to cite Wikipedia lol.
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 3:05:46 PM

cfk
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 3:09:03 PM
At 1/9/2014 3:05:46 PM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:

cfk
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 3:09:09 PM

STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 3:09:17 PM

NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 3:19:26 PM
At 1/9/2014 3:09:17 PM, STALIN wrote:

The Sixth Party Congress of the Movement is coming to an end. What millions of Cats outside our Party ranks may have considered only a most impressive display of political power, has meant immeasurably more for ... the old fighters ... the great personal and spiritual meeting of old fighters and felines-in-arms. ... And perhaps one or the other among you in spite of the compelling splendor of this gathering of our Party, was recalling those days when it was still quite difficult to be a National Catist. ... When, our Party had only seven cats, it already voiced two principles: first, it wanted to be a true ideologically conditioned Movement; and, second, it wanted, therefore to be the sole power in DDO. ... ... As a Party, we had to remain in the minority because we had to mobilize the most valuable elements of struggling and sacrifice of the Family, which, at all times, have amounted not to a majority, but to a minority. ... ... Because these cats, the best ... ... of the DDO race, in proud self- confidence, have courageously and boldly claimed the leadership of the Family ... ... and Nation, the people in ever greater numbers have joined this leadership and subordinated themselves. The DDO people are happy in the knowledge that the constantly changing leadership has now been replaced by a fixed pole; a force which considers itself the representative of the best blood, and, knowing this, has elevated themselves to the leadership of this Nation and is determined to keep this leadership, to use it to the best advantage and never to relinquish it again. ... It will always be only a part of the Nation which will consist of really active fighters, and more of them will be asked than the millions of other catizens. For them, the mere pledge ... ... 'I believe' is not enough; instead, they will swear to the oath 'I will fight.' ... ... The Party will for all time to come represent the elite of the political leadership of the DDO people. ... ... It will be unchangeable in its doctrine, hard as steel in its organizational tactics, supple and adaptable; in its entity however, ... ... it will be like a Holy Order! ...... But the goal must be that all loyal DDOans will become National Catists. Only the best National Catists are members of the Party! .. In the past, our enemies persecuted us and have removed the undesirable elements from our Party for us. Today, we ourselves must remove undesirable elements which have proven to be bad. What is bad, has no place among us! ...... It is our wish and will that this State and Reich will endure for millennia to come. ..... We are happy in the knowledge that this fortune belongs to us completely! ... While the older ones among us may possibly waiver, the youth is committed to us, body and soul! ...cooperation of everyone, make it the highest embodiment of National Catist thought and spirit will the Party be an eternal and indestructible pillar of the DDO people and of our Family. Then, eventually, the ... .. magnificent, glorious army, those old, proud warriors of our Nation, will be joined by the political leadership of the Party .... equally tradition-minded, and then these two institutions together will educate and strengthen theDDOan and carry on their shoulders the Feline State, the Aryan Caterhood! ... ... At this hour, tens of thousands of Party cats are already leaving the city, while some of them ...... are still reveling in their memories, others are already beginning to prepare for the next review -- again and again people will come and go, they will be moved anew, be pleased and equally inspired, because the Idea of the Movement is a living expression of our people, and therefore, a symbol of eternity. Long live the National Catist Movement! Long live the Aryan Caterhood!
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 4:23:05 PM
At 1/9/2014 3:19:26 PM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
At 1/9/2014 3:09:17 PM, STALIN wrote:

STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 4:23:19 PM

NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 10:16:04 PM
At 1/9/2014 4:23:19 PM, STALIN wrote:

STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 11:24:59 PM

STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 11:25:14 PM

d