Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 8:35:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Discuss.
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 1:32:57 AM
At 1/18/2014 8:35:44 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
Discuss.

Essentially, the Axis was unsustainable after 1941. Barbarossa and Pearl Harbor were, perhaps inevitable, acts of overreach that demanded defeat. If the US and the USSR had been kept out of it, there might have been a nuclear age of 5 or 6 discrete powers, but this too seems unsustainable. I expect that any variant of an Axis victory would have translated into some kind of a WW3 from which the USSR would have benefited, if any participants survived at all.

It is impossible to say with any certainty, but even if the Axis had negotiated a victory in 1942, it seems likely that Germany and Japan would have had a lot more fighting to do. We know that China, Vietnam, the Philippines, the Balkans were ready to resist further. France, Korea, North Africa would almost certainly have continued to resist. Hitler and Mussolini would inevitably have clashed at some point, and all 3 powers had some real potential for further coups and internal unrest.

In short, even if the Axis had done everything right, I don't think any of those governments would have survived for long.
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 1:50:00 PM
At 1/19/2014 1:32:57 AM, Oromagi wrote:
At 1/18/2014 8:35:44 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
Discuss.

Essentially, the Axis was unsustainable after 1941. Barbarossa and Pearl Harbor were, perhaps inevitable, acts of overreach that demanded defeat. If the US and the USSR had been kept out of it, there might have been a nuclear age of 5 or 6 discrete powers, but this too seems unsustainable. I expect that any variant of an Axis victory would have translated into some kind of a WW3 from which the USSR would have benefited, if any participants survived at all.

It is impossible to say with any certainty, but even if the Axis had negotiated a victory in 1942, it seems likely that Germany and Japan would have had a lot more fighting to do. We know that China, Vietnam, the Philippines, the Balkans were ready to resist further. France, Korea, North Africa would almost certainly have continued to resist. Hitler and Mussolini would inevitably have clashed at some point, and all 3 powers had some real potential for further coups and internal unrest.

In short, even if the Axis had done everything right, I don't think any of those governments would have survived for long.

I asked for what would happen if the axis won, not for what did happen.
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess