Why is Denmark, historically, more

Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 12:49:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Calvinist than Lutheran?

Throughout history, Calvinist reformed religions were more popular in Denmark. I was reading a map from the Thirty Year War, a good chunk of Denmark was predominantly Calvinist. Why is that? Can anyone explain. Denmark is more conservative than the other Scandinavian countries. They recently supported going into Iraq. Why?
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 12:50:16 PM
I know they'e Lutheran, but still, Calvinism had major influence in Denmark's history. Even the variant of Lutheranism in Denmark is crypto-Calvinist in nature. Anyone care to explain why this is the case? Thanks
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 12:51:57 PM
At 2/3/2014 12:50:16 PM, Adam2 wrote:
I know they'e Lutheran, but still, Calvinism had major influence in Denmark's history. Even the variant of Lutheranism in Denmark is crypto-Calvinist in nature. Anyone care to explain why this is the case? Thanks

Hmm, I always thought they were more secular. It would seem that most Danes try to refrain from religious thinking.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 12:58:08 PM
At 2/3/2014 12:51:57 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:

Hmm, I always thought they were more secular. It would seem that most Danes try to refrain from religious thinking.

At one point, even til this day, the culture of Denmark is more inspired by Calvinism than pure Lutheranism. It can also be said about Sweden to a certain extent, but not as much. During the Thirty Year War, many areas in Denmark were predominantly Calvinist. in Danish Lutheranism, the ideas are mostly Calvinist, so Danish Lutheranism is more Calvinist in nature than say, Norwegian Lutheranism, which is closer to Catholicism, mostly. The one praticed by George II was also Calvinist-inspired Lutheranism. Look it up. Denmark was probably the only country where Calvinism was popular. They sure as Hell were persecuted in Switzerland.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:00:54 PM

Secular doesn't mean not religious though. England is also secular. Secular just means you don't make a preference on the basis of religion. Secularism is the fundamental part of democracy. People get that word confused. But in Denmark, they still have a state church, and I believe definite knighthood and titles on the basis of the Lutheran church. So they are still very religious, but it could be the Calvinist influence. Calvinism was popular in Denmark the most. It could be what they used to justify imperialism in Greenland (treating them like garbage that's for sure).
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:03:45 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org...

It's quite a wicked read. I recommend you check it out.
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:08:01 PM
At 2/3/2014 1:03:45 PM, Adam2 wrote:

Interesting, I'll look into it. As a Norwegian, I am fascinated by Scandinavian culture.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:10:21 PM
At 2/3/2014 1:08:01 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:

Interesting, I'll look into it. As a Norwegian, I am fascinated by Scandinavian culture.

Norway is my favorite of the Scandinavian countries. They have a peaceful history. The same can't be said about Denmark or Sweden.
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:12:58 PM
At 2/3/2014 1:10:21 PM, Adam2 wrote:

Norway is my favorite of the Scandinavian countries. They have a peaceful history. The same can't be said about Denmark or Sweden.

I know! Norway has a rich and fascinating heritage. I really want to go there some day.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:14:17 PM
At 2/3/2014 1:12:58 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:

I know! Norway has a rich and fascinating heritage. I really want to go there some day.

Norway is a lot of like Spain, (I might even add) England or Ireland or Italy. Very nice, un-stereotyping people. They don't stereotype you. I also love that, like Spain, Norway tries to maintain neutrality.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:16:49 PM
At 2/3/2014 1:12:58 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:

Which begs me to ask. Why do so many Norwegians have Spanish-sounding endings to their names. Tanja. Hell you got some from Norway who look like they could pass for Spanish, with their exotic. Remember that actress Framken (or whatever her name was) Jenkinsen I think. The mother from "Taken." I think she is Norwegian
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:19:25 PM

Strangely enough I was looking at the bloodline map of Norway -- and it seems like they're not Germanic, their bloodline I think is a little more on Celtic-Briton. There's strong Celtic influence in the south of Norway. I definitely think the Norwegians are more Celtic than Viking.
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:23:33 PM
At 2/3/2014 1:19:25 PM, Adam2 wrote:

Strangely enough I was looking at the bloodline map of Norway -- and it seems like they're not Germanic, their bloodline I think is a little more on Celtic-Briton. There's strong Celtic influence in the south of Norway. I definitely think the Norwegians are more Celtic than Viking.

I think it really boils down to the specifics of which fylke you are examining. Some fylkes like Nordland are most definitely derivative from Viking origins.

As for the names, I know what you mean. Perhaps it is the result of Spanish traders? Or maybe Viking exploration?
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:24:47 PM
At 2/3/2014 1:23:33 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:

I think it really boils down to the specifics of which fylke you are examining. Some fylkes like Nordland are most definitely derivative from Viking origins.

As for the names, I know what you mean. Perhaps it is the result of Spanish traders? Or maybe Viking exploration?

Norway has more of a Celtic nature than even the south of Scotland. The South of Scotland is way more Anglo-Saxon than some Norwegians I've known.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:26:01 PM

Another thing I love about Norway is that they were not a freaking Allied country in the World Wars. They like to talk smack about the Axis Powers as if they were scum, but the Allied Powers were involved in brutal oppression. Denmark was one of those Allies, though institutionally neutral at first. England's partner in crime. While the English were in India, the Danes were treating Inuits in Greenland like trash.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:26:33 PM

Denmark was one of those Allies, though *initially neutral at first. England's partner in crime. While the English were in India, the Danes were treating Inuits in Greenland like trash.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 1:31:02 PM

Not so much the Spanish names, but like the Spanish-sounding endings to some Norwegian first names. Likes of "a"s in Norwegian names. Like a friend of mine named Tanja.