Jump to topic:

History of South America

Theguywhoknowsnothing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 5:31:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Does anyone here knows anything about the history of South America?

All that I know is that there was a war called "the war of the triple alliance", it was about 3 countries (Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay) vs 1 country (Paraguay).

But I am interested in studying more about the history of SA, if anyone could tell me more about it.
Deutsch guy who knows nothing.
rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 1:54:11 PM
At 2/16/2014 5:31:24 PM, Theguywhoknowsnothing wrote:

All that I know is that there was a war called "the war of the triple alliance", it was about 3 countries (Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay) vs 1 country (Paraguay).

But I am interested in studying more about the history of SA, if anyone could tell me more about it.

I don't know much about the War of the Trople Alliance, but it involved a megalomaniacal Paraguayan President named Solano Lopez and resulted in the death of a huge percentage of Paraguay's population - some say 60%. Bolivia and Paraguay were very unlucky in the wars of the 19th centuries and now are landlocked and the poorest countries in the region.

South American history is very interesting. Argentina was one of the richest countries in the world and a magnet for immigrants at the beginning of the 20th century.

I have half siblings from Peru and Ecuador. I'm no expert but what would you like to discuss?
Theguywhoknowsnothing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:02:30 PM
At 2/17/2014 1:54:11 PM, rockwater wrote:
At 2/16/2014 5:31:24 PM, Theguywhoknowsnothing wrote:

I don't know much about the War of the Trople Alliance, but it involved a megalomaniacal Paraguayan President named Solano Lopez and resulted in the death of a huge percentage of Paraguay's population - some say 60%. Bolivia and Paraguay were very unlucky in the wars of the 19th centuries and now are landlocked and the poorest countries in the region.

South American history is very interesting. Argentina was one of the richest countries in the world and a magnet for immigrants at the beginning of the 20th century.

I have half siblings from Peru and Ecuador. I'm no expert but what would you like to discuss?

I would like to learn more about Peru, after its independence from Spain.
rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:36:07 PM
I don't know much about Peruvian history between independence and the mid 20th century, but in the mid 20th century there was a military government that was left-leaning populist and redistributed farming land taking from the wealthy and giving it to poorer people. This did not provide a long term solution for the huge economic inequality in the country, though. Lima that capital was a small city until the mid 20th century when millions of people from the countryside moved there and built vast shantytowns. Lima is now a huge city and many former shantytowns are now suburbs but there are still new shantytowns and lots of poverty. There were decades of the government fighting a Maoist guerrilla group called the Shining Path. A president named Alberto Fujimori who was descended from Japanese immigrants was very harsh in fighting the Shining Path (who were very harsh themselves). Fujimori fled to Japan after leaving office but he was later arrested and extradited from Chile and put in prison for corruption. The current president, Ollanta Humala is left wing but toned down his radical rhetoric in order to win election. He won the election for president against Fujimori's daughter Keiko. He isn't as extreme as Hugo Chavez in Venezuela. Peru has been going through an economic boom from mining but the poor are not benefiting much from it.
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 3:19:45 PM
There once were The Aztecs and Mayans. Then there was a British bit, then Brazil, and now we're here. Anything else? ;D
Theguywhoknowsnothing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 4:12:21 PM
At 2/17/2014 2:36:07 PM, rockwater wrote:
I don't know much about Peruvian history between independence and the mid 20th century, but in the mid 20th century there was a military government that was left-leaning populist and redistributed farming land taking from the wealthy and giving it to poorer people. This did not provide a long term solution for the huge economic inequality in the country, though. Lima that capital was a small city until the mid 20th century when millions of people from the countryside moved there and built vast shantytowns. Lima is now a huge city and many former shantytowns are now suburbs but there are still new shantytowns and lots of poverty. There were decades of the government fighting a Maoist guerrilla group called the Shining Path. A president named Alberto Fujimori who was descended from Japanese immigrants was very harsh in fighting the Shining Path (who were very harsh themselves). Fujimori fled to Japan after leaving office but he was later arrested and extradited from Chile and put in prison for corruption. The current president, Ollanta Humala is left wing but toned down his radical rhetoric in order to win election. He won the election for president against Fujimori's daughter Keiko. He isn't as extreme as Hugo Chavez in Venezuela. Peru has been going through an economic boom from mining but the poor are not benefiting much from it.

Very interesting, I was always wondering if Peru did actually had a military dictatorship, you know about Peru more than me.