Jump to topic:

Socrates vs Jesus

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 12:23:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So many people ask people if Socrates existed. He has no physical evidence for existing, he never wrote anything down, same as Jesus. By looking at that you might come up with the conclusion of no, he did not exist. Most people do not look at the whole picture though. Plato wrote extensively and admiringly about the ideas of Socrates, ideas that he probably would have loved to claim were his own. Plato was Socrates' student, although he was not present at Socrates's death, he did know those who were there. Plato describes the scene through the narrative voice of the fictional character Phaedo. That means that people that were actually alive during the life of Socrates say he was real. Is this proof? No, it does not prove Socrates existed, but it does give heavy evidence for it.

There exists no evidence that Jesus was a real person. The books of the New Testament are not reliable. The earliest secular mention is though to be a forgery, and even if it is not, Josephus was born after the supposed death of Jesus so he wouldn't be giving eye-witness testimony. There exists no reason to even think he existed.

In conclusion, the claim that belief in Socrates and disbelief in Jesus is irrational is wrong. There is evidence for Socrates by people alive during his life writing about him, this is not true for Jesus. It does not confirm that Socrates actually existed, but there is reason to believe he did. This does not confirm Jesus did not exist, however there is no reason to believe he did.

You cannot compare Socrates and Jesus for these reasons.

What is your thoughts?

P.S. For people that want to use the Bible as eye-witness testimony of the life of Jesus, this video might enlighten you. https://www.youtube.com...
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:10:55 PM
At 2/19/2014 12:23:31 PM, SNP1 wrote:
So many people ask people if Socrates existed. He has no physical evidence for existing, he never wrote anything down, same as Jesus. By looking at that you might come up with the conclusion of no, he did not exist. Most people do not look at the whole picture though. Plato wrote extensively and admiringly about the ideas of Socrates, ideas that he probably would have loved to claim were his own. Plato was Socrates' student, although he was not present at Socrates's death, he did know those who were there. Plato describes the scene through the narrative voice of the fictional character Phaedo. That means that people that were actually alive during the life of Socrates say he was real. Is this proof? No, it does not prove Socrates existed, but it does give heavy evidence for it.

There exists no evidence that Jesus was a real person. The books of the New Testament are not reliable. The earliest secular mention is though to be a forgery, and even if it is not, Josephus was born after the supposed death of Jesus so he wouldn't be giving eye-witness testimony. There exists no reason to even think he existed.

In conclusion, the claim that belief in Socrates and disbelief in Jesus is irrational is wrong. There is evidence for Socrates by people alive during his life writing about him, this is not true for Jesus. It does not confirm that Socrates actually existed, but there is reason to believe he did. This does not confirm Jesus did not exist, however there is no reason to believe he did.

You cannot compare Socrates and Jesus for these reasons.

What is your thoughts?

P.S. For people that want to use the Bible as eye-witness testimony of the life of Jesus, this video might enlighten you. https://www.youtube.com...

Post this in the religion section if you actually want people to read this...
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:46:45 PM
I only posted it because in my philosophy class we had to discuss this and even my instructor thought Jesus was a real person. When I asked why he thought that he was not able to give a single reliable source. I might add it to the religion section.
#WarOnDDO
AlmedinC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 1:54:01 PM
There is no single mention of Jesus' everyday life in a diary from one of his fellows?

But actually, you posted a thought-provocative question! Keeps me thinking..
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 3:26:32 PM
At 2/22/2014 1:54:01 PM, AlmedinC wrote:
There is no single mention of Jesus' everyday life in a diary from one of his fellows?

But actually, you posted a thought-provocative question! Keeps me thinking..

Correct, none of the gospels were written by Jesus's followers. The only New Testament writer that is actually who the New Testament claims is Paul, and he even says in the New Testament that he never met Jesus.
#WarOnDDO
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2014 3:08:14 PM
How does anyone expect me to rationally watch a small non-critically acclaimed/review video that is so long?
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!