Jump to topic:

Disputing Mythology

Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 2:49:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Alright, I'm going to list a few mythological figures, and we can debate whether they existed or not.

Mythological Characters

- Hayk: Founder of Armenia.

- Zoroaster: Greek Philosopher and prophet.

- Achilles: The Greek warrior who fought in troy.

Feel free to add more
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 6:21:32 PM
At 4/20/2014 2:49:44 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
Alright, I'm going to list a few mythological figures, and we can debate whether they existed or not.

Mythological Characters

Feel free to add more

Zoroaster was not a Greek philosopher...
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 6:23:09 PM
At 4/20/2014 6:21:32 PM, Subutai wrote:

Mythological Characters

Feel free to add more

Fact 1: Zoroaster was Greek.

Fact 2: Zoroaster taught advanced themes on the human condidition in his book

Fact 3:

phi"los"o"pher [fi-los-uh-fer] Show IPA
noun
a person who offers views or theories on profound questions in ethics, metaphysics, logic, and other related fields.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 6:25:24 PM
At 4/20/2014 6:23:09 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Mythological Characters

Feel free to add more

Fact 3:

noun
a person who offers views or theories on profound questions in ethics, metaphysics, logic, and other related fields.

Sure, he was a philosopher. What I'm disputing is whether or not he was Greek, "Zoroaster, also called Zarathustra, was an ancient Persian prophet...": http://www.hyperhistory.com...
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 6:57:20 PM
At 4/20/2014 6:25:24 PM, Subutai wrote:

Mythological Characters

Feel free to add more

Fact 3:

noun

Sure, he was a philosopher. What I'm disputing is whether or not he was Greek, "Zoroaster, also called Zarathustra, was an ancient Persian prophet...": http://www.hyperhistory.com...

Zoroaster was a prophet from Greece, who traveled to Iran, Armenia, and Mesopotamia teaching of Ahura Mazda. Zoroastrianism was a major religion in Greece until Christianity.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 7:01:20 PM
At 4/20/2014 6:57:20 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Mythological Characters

Feel free to add more

Fact 3:

noun

Zoroaster was a prophet from Greece, who traveled to Iran, Armenia, and Mesopotamia teaching of Ahura Mazda. Zoroastrianism was a major religion in Greece until Christianity.

It says here that he was born in Rhages, Iran, modern day Persia. It should be more accurately described as a Persian philosopher, that's all I'm saying.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 7:27:13 PM
At 4/20/2014 7:01:20 PM, Subutai wrote:

Mythological Characters

Feel free to add more

Fact 3:

noun

It says here that he was born in Rhages, Iran, modern day Persia. It should be more accurately described as a Persian philosopher, that's all I'm saying.

Yes, he was Iranian by birth, but he taught in Greece. Zoroaster teaching the celestial sphere in Platos School in Athens is perhaps the most famous scene is Zoroaster literature.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 7:32:36 PM

Mythological Characters

Feel free to add more

Fact 3:

noun

And Zoroaster was Greek. What people don't understand about ancient history, is the western quarter of Persia (Used lightly, as persia was a narrow landstrip) was colonized by Alexander and the Seleucid's. The Caucasus, the place of Zoroaster's birth, is European in ancestry.

That changed of course when the Muslim Caliphates started to move into Persia, but the Georgians and other peoples still residing in the north Caucasus are a mix of Arab, Greek, and Russian ancestry.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 8:36:06 PM
At 4/20/2014 7:32:36 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Mythological Characters

Feel free to add more

Fact 3:

noun

And Zoroaster was Greek. What people don't understand about ancient history, is the western quarter of Persia (Used lightly, as persia was a narrow landstrip) was colonized by Alexander and the Seleucid's. The Caucasus, the place of Zoroaster's birth, is European in ancestry.

This is completely wrong. As I mentioned earlier, Zoroaster was thought to have been born in Rhages, Iran, which is near Tehran, which is not in the Caucasus. And further, not only was Zoroaster alive (he was alive between around 660 and 583 BC) during the Persian empire, before the Ancient Greece was militaristically strong, and over 200 years before the Seleucid empire.
That changed of course when the Muslim Caliphates started to move into Persia, but the Georgians and other peoples still residing in the north Caucasus are a mix of Arab, Greek, and Russian ancestry.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:29:09 PM
At 4/20/2014 8:36:06 PM, Subutai wrote:

Mythological Characters

Feel free to add more

Fact 3:

noun

This is completely wrong. As I mentioned earlier, Zoroaster was thought to have been born in Rhages, Iran, which is near Tehran, which is not in the Caucasus.

Rhages is in the Caucasus part of Iran, which is the northern slice below the caspian, and even then we do not know where hes from. The belief he is from rhages is cited from little source. The most scholarly opinion I heard is that hes from Azerbaijan ...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

http://www.mobot.org...

And further, not only was Zoroaster alive (he was alive between around 660 and 583 BC) during the Persian empire, before the Ancient Greece was militaristically strong, and over 200 years before the Seleucid empire.

The point of me listing Alexander and the Seleucids, is to show that the greeks always had colonies in these lands. Persia was overstreched and not a large enough army to secure its lands. The Greeks still colonized them on a regular basis. The greeks lost their caucasus and turkish colonies shortly before the conquests of alexander.

The point is, that we don't really have 100% identification on where Zoroaster was born, but all we know for sure, is that he was born on the border of persia. Most literature and paintings of Zoroaster, depict him with sou then Balkan skin.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 12:37:47 PM
At 4/20/2014 9:29:09 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Mythological Characters

Feel free to add more

Fact 3:

noun

This is completely wrong. As I mentioned earlier, Zoroaster was thought to have been born in Rhages, Iran, which is near Tehran, which is not in the Caucasus.

Rhages is in the Caucasus part of Iran, which is the northern slice below the caspian, and even then we do not know where hes from. The belief he is from rhages is cited from little source. The most scholarly opinion I heard is that hes from Azerbaijan ...

And further, not only was Zoroaster alive (he was alive between around 660 and 583 BC) during the Persian empire, before the Ancient Greece was militaristically strong, and over 200 years before the Seleucid empire.

The point of me listing Alexander and the Seleucids, is to show that the greeks always had colonies in these lands. Persia was overstreched and not a large enough army to secure its lands. The Greeks still colonized them on a regular basis. The greeks lost their caucasus and turkish colonies shortly before the conquests of alexander.

The point is, that we don't really have 100% identification on where Zoroaster was born, but all we know for sure, is that he was born on the border of persia. Most literature and paintings of Zoroaster, depict him with sou then Balkan skin.

There's a lot of uncertainty regarding the specifics about Zoroaster's life, but one thing we do know with certainty is that Zoroaster was not a Greek Philosopher.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 2:28:19 PM
At 4/22/2014 12:37:47 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Mythological Characters

Feel free to add more

Fact 3:

noun

There's a lot of uncertainty regarding the specifics about Zoroaster's life, but one thing we do know with certainty is that Zoroaster was not a Greek Philosopher.

Its up to debate. Theirs no way of proving what ethnic group he was, but most Greeks painted and wrote about him as if he was Greek.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 7:39:50 PM
At 4/22/2014 2:28:19 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/22/2014 12:37:47 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Mythological Characters

Feel free to add more

Fact 3:

noun

Its up to debate. Theirs no way of proving what ethnic group he was, but most Greeks painted and wrote about him as if he was Greek.

Maybe you should have titled the thread "Disputing History".
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater