Jump to topic:

Why does Hideki Togo get off scot free

ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2014 12:08:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I hate how history has seem to forgotten about Hideki Togo. Seriously, I would bet only 1/5 american's know who I'm talking about. People always talk about brutal dictators in the fascist era. Togo is responsible for the deaths of 5 million people. He invented a sex and labor slave economy for dissidents and POW's.

He was practically the face of Imperialist Japan. All the propaganda of the time was directed at him. Hideki Togo was plastered on war propaganda three times as much as Hitler (Mostly due to Britain being the only real fighting force in Germany for awhile). What the hell? Why did this idiot get off scot free?

https://www.google.com...

Did people just forget him, because his name was hard to remember?
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2014 1:52:22 AM
His name was *Tojo, not Togo. I don't know what history class you've been taking, but Tojo was always displayed as the villain of WWII Era Japan. Also, he didn't get off scot-free. He was hung for his crimes.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2014 11:07:20 PM
At 6/15/2014 1:52:22 AM, daytonanerd wrote:
His name was *Tojo, not Togo. I don't know what history class you've been taking, but Tojo was always displayed as the villain of WWII Era Japan. Also, he didn't get off scot-free. He was hung for his crimes.

I've always called him Togo. Given Japanese surnames, he has Togo blood at least. I meant he went scot-free as far as international attention.

People know Hitler and Mussolini, but they always forget him.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 4:29:16 PM
At 6/15/2014 11:07:20 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 6/15/2014 1:52:22 AM, daytonanerd wrote:

I've always called him Togo. Given Japanese surnames, he has Togo blood at least. I meant he went scot-free as far as international attention.

People know Hitler and Mussolini, but they always forget him.

There is a certain irony in you forgetting his real name as you bemoan his being forgotten...

But regardless, I suspect it has to do with the western-centric view of history that the west has. Tojo was from one of those "oriental" countries, so we just don't count him. I doubt most schoolkids know as much about, say, China's history. Or India's. Or Japan's. As they do about English history, or Italian, or French. Which doesn't justify it...just seems to explain it.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!