Jump to topic:

Why did Rome expand as fast as it did?

Daghini
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 2:59:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello! I recently posted about the fall of Rome and there were a lot of very interesting points. However i think i rushed in, to truly understand why it fell, i think it is important to understand why it was so successful. I hope this topic to be as interesting :)
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 8:00:25 AM
At 7/23/2014 2:59:32 PM, Daghini wrote:
Hello! I recently posted about the fall of Rome and there were a lot of very interesting points. However i think i rushed in, to truly understand why it fell, i think it is important to understand why it was so successful. I hope this topic to be as interesting :)

Rome introduced the world's first professional army during their time period. It was more trained, disciplined, and better equiped than any other army. Rome also had experienced generals for strategies and tactics. Though not everything was through force. Sometimes they annex other civilizations through appeasement and military pressure.

Rome was able to maintain its conquered land by respecting the culture, religion and etc, of the locals, keeping them stable.
Daghini
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 8:39:49 AM
I would also add the fact that Roman legionaries were rewarded with land and this lead to a drive to conquer more land as more legionaries were recruited.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 11:36:39 AM
At 7/25/2014 8:00:25 AM, XLAV wrote:

Rome introduced the world's first professional army during their time period. It was more trained, disciplined, and better equiped than any other army. Rome also had experienced generals for strategies and tactics. Though not everything was through force. Sometimes they annex other civilizations through appeasement and military pressure.

Rome was able to maintain its conquered land by respecting the culture, religion and etc, of the locals, keeping them stable.

more like "the western world" first professional army, and even that's probably untrue, the Greek probably pre-date the Roman for that.

To be honest, I don't think the rate of Roman expansion is noting impressive. Alexander did it with 3 times the size in just a few years for what the Roman took century. The Mongol did it in decades but they are also more than 10 times bigger.

What caused the Roma to be so successful is simple, they are being in the right time and the right place in history. When Greek diadochies are crumble and divided, when the Carthage is still weak and inadequately expanded, when the Germanic barbarian are.... well barbarian. In short they are surrounded by prey and weaken predator which is a perfect condition for the Empire to growth. And they had clearly fall when a more advanced predator started to show up.
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 7:08:23 AM

because it attacked really far and wide efficiently
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 8:52:49 PM
I agree with Sutti, but I think it was not only a matter of "right place in the right time", I think this was an splendid initial boost for the Romans, but we must also credit them as they clearly knew how to maintain the momentum for centuries. I think it was mainly four things that made Rome so succesful:

-The Republic as a form of goverment, which was more advanced to handle big administrations, while the monarchy, which was the predominant form of goverment of the time, was less mordern and inefficient. Note that the true expansion of Rome was performed by the Republic, with the posterior Empire performing a less marked expansion.
-United economic system with unique coin.
-A balance between respecting the basis of the conquered cultures and giving enough dose of romanization.
-Militar innovations that made Roman Legions very succesful at war.
Morality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 5:24:38 PM
It was one of the first empires to ever incorporate foreign cultures as their own. Foreign religions and traditions were respected so long as Roman law was followed. This single fact allowed them to effectively administrate their territory.