Jump to topic:

Higher Criticism

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 2:27:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
People need to learn what Higher Criticism is before debating the reliability of historical documents.

People need to understand the importance of Occam's Razor in dating documents and deciding reliability.

It can be obvious when people are being closed minded, or have not researched things objectively. If people do that, ignoring them is the best option.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 3:40:59 PM
At 8/27/2014 2:27:22 PM, SNP1 wrote:
People need to learn what Higher Criticism is before debating the reliability of historical documents.

People need to understand the importance of Occam's Razor in dating documents and deciding reliability.

It can be obvious when people are being closed minded, or have not researched things objectively. If people do that, ignoring them is the best option.

I agree, but it may be worth it to try to point them out that they should do some more research before directly ignoring them. I mean, some people love to be ignorant, some others don't.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 5:31:26 PM
At 8/27/2014 3:40:59 PM, Otokage wrote:

I agree, but it may be worth it to try to point them out that they should do some more research before directly ignoring them. I mean, some people love to be ignorant, some others don't.

I do, sometimes they claim they have "seen all the evidence", and it is obvious when they haven't.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Idealist1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 3:17:06 PM

I agree with everything you said except your comment about Occam's Razor. One famous professor (I forget his name) made the observation that many a genius cut his own throat using Occam's Razor. Just think about all the truth's and realities in today's world which weren't the most likely to happen. People tend to forget the part about "all things being equal." All things are almost never equal.