Jump to topic:

War of 1812

Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:30:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
As it is currently passed midnight and I am bored I have decided to wonder into the dangerous realm of the forums.

Having just recently finished a book on the war of 1812 I am presented with one painful issue. How is it that nearly nobody knows very much about this war?

Had we lost that war, our nation would have been halted at the Mississippi River, and we would never have been able to become a powerful nation no matter what. It is possible that we could have been recon queried by the British.

Yet before reading the book I knew next to nothing about the events of the war. How come?
DennisByrne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 5:18:22 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:30:15 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
As it is currently passed midnight and I am bored I have decided to wonder into the dangerous realm of the forums.

Having just recently finished a book on the war of 1812 I am presented with one painful issue. How is it that nearly nobody knows very much about this war?

Had we lost that war, our nation would have been halted at the Mississippi River, and we would never have been able to become a powerful nation no matter what. It is
possible that we could have been recon queried by the British.

Yet before reading the book I knew next to nothing about the events of the war. How come?

You're absolutely right. I can't explain why Americans know so little about it, but my historical novel, "Madness: The War of 1812," hits on the same theme: It could be America's most poorly fought and completely ignored, yet important war. If we had lost, the U.S. might not have continued to exist. (How many Americans know, for example, that during the war that the northern states were so upset with the war that they met in convention in Hartford to secede from the Union?) You can check out the book at www.madness1812.com
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 9:11:16 PM
At 10/15/2014 5:18:22 PM, DennisByrne wrote:

Had we lost that war, our nation would have been halted at the Mississippi River, and we would never have been able to become a powerful nation no matter what. It is

You're absolutely right. I can't explain why Americans know so little about it, but my historical novel, "Madness: The War of 1812," hits on the same theme: It could be America's most poorly fought and completely ignored, yet important war. If we had lost, the U.S. might not have continued to exist. (How many Americans know, for example, that during the war that the northern states were so upset with the war that they met in convention in Hartford to secede from the Union?) You can check out the book at www.madness1812.com

Great points. It baffles me that people consider Osama Bin Laden as the most terrible terrorist in US history without a second thought. While someone like George Cockburn and General Ross don't even get any consideration despite the fact that they burned Washington D.C. to the ground.
Ronanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 7:45:21 AM
It is definitely puzzling that the War of 1812 is overlooked in America. In Canada (where I live) the conservative government is fond of portraying Canada (even though we didn't exist as a nation until 1867) as the victor, and they spent $28 million celebrating the 200th anniversary. This drew pretty heavy criticism since this excessive spending came at a time when the government was cutting funding to a variety of programs and departments, including Library and Archives Canada, and it seemed to fit a conservative pattern of trying to recast Canada's history as a story of military strength and glory. I guess there must be a happy medium between general ignorance and and over the top endorsement!
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 11:31:13 AM
At 10/15/2014 9:11:16 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

Great points. It baffles me that people consider Osama Bin Laden as the most terrible terrorist in US history without a second thought. While someone like George Cockburn and General Ross don't even get any consideration despite the fact that they burned Washington D.C. to the ground.

They burn White House to the ground - not DC, and that's the respond to the US force arson operation in Canada. Burning town was a horrible thing back then, war sure is progressively worse..
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 11:31:50 AM

They burn the White House to the ground - not DC, and that's the respond to the US Forces's arson operation in Canada. Burning town was a horrible thing back then, war sure is progressively horrible..
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 7:45:19 PM
At 10/17/2014 11:31:50 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

They burn the White House to the ground - not DC, and that's the respond to the US Forces's arson operation in Canada. Burning town was a horrible thing back then, war sure is progressively horrible..

Yes, Cockburn did burn the White house, however they did proceed to burn most of the governmental buildings in DC. He, and Ross, did not burn any of the residential buildings which I find admirable.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 7:51:29 PM
At 10/17/2014 7:45:21 AM, Ronanza wrote:
It is definitely puzzling that the War of 1812 is overlooked in America. In Canada (where I live) the conservative government is fond of portraying Canada (even though we didn't exist as a nation until 1867) as the victor, and they spent $28 million celebrating the 200th anniversary. This drew pretty heavy criticism since this excessive spending came at a time when the government was cutting funding to a variety of programs and departments, including Library and Archives Canada, and it seemed to fit a conservative pattern of trying to recast Canada's history as a story of military strength and glory. I guess there must be a happy medium between general ignorance and and over the top endorsement!

Probably because Canada doesn't have another war to celebrate outside of WWII.

No harm intended, that is actually a good thing. :)
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 1:13:43 PM
At 10/17/2014 7:51:29 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

hmnn.. I think they actually have a lot of war throughout their modern history, Korean War, Vietnam War (unofficially), War in Iraq, War in Afghanistan, War on Terror etc.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 7:11:49 PM
At 10/18/2014 1:13:43 PM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
At 10/17/2014 7:51:29 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

hmnn.. I think they actually have a lot of war throughout their modern history, Korean War, Vietnam War (unofficially), War in Iraq, War in Afghanistan, War on Terror etc.

OK, I shall now consider Canadians as battle-tested warriors.
DennisByrne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 9:11:33 AM

Yes, Cockburn did burn the White house, however they did proceed to burn most of the governmental buildings in DC. He, and Ross, did not burn any of the residential buildings which I find admirable.

They burned all government buildings (including the Capitol, which for some reason doesn't get much attention) but one--the patent office. William Thornton, head of the office, had stayed behind in Washington when everyone else had fled (google: Bladensburg Races) and persuaded Cockburn and Ross that the patents were essentially private property, which would exempt them from destruction. One private home was torched--the one from which a shot was fired when the British entered D.C. and shot Ross's horse out from under him.

It should be noted that the burning of York (now Toronto) was in retaliation for the (intentional, it is alleged) explosion of a hidden Canadian ammunition armory that went off just as the American troops were advancing. One of those killed was Zebulon Pike (the discover of Pike's Peak) who was leading the American amphibious assault on York. The American troops should not have retaliated,
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 9:14:36 AM
At 10/19/2014 9:11:33 AM, DennisByrne wrote:

They burned all government buildings (including the Capitol, which for some reason doesn't get much attention) but one--the patent office. William Thornton, head of the office, had stayed behind in Washington when everyone else had fled (google: Bladensburg Races) and persuaded Cockburn and Ross that the patents were essentially private property, which would exempt them from destruction. One private home was torched--the one from which a shot was fired when the British entered D.C. and shot Ross's horse out from under him.

It should be noted that the burning of York (now Toronto) was in retaliation for the (intentional, it is alleged) explosion of a hidden Canadian ammunition armory that went off just as the American troops were advancing. One of those killed was Zebulon Pike (the discover of Pike's Peak) who was leading the American amphibious assault on York. The American troops should not have retaliated,

Cockburn used the burning of York as justification for the destruction of DC. I'm reality, Cockburn had been intending to burn DC two years before the Americans even got to York.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 3:56:26 PM
It's because it is overshadowed by the much more glorious revolutionary war recently before it and the buildup to the much more brutal and impactful civil war that soon followed. The war of 1812 was within 50 years of these much more important wars
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 4:15:51 PM
At 10/29/2014 3:56:26 PM, thett3 wrote:
It's because it is overshadowed by the much more glorious revolutionary war recently before it and the buildup to the much more brutal and impactful civil war that soon followed. The war of 1812 was within 50 years of these much more important wars

Yer mom's an important war...
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 9:15:27 PM
At 10/29/2014 3:42:30 PM, IEnglishman wrote:
But you did lose. Allow me to illustrate https://www.youtube.com....

Technically, we did not lose. If we had lost then the USA would probably never have reached the Pacific. Not that that would be a bad thing, because the Native American population could still be dominant in the west, given that one of the requirements of the treaty would be to create a Native American buffer state.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 9:16:28 PM

I wouldn't necessarily call it "less important". Had the Americans not won the battles of Baltimore and New Orleans, we would have definitely lost.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 9:20:31 PM
At 10/29/2014 9:16:28 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily call it "less important". Had the Americans not won the battles of Baltimore and New Orleans, we would have definitely lost.

New Orleans happened after the war was basically over...

But the point is importance in the popular imagination. History is written by the victors after all, and the "The United States is the worlds greatest country which broke off from an unjust government and shed blood to end the tyranny of slavery" narrative doesn't mesh well with our first major war being a draw where the capitol building was burned down. Thus it's a war that was pushed to the side and, to be fair, I can't imagine a strong argument for the war of 1812 being more important than the other two I mentioned.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 9:24:07 PM
At 10/29/2014 9:20:31 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 10/29/2014 9:16:28 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

New Orleans happened after the war was basically over...

But the point is importance in the popular imagination. History is written by the victors after all, and the "The United States is the worlds greatest country which broke off from an unjust government and shed blood to end the tyranny of slavery" narrative doesn't mesh well with our first major war being a draw where the capitol building was burned down. Thus it's a war that was pushed to the side and, to be fair, I can't imagine a strong argument for the war of 1812 being more important than the other two I mentioned.

True, the war of 1812 has less of an impact on America today than say the Civil War. However, the real impact is what would have happened if the USA had lost the war. If the Civil War had still happened, it is likely that the US would have lost it due to them not having enough land, men, and resources to succeed.

If the US did lose the Civil War, it is likely that their would be five countries occupying modern day US (Mexico, UK, USA, CSA, NA Buffer State).
DennisByrne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 9:57:35 AM

If the US did lose the Civil War, it is likely that their would be five countries occupying modern day US (Mexico, UK, USA, CSA, NA Buffer State).

I quite agree. But I don't know how long a Buffer State would have remained in existence, surrounded as it would have been by land-hungry settlers. How do you think that the CSA would have retained slavery if it had won the Civil War? Into the 20th Century?
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 2:39:17 PM
At 10/30/2014 9:57:35 AM, DennisByrne wrote:

I quite agree. But I don't know how long a Buffer State would have remained in existence, surrounded as it would have been by land-hungry settlers. How do you think that the CSA would have retained slavery if it had won the Civil War? Into the 20th Century?

The purpose of the buffer state was for the UK to get the resources out of the great plain without looking bad by annexing it. The UK could basically own the whole of the great plains without having to have to deal with a bunch of angry Americans.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 2:39:53 PM
At 10/30/2014 2:39:17 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 10/30/2014 9:57:35 AM, DennisByrne wrote:

The purpose of the buffer state was for the UK to get the resources out of the great plain without looking bad by annexing it. The UK could basically own the whole of the great plains without having to have to deal with a bunch of angry Americans.

So it would probably be hard for the US to conquer the Buffer State given that it would mean declaring war on the UK as well.
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2014 1:15:44 PM

Had we lost that war, our nation would have been halted at the Mississippi River, and we would never have been able to become a powerful nation no matter what. It is possible that we could have been recon queried by the British.

Russia powned Napoleon, and they didn't even try.
praise the lord Chin Chin
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2014 1:17:31 PM
At 11/4/2014 1:15:44 PM, 18Karl wrote:

Russia beats everyone.
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2014 1:18:01 PM
At 11/4/2014 1:17:31 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

Russia beats everyone.

Not Mongolia.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2014 1:20:05 PM
At 11/4/2014 1:18:01 PM, 18Karl wrote:

Russia beats everyone.

Not Mongolia.

Well they didn't have the extensive land yet, so the Mongols could sweep in an conquer them without facing the winter. Anyways, why are we talking about this?
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2014 1:20:50 PM
At 11/4/2014 1:20:05 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

Russia beats everyone.

Not Mongolia.

Well they didn't have the extensive land yet, so the Mongols could sweep in an conquer them without facing the winter. Anyways, why are we talking about this?

Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2014 1:21:54 PM
At 11/4/2014 1:20:50 PM, 18Karl wrote:

Russia beats everyone.

Not Mongolia.

There's a hashtag for that?
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2014 1:22:34 PM
At 11/4/2014 1:21:54 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

Russia beats everyone.

Not Mongolia.

There's a hashtag for everything.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2014 5:12:34 PM
At 11/4/2014 1:22:34 PM, 18Karl wrote:
At 11/4/2014 1:21:54 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

Russia beats everyone.

Not Mongolia.

There's a hashtag for everything.

That's disturbing...