Jump to topic:

The Important Symbolism of the Turkey

Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 5:15:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
To many Americans, the turkey is just a turkey that is used to symbolize Thanksgiving. Though, there is a much bigger meaning to the turkey of Thanksgiving. When the 13 colonies was first created, one of the most significant commodities in farming was none other than the turkey. There was a few reasons for this.

A.) There was a huge supply of turkeys in the wild.
B.) They were the cheapest sold live stock.
C.)Since there was a huge supply of turkeys in the wild, they helped contribute towards America's independence from Britain.
D.) They can feed on average up to around 17 people.

Now that you know this information above, I would like to move on to my next point.

Since the turkey was such a big commodity in agriculture, and this was the main source of income for citizens in the thirteen colonies, it became the very idol of agriculture in America which resembled our independence gained from Britain.

All of this being said.. Next time when you see a turkey, you will now understand why the turkey was considered as a more respectable bird by Benjamin Franklin versus the Bald Eagle which originally comes from Ancient Rome.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 10:45:00 PM
At 11/11/2014 5:15:57 PM, Haroush wrote:
To many Americans, the turkey is just a turkey that is used to symbolize Thanksgiving. Though, there is a much bigger meaning to the turkey of Thanksgiving. When the 13 colonies was first created, one of the most significant commodities in farming was none other than the turkey. There was a few reasons for this.

C.)Since there was a huge supply of turkeys in the wild, they helped contribute towards America's independence from Britain.

Now that you know this information above, I would like to move on to my next point.

Since the turkey was such a big commodity in agriculture, and this was the main source of income for citizens in the thirteen colonies, it became the very idol of agriculture in America which resembled our independence gained from Britain.

All of this being said.. Next time when you see a turkey, you will now understand why the turkey was considered as a more respectable bird by Benjamin Franklin versus the Bald Eagle which originally comes from Ancient Rome.

True, yet the underlying issue with the turkey being the US national animal is that it is a turkey. Yes there is some symbolism in that, however the turkey is simply to ridiculous a creature to be a valued national symbol in any situation.

On a side note, the geography nerd inside me legitimately thought that this was a forum about the country of Turkey, not the bird :P
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 3:01:12 AM

spell it with a capital letter and I thought you're talking about Turkey as a middle-east country -_-
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 6:10:12 AM
At 11/11/2014 10:45:00 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

True, yet the underlying issue with the turkey being the US national animal is that it is a turkey. Yes there is some symbolism in that, however the turkey is simply to ridiculous a creature to be a valued national symbol in any situation.

You may think it is a ridiculous bird to have as our national bird, but I think the symbolism of the turkey is something that has been forgot about in the sense our society has lost value in the importance of agriculture. The agriculture business was meant to always be our back bone in this country and still should be.

Without the local farmers in this country and the expansion of them, this country will fall.

On a side note, the geography nerd inside me legitimately thought that this was a forum about the country of Turkey, not the bird :P
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 6:11:04 AM
At 11/12/2014 6:10:12 AM, Haroush wrote:
At 11/11/2014 10:45:00 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

You may think it is a ridiculous bird to have as our national bird, but I think the symbolism of the turkey is something that has been forgot about in the sense our society has lost value in the importance of agriculture. The agriculture business was meant to always be our back bone in this country and still should be.

Without the local farmers in this country and the expansion of them, this country will fall.

Lol! It happens.