Jump to topic:

Christmas truce

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 4:58:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This year is 2014, for those of us who never leave the computer and may have their date a year off like noobs.

So, this year is the 100th anniversary of the Christmas Truce in WWI. If anyone doesn't know what that is, here http://en.wikipedia.org...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 5:00:53 PM
One of the most touching stories to me. When I first read about it years ago it brought tears to my eyes.

Granted I was like 10, lol, but it's still amazing. It would probably be one of the events I'd like to witness most in modern history.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 5:09:43 PM
At 12/13/2014 4:58:55 PM, 16kadams wrote:
This year is 2014, for those of us who never leave the computer and may have their date a year off like noobs.

So, this year is the 100th anniversary of the Christmas Truce in WWI. If anyone doesn't know what that is, here http://en.wikipedia.org...

I always found these truces around holidays to be intriguing. I prefer the nightmare after Christmas.

http://www.britishbattles.com...
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 5:18:32 PM
At 12/13/2014 5:09:43 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/13/2014 4:58:55 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I always found these truces around holidays to be intriguing. I prefer the nightmare after Christmas.

http://www.britishbattles.com...

Haha yeah
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 5:19:39 PM
At 12/13/2014 5:00:53 PM, thett3 wrote:
One of the most touching stories to me. When I first read about it years ago it brought tears to my eyes.

Granted I was like 10, lol, but it's still amazing. It would probably be one of the events I'd like to witness most in modern history.

When I heard about it, I was all "yeah I would let them get over no man's land, shoot them all with a machine gun, then take their trench". I was younger when I heard about it, too. Now I wouldn't do that, but it would be kinda smart so they wouldn't be able to kill me later :P
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 5:22:07 PM
At 12/13/2014 5:19:39 PM, 16kadams wrote:

When I heard about it, I was all "yeah I would let them get over no man's land, shoot them all with a machine gun, then take their trench". I was younger when I heard about it, too. Now I wouldn't do that, but it would be kinda smart so they wouldn't be able to kill me later :P

I should hope not...

"Comrade, I did not want to kill you. . . . But you were only an idea to me before, an abstraction that lived in my mind and called forth its appropriate response. . . . I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony--Forgive me, comrade; how could you be my enemy?"- All Quiet on the Western Front
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 5:23:09 PM
You never see things like these put a war to a halt, but this was a very dramatic and emotional moment during the war. The fact that you could go buy fight an enemy at the other trench, the next day embrace this enemy, and then fight again is really intriguing. One cool thing to note though, armies in Christian dominated Europe didn't usually fight around Christmas (even more specifically winter in general in previous centuries). However, that obviously didn't apply to the American Revolution with the Americans. I must say that while I don't George Washington was a good general I do think this was spectacular assault and probably the best in his career.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 5:24:54 PM
At 12/13/2014 5:22:07 PM, thett3 wrote:

I should hope not...

"Comrade, I did not want to kill you. . . . But you were only an idea to me before, an abstraction that lived in my mind and called forth its appropriate response. . . . I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony--Forgive me, comrade; how could you be my enemy?"- All Quiet on the Western Front

Yeah I am more bitchy apparently than that guy
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 5:31:31 PM
At 12/13/2014 5:24:54 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I should hope not...

Here's how it would go down:

You'd take a shot at the biggest, meanest looking German soldier you saw. Unfortunately for you, he was from southern Germany and was thus a Catholic and since he was such a devout Catholic he was wearing a medallion of mother Mary, who stepped in and caused the bullet to hit the medallion and deflect, striking you in the groin. The large German soldier then picks you up by the scruff of your neck like a cat and punts you across no mans land. An impromptu game of soccer develops, using you as the ball.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 5:39:04 PM
At 12/13/2014 5:31:31 PM, thett3 wrote:

I should hope not...

You'd take a shot at the biggest, meanest looking German soldier you saw. Unfortunately for you, he was from southern Germany and was thus a Catholic and since he was such a devout Catholic he was wearing a medallion of mother Mary, who stepped in and caused the bullet to hit the medallion and deflect, striking you in the groin. The large German soldier then picks you up by the scruff of your neck like a cat and punts you across no mans land. An impromptu game of soccer develops, using you as the ball.

Seems legit
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 5:41:24 PM
At 12/13/2014 5:39:04 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I should hope not...

Seems legit

Also chances are I would be much larger than most German soldiers at that time so I would be pretty hard to punt :P
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 5:45:15 PM
At 12/13/2014 5:41:24 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I should hope not...

Seems legit

Also chances are I would be much larger than most German soldiers at that time so I would be pretty hard to punt :P

This guy ate nothing but bratwurst and onions as a child dude. That's man food right there. You wouldn't stand a chance.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 5:51:50 PM
At 12/13/2014 5:45:15 PM, thett3 wrote:

I should hope not...

Seems legit

This guy ate nothing but bratwurst and onions as a child dude. That's man food right there. You wouldn't stand a chance.

k so I looked up a study like an addict, and the average German male height for the two cohorts which would have been German soldiers was 167.67 - 168.48 cm.
http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk...

So they were only 5.5 feet fall. Noobs I would be 6 inches taller.

lol
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 6:03:44 PM
At 12/13/2014 5:51:50 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I should hope not...

Seems legit

k so I looked up a study like an addict, and the average German male height for the two cohorts which would have been German soldiers was 167.67 - 168.48 cm.

lol

Clearly you haven't heard of the Bratwurst famine of 1890-1912 which robbed these men of critical food when they needed it the most.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 6:05:38 PM
At 12/13/2014 6:03:44 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/13/2014 5:51:50 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I should hope not...

Seems legit

lol

Clearly you haven't heard of the Bratwurst famine of 1890-1912 which robbed these men of critical food when they needed it the most.

I bet it was Obama's fault