Jump to topic:

Roman and Greek history books?

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 3:11:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have the book "Mythology" by Edith Thomas, I am going to get Plutarch's Lives, what other books do you think I should get to learn more about Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 7:19:59 PM
At 12/28/2014 3:11:33 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I have the book "Mythology" by Edith Thomas, I am going to get Plutarch's Lives, what other books do you think I should get to learn more about Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire?

For Greece you should of course read The Iliad and the Odissey from Homerus. Also the Theogony of Hesiod.

For Rome, I liked The Twelve Caesars of Suetonius and Memoirs of Hadrian from Marguerite Yourcenar
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 7:22:59 PM
At 12/29/2014 7:19:59 PM, Otokage wrote:

For Greece you should of course read The Iliad and the Odissey from Homerus.

I actually just saw them both in one book for $20

Also the Theogony of Hesiod.

Never heard of this one. What is it about?

For Rome, I liked The Twelve Caesars of Suetonius and Memoirs of Hadrian from Marguerite Yourcenar

What are they about? I will definitely check them out
#WarOnDDO
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 7:42:58 PM
At 12/29/2014 7:22:59 PM, SNP1 wrote:

They are great. Very entertaining and with great cultural value, since the Greeks considered Homer to be kind of a prophet.

Hesiod was considered by the ancient Greeks as a great authority on theology, and The Theogony is the Greek equivalent to the biblical story of Genesis. So you can imagine its enormous importance.

The Twelve Caesars is great to get an idea of how the government of Rome was in its Golden Era, starting with the biography of Julius Caesar and ending with the bio of Domitian. It was written by Suetonius, who was contemporary to some of them.

Memoirs of Hadrian is precisely that, the memoirs of the emperor Hadrian (76-138 AD). He is revered as one of most succesful rulers in all history of Rome, important for building the Temple of Venus and responsible for making Greek culture flourish again on the empire. The book is not written by an ancient roman, so it obviously has some artistic licenses, but it is still very historically correct.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 7:45:46 PM
At 12/29/2014 7:42:58 PM, Otokage wrote:
At 12/29/2014 7:22:59 PM, SNP1 wrote:

They are great. Very entertaining and with great cultural value, since the Greeks considered Homer to be kind of a prophet.

Hesiod was considered by the ancient Greeks as a great authority on theology, and The Theogony is the Greek equivalent to the biblical story of Genesis. So you can imagine its enormous importance.

The Twelve Caesars is great to get an idea of how the government of Rome was in its Golden Era, starting with the biography of Julius Caesar and ending with the bio of Domitian. It was written by Suetonius, who was contemporary to some of them.

Memoirs of Hadrian is precisely that, the memoirs of the emperor Hadrian (76-138 AD). He is revered as one of most succesful rulers in all history of Rome, important for building the Temple of Venus and responsible for making Greek culture flourish again on the empire. The book is not written by an ancient roman, so it obviously has some artistic licenses, but it is still very historically correct.

Thank you!
#WarOnDDO
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:01:06 AM

Do you know if this book is a reliable book or not on Mithra?
The Mysteries of Mithras: The Pagan Belief That Shaped the Christian World
http://www.amazon.com...
#WarOnDDO
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 11:38:17 AM
In addition to what's already been recommended, you should read The Aeneid for Rome. It describes the mythical founding of Rome. Also, The Metamorphoses is similar to the Theogony, but it's not so organized. You might want to consult the former.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 12:15:41 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:01:06 AM, SNP1 wrote:

Do you know if this book is a reliable book or not on Mithra?
The Mysteries of Mithras: The Pagan Belief That Shaped the Christian World
http://www.amazon.com...

I don't know the book, although from what I see, it probably focuses more on the relation the autors have found between Mithraism and Christianity, which could be mixed with a lot of speculation. I also see the autors are famous for their esoteric books, so maybe the book is not very reliable hystoricaly speaking, although it's probably entertaining.

From what I've seen, Mary Boyce is an authority on zoroastrism, which includes the cult to Mithra that romans adopted. She has a book named Mithra the King and Varuna the Master although it seems difficult to find for online shipping.
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 6:21:56 PM

I would recommend reading History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides, the Histories of Herodotus, and the Expedition of Cyrus by Xenophon--these are for Ancient Greece. For Rome: Annals of Tacitus and the Gallic Wars by Julius Caesar.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.