Jump to topic:

For the historicly ignorent only

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 4:04:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
In recent days calls have been made to ban the Confederate flag. First of all know what the hell you are talking about when you talk about the "Confederate flag". Most on this site don't have a clue what the "Confederate flag" looks like. The flag being vilified by the ignorant moron masses is a battle flag of Virginia. The flag represents the soldiers and their regiments and what state they are from. Each state in the confederacy had a battle flag. Now to educate the moronic masses this is the National Confederate flag. The flag you are supposed to be banning if you even knew what the National Confederate looked like.

http://www.rulen.com...
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 4:54:56 PM
At 6/25/2015 4:04:29 PM, sadolite wrote:
In recent days calls have been made to ban the Confederate flag. First of all know what the hell you are talking about when you talk about the "Confederate flag". Most on this site don't have a clue what the "Confederate flag" looks like. The flag being vilified by the ignorant moron masses is a battle flag of Virginia. The flag represents the soldiers and their regiments and what state they are from. Each state in the confederacy had a battle flag. Now to educate the moronic masses this is the National Confederate flag. The flag you are supposed to be banning if you even knew what the National Confederate looked like.

You spelled "historically" wrong, amigo.

But you are correct in your claim about the common mistaken identity about what we have all come to think of as the Confederate Flag.

I even erroneously called it "the stars and bars" in one of my posts on that thread--which I authored, BTW. When in fact the true stars and bars are those of the flag you provided in your link.

But the flag in question i the whole South Carolina debate has been referred to as "Confederate" for so long that it is sort of taken for granted. Even historians just giveit a pass. It is one of those figures of speech that, even though technically inaccurate, like "The sun is rising" has been readily accepted into modern parlance.

So you should tone down your hostile attitude just a couple notches.

Ya think?
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 6:09:20 PM
At 6/25/2015 4:54:56 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

But you are correct in your claim about the common mistaken identity about what we have all come to think of as the Confederate Flag.

I even erroneously called it "the stars and bars" in one of my posts on that thread--which I authored, BTW. When in fact the true stars and bars are those of the flag you provided in your link.

But the flag in question i the whole South Carolina debate has been referred to as "Confederate" for so long that it is sort of taken for granted. Even historians just giveit a pass. It is one of those figures of speech that, even though technically inaccurate, like "The sun is rising" has been readily accepted into modern parlance.

Ya think?

I spelled a word wrong, Really? Are you really one of those people.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 6:12:14 PM

Ya think?

Oh ya, by the way, I don't talk to or treat anybody on this site any differently than they treat and talk to me. What comes around goes around.

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 6:31:23 PM
At 6/25/2015 6:09:20 PM, sadolite wrote:

Ya think?

Mmm..sometimes. But usually only when someone is being pedantic.

Like you were in your OP.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 6:33:09 PM
Woah....2 of the most cockiest guys going at it here on DDO.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 6:34:01 PM
At 6/25/2015 6:33:09 PM, Lee001 wrote:

lol
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 6:34:37 PM
At 6/25/2015 6:34:01 PM, RevNge wrote:

lol

You know its true..lol
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 6:43:19 PM

I will admit to that! LOL
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 6:46:00 PM
At 6/25/2015 6:31:23 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/25/2015 6:09:20 PM, sadolite wrote:

Ya think?

Mmm..sometimes. But usually only when someone is being pedantic.

Like you were in your OP.

Exactly. Ironically, I see in your posts that you and I actually have some similar ideas on various issues--and, as somebody pointed out, can both be a bit cocky at times. So for whatever reason I felt compelled to stir it up a bit with you. It's how I roll, amigo.

Don't take it too personally.

PS--I also make my fair share of typos!
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 6:46:39 PM

If it's just a flag for Virginia then southerners are the stupid ones for idolizing the wrong flag.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 6:49:05 PM
At 6/25/2015 6:12:14 PM, sadolite wrote:

Ya think?

Oh ya, by the way, I don't talk to or treat anybody on this site any differently than they treat and talk to me. What comes around goes around.

I guess this wouldn't be the best time to tell ya that you also spelled "ignorant" wrong?

Which is REALLY ironic.

Just sayin'.

I'm messin' with ya, bro. No offense. See my previous post on that.

Drew.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 7:01:28 PM
At 6/25/2015 6:46:39 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

If it's just a flag for Virginia then southerners are the stupid ones for idolizing the wrong flag.

See that's just it. You think the people in the south idolize it for it being a confederate flag. Wrong. It's a battle flag, we all know this. It's a source of pride, southern pride. It is you and people like you who have taken it upon yourselves to label it a symbol of hate. You may as well include the US flag as a symbol of hate also. As slavery was tolerated under it's colors. You may as well include all national monuments, buildings schools, anything and everything having to do with American history with regard to the civil war and the south. Why stop at the Virginia Battle flag? Time to tear down the Thomas Jefferson memorial. he was a slave owner don't ya know. What could possibly be more of a symbol of hate than a statue of a slave holder.

jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 7:56:16 PM

I don't think the "stars and bars" as we see it today was used by any of the Confederate States. That one wasn't made popular until segregation was being attacked long before the civil rights movement in the 60's.

I think General Lee's battle flag had a small "stars and bars" in the corner and the rest of the flag was white with a red stripe vertical on the end. The original flag sadolite posted was confusing in low light and smoke filled battlefields.

I am amused at the lack of knowledge that is out there. Has anyone ever read the emancipation proclamation? The ignorance is staggering at times lol.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 4:34:36 PM
At 6/25/2015 7:56:16 PM, jharry wrote:

I don't think the "stars and bars" as we see it today was used by any of the Confederate States. That one wasn't made popular until segregation was being attacked long before the civil rights movement in the 60's.

I think General Lee's battle flag had a small "stars and bars" in the corner and the rest of the flag was white with a red stripe vertical on the end. The original flag sadolite posted was confusing in low light and smoke filled battlefields.

I am amused at the lack of knowledge that is out there. Has anyone ever read the emancipation proclamation? The ignorance is staggering at times lol.

You must have not read my OP.

The Confederate Flag we know today--the one that South Carolina flies-- IS NOT the "stars and bars."

Guess you sort of proved Sadolite's OP.

LOL
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 5:18:01 PM
At 6/26/2015 4:34:36 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/25/2015 7:56:16 PM, jharry wrote:

You must have not read my OP.

The Confederate Flag we know today--the one that South Carolina flies-- IS NOT the "stars and bars."

Guess you sort of proved Sadolite's OP.

LOL

When I said "not used by any of the States" I didn't mean the battle flags. I think Tennessee might have used the current flag as a battle flag but N Virginia used a short version.

Ever read the emancipation proclamation?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 10:29:16 AM
At 6/25/2015 7:01:28 PM, sadolite wrote:

See that's just it. You think the people in the south idolize it for it being a confederate flag. Wrong. It's a battle flag, we all know this. It's a source of pride, southern pride. It is you and people like you who have taken it upon yourselves to label it a symbol of hate. You may as well include the US flag as a symbol of hate also. As slavery was tolerated under it's colors. You may as well include all national monuments, buildings schools, anything and everything having to do with American history with regard to the civil war and the south. Why stop at the Virginia Battle flag? Time to tear down the Thomas Jefferson memorial. he was a slave owner don't ya know. What could possibly be more of a symbol of hate than a statue of a slave holder.

One day, when the US loses a war of sovereignty and is occupied or otherwise forced to become beholden to foreign powers, then yes, maybe on that day the US flag will be regarded as a symbol of hate, rebellion, and "all that is bad". But, today is not that day.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 5:57:08 PM
At 6/28/2015 2:57:00 PM, XLAV wrote:
We should bring back the Nazi Swastika in Germany too.

Totally
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
DutifulCynic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 4:18:24 AM
The "Stars and Bars" was indeed not used solely by the Confederate Government, and instead by the Army of Northern Virginia. What is important, however, is that this flag was used to represent the Confederate Government (which was, unequivocally, racist and traitorous) on the field. What is more important is that it was this flag that was co-opted by racist groups like the KKK, secessionist movements, and pro-segregation groups. I don't support banning it wholesale, but it should be banned on government property.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 1:05:32 AM
I have a debate about this.
http://www.debate.org...

The army of Virginia had the flag in question. The original flag of the Confederacy was ridiculed to the point of being changed into the "Stainless Banner" and "Blood Stained Banner", each of which held the army of Virginia's emblem in the corner.

There is a certain irony to this confusion about hate and racism and the like.

https://en.wikipedia.org...(Wehrmacht)

This is the flag/insignia of the German army, not the Nazi party. The Germany army, however, was under the control of the Nazi party, which had its own flag. Does that inherently mean the emblems of the Wermacht were genocidal white supremacists etc etc etc? Robert E. Lee was quite accomplished save for a few set backs, and his ability to marshal men became known throughout the south. Its small wonder his particular state's standard found home on the CSA's.

And I SO should have incorporated this into my debate some how. Dang it.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 4:52:20 PM
Most on this site don't have a clue what the "Confederate flag" looks like

I suspect Sadolite was right about that, but I can't help wondering when he disovered it and so stopped being a 'moron'.

Tell me - as a UK resident - is the issue with the flags historical associations only or because it is being used today as a symbol by right-wing and racists groups? In the UK the English flag (the cross of st george, not the union jack) has been somewhat co-opted by right-wing xenophobes such as the EDL to the point where it is becoming unusable by anyone else.
ax123man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 8:26:58 PM
At 7/10/2015 4:52:20 PM, kp98 wrote:
Most on this site don't have a clue what the "Confederate flag" looks like

Tell me - as a UK resident - is the issue with the flags historical associations only or because it is being used today as a symbol by right-wing and racists groups?

Yea, probably. Do you think the average person making a stink knows the history?

Seems to me that flags in general are representative of nationalism and collectivism, which are two main drivers behind many of the worst evils ever committed in history. I'm not really sure I see that much difference between our stars and strips and some other 19th century southern flag, except one side lost and is broadly and exclusively associated with slavery.

There's one good outcome from episodes like this. You can tell who the ignorant are: they're the ones making the stink.

What would the outcome be in the U.S. in the 18th & 19th century, ceteris paribus, in these two cases:

A) flip the population of the north and south
B) flip the location of fertile farm land
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 11:39:08 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
I just wanted to say I told you so. During all the hoopla about the Virginia battle flag which is not the confederate flag that got banned. I said that all references to south and southern history would also be attacked and erased from history. I of course was told that same old tired line "That will never happen" Well it has begun.

http://www.wnd.com...