Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

90 year old Ex-Nazi goes to jail? Thoughts?

Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 8:50:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://www.cnn.com...

As you guys seem so interested in Naziism all of a sudden, I thought this would spark some interest. An ex-Nazi who was a bookkeeper got sentenced to 4 years in prison 60 years after the event. What do you think about that? Is it fair? I personally have mixed feelings about it.
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 11:30:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/15/2015 8:50:58 AM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
http://www.cnn.com...

As you guys seem so interested in Naziism all of a sudden, I thought this would spark some interest. An ex-Nazi who was a bookkeeper got sentenced to 4 years in prison 60 years after the event. What do you think about that? Is it fair? I personally have mixed feelings about it.

I would honestly applaud him if he were to live through that sentence.
"Change your sig."
~YYW
PatriotPerson
Posts: 1,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 10:00:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This isn't far. Yes, I understand he was a nazi and all, but the man's ninety years old. He'll probably die in his cell. And its not like he carried out executions or something in Auschwitz, he was just a bookkeeper.
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 11:35:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/16/2015 10:00:22 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
This isn't far. Yes, I understand he was a nazi and all, but the man's ninety years old. He'll probably die in his cell. And its not like he carried out executions or something in Auschwitz, he was just a bookkeeper.

True, but he signed up to be part of the SS. If he had been assigned to gas the chamber I am sure that he would have been fine with that post.
PatriotPerson
Posts: 1,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 11:33:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/16/2015 11:35:47 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 7/16/2015 10:00:22 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
This isn't far. Yes, I understand he was a nazi and all, but the man's ninety years old. He'll probably die in his cell. And its not like he carried out executions or something in Auschwitz, he was just a bookkeeper.

True, but he signed up to be part of the SS. If he had been assigned to gas the chamber I am sure that he would have been fine with that post.

Sure, maybe, but he still wasn't. I think its ridiculous to make him an accessory to all those murders... he didn't participate in a single one. But still like I said, he'll probably die in his cell, so what use is it imprisoning him?
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 2:31:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/15/2015 8:50:58 AM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
http://www.cnn.com...

As you guys seem so interested in Naziism all of a sudden, I thought this would spark some interest. An ex-Nazi who was a bookkeeper got sentenced to 4 years in prison 60 years after the event. What do you think about that? Is it fair? I personally have mixed feelings about it.

If he didn't hurt anyone, then that hardly seems just. I mean, he's old, let him finish his life without being thrown in jail.
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 4:47:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I disapprove.

He's 93--and people are overlooking the political circumstances of Nazi Germany; all of them were expected to comply and work in accordance to the Nazi regime.

The article itself states that he was only 23 at the time, therefore a young man. As far as I'm concerned if he did not actively participate in killing Jews and was not responsible for any deaths, he shouldn't even be put on trial.

However, it's doubtful that he'll actually serve the four years and probably will appeal.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 4:47:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/19/2015 2:27:35 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
But he didn't actually murder anyone, did he? So I don't see why he should be arrested.

Exactly.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 4:39:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/20/2015 4:47:09 AM, Emilrose wrote:
I disapprove.

He's 93--and people are overlooking the political circumstances of Nazi Germany; all of them were expected to comply and work in accordance to the Nazi regime.

However he was part of the SS, the elite divisions that were originally the guards of Hitler himself, thus implying that he was pretty fanatical about the whole concept.

The article itself states that he was only 23 at the time, therefore a young man. As far as I'm concerned if he did not actively participate in killing Jews and was not responsible for any deaths, he shouldn't even be put on trial.

However, it's doubtful that he'll actually serve the four years and probably will appeal.
j50wells
Posts: 345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 1:06:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I disagree with it. I mean the guy probably deserved worse, but to wait 70 years later? The guy was way past the fact of what he had done. There were a lot of bad people in Nazi Germany. To go on a witch hunt 70 years later is ridiculous.
How many millions of Germans didn't have to go to prison? Many. Why pick on this guy at this late stage in his life?
Are we setting a precedent? Are we going to start rounding up old foes and opening old wounds? I'm sure we could find some Vietnam Vets in the year 2040 who are still alive and were part of the burning of a village and its inhabitants. We could find bad guys in every war. It's ridiculous. Not only that but if armies know they might be prosecuted for something they do in the war 70 year later, they might not be as aggressive and ready to kick some butt. In my opinion, what happens in the war stays in the war. If a group of soldiers go on a raping spree, then it's up to military tribunals to punish them either by execution or by imprisonment. If the tribunal's do nothing about it, then they should be prosecuted.
riveroaks
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 10:55:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/15/2015 8:50:58 AM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
http://www.cnn.com...

As you guys seem so interested in Naziism all of a sudden, I thought this would spark some interest. An ex-Nazi who was a bookkeeper got sentenced to 4 years in prison 60 years after the event. What do you think about that? Is it fair? I personally have mixed feelings about it.

I have mixed feelings as well.

If the German was not an officer, it is hard to blame him individually.

Officers give orders, and enlisted men take orders.

Refusing to take orders in Germany at that time would have gotten him shot.

And that is assuming that after 60 years the evidence against him is still good.

At age 90 anyone going to prison is going to be a burden to the prison as well.