Jump to topic:

Nagasaki

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 7:57:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
On August 9, 1945, the Japanese city of Nagasaki was hit by a nuclear bomb, killing thousands of people within seconds. 3 days earlier, on August 6, Hiroshima was hit by a nuclear bomb.
In the aftermath of the detonation of these two weapons, the Empire of Japan surrendered on August 15, 1945.

The world has not experienced a third use of nuclear weaponry in warfare in 70 years. The world has not experienced a third world war in 70 years.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 11:55:43 PM
At 8/10/2015 2:42:01 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
...Your point being?

I'll tell you my point, since you asked. LOL. We should have never dropped either of those A-Bombs on all those innocent people. totally unwarranted. Japan was already gonna surrender. but we spent all that time and $$ on Manhattan project so we had to test 'em out. what a load of crap. Pure Evil. God was pissed, I can guarantee. sometimes I really doubt my country's past actions. oh well as Kurt Vonnegut said, "And so it goes."
God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 11:16:44 PM
At 8/13/2015 11:55:43 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
...Your point being?

I'll tell you my point, since you asked. LOL. We should have never dropped either of those A-Bombs on all those innocent people. totally unwarranted. Japan was already gonna surrender. but we spent all that time and $$ on Manhattan project so we had to test 'em out. what a load of crap. Pure Evil. God was pissed, I can guarantee. sometimes I really doubt my country's past actions. oh well as Kurt Vonnegut said, "And so it goes."
God Bless.

Or we could have just killed millions more civilians and soldiers through a conventional invasion. The bombs were justified, and painfully effective from a political and military standpoint.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 1:09:40 AM
At 8/14/2015 11:16:44 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
...Your point being?

God Bless.

Or we could have just killed millions more civilians and soldiers through a conventional invasion. The bombs were justified, and painfully effective from a political and military standpoint.

we didnt have to do a land invasion either.Like i said Japan had already agreed to most of our terms for Surrender. The "saving lives from a land invasion" is the lame justification our goverment gave the American people for vaporizing 300,000 innocent Japanese. Dont be so naive.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 1:44:33 AM
...Your point being?

I was just commemorating 70 years since the events in question.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 1:46:30 AM
Speaking of which, tomorrow will be the 70th anniversary of the Japanese surrender (though people often place the date of the war's end on September 2, 1945).

The DDO Blog:

Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 2:04:22 AM
At 8/15/2015 1:09:40 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
...Your point being?

God Bless.

we didnt have to do a land invasion either.Like i said Japan had already agreed to most of our terms for Surrender. The "saving lives from a land invasion" is the lame justification our goverment gave the American people for vaporizing 300,000 innocent Japanese. Dont be so naive.

Japan would not have surrendered, they were quite determined in defense of their "empire". The fanatical defense in Sapian, Iwo Jima, etc. is a good testament of that.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 2:06:32 AM
At 8/15/2015 2:04:22 AM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
...Your point being?

God Bless.

Japan would not have surrendered, they were quite determined in defense of their "empire". The fanatical defense in Sapian, Iwo Jima, etc. is a good testament of that.

OK my friend, are ya ready to learn? Good! Thats a start! Read this..........http://www.globalresearch.ca...
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 2:09:26 AM
At 8/15/2015 2:06:32 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
...Your point being?

God Bless.

OK my friend, are ya ready to learn? Good! Thats a start! Read this..........http://www.globalresearch.ca...

I could very easily find an article claiming the exact opposite using convenient quotes as well. Personally, I do not feel that the bombs were the most inhumane aspects of the Pacific War in light of what the Japanese did to China.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 2:15:15 AM
...Your point being?

God Bless.

and.....from University of Maryland Global Politics Professor Guy Alprovitz from his essay on this topic......................

When General Dwight D. Eisenhower, then the Supreme Allied Commander, was informed by the Secretary of War that the atomic bomb was going to be used, he later recalled saying it was unnecessary because Japan was already largely defeated. Eisenhower said the bomb was "no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives." At one point after the war he said bluntly, "It wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing."

Before the bomb was used, U.S. intelligence officials believed the war would likely end when two things happened: When the U.S. let Japan know their Emperor could stay on as a figurehead, and when the Soviet army attacked. The U.S. did tell Japan the Emperor could remain, and the Soviets declared war, as agreed, on August 8.

But U.S. officials chose not to test whether this intelligence was correct. Instead, Hiroshima was bombed on August 6, and Nagasaki on August 9. Because of logistics, an invasion of Japan could not begin for another three months, so the U.S. could have waited to see if Japan would surrender before dropping the atomic bombs.

Most top World War II military leaders are all on record agreeing with Eisenhower. Admiral William Leahy, President Truman's Chief of Staff, later called the bomb a "barbarous weapon" that was unnecessary. Leahy wrote, "The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender. . . . In being the first to use it, we . . . adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages."