Jump to topic:

Favorite WWII Heads of Gov/State

Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 12:37:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
For example Churchill, FDR, Mannerheim, Chiang Kai-Shek, Tiso, Ionescu, etc.

And please don't say Hitler. Unless, of course, you're a neo-nazi than go ahead.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 4:35:02 PM
At 9/4/2015 1:36:19 AM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 9/3/2015 2:31:23 PM, XLAV wrote:
Stalin ftw.

...well then
without him russia is weak
weak russia means german victory
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 7:27:13 PM
At 9/3/2015 12:37:11 AM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

And please don't say Hitler. Unless, of course, you're a neo-nazi than go ahead.

The Head of State which I find most interesting is probably Abraham Lincoln. The man possessed a wit which even to this day seems to go unappreciated by a lot of people, and his entire life is - well - interesting. He was a hands-on President for sure, and he was open to one-on-one debates with almost anyone. No, he wasn't really the "Great Emancipator" that people often make him out to be, but he truly believed in racial equality and the sanctity of the human condition. I think he was a great man.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 7:30:43 PM
Stalin ftw.

I wouldn't pick Stalin because I don't believe that the ends justify the means he employed to consolidate singular power. Stalin could have prevented the war by not being so power-hungry that he made a pact with Hitler to divide Poland between them, as well as awarding himself other territories in exchange for not opposing the German aggression. He didn't give a crap until his own country became the victim.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 7:37:36 PM

Adolf Hitler.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 7:58:11 PM

My favorite leaders were those of Switzerland, who don't really have an analogue to a 'head of state'. I think that they handled WWII in a way which was absolutely brilliant and minimized the damage to their own people and property.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 7:59:32 PM
At 9/6/2015 7:27:13 PM, Idealist wrote:

The Head of State which I find most interesting is probably Abraham Lincoln. The man possessed a wit which even to this day seems to go unappreciated by a lot of people, and his entire life is - well - interesting. He was a hands-on President for sure, and he was open to one-on-one debates with almost anyone. No, he wasn't really the "Great Emancipator" that people often make him out to be, but he truly believed in racial equality and the sanctity of the human condition. I think he was a great man.

I don't think that he was alive during WWII...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 2:00:29 AM
At 9/6/2015 4:35:02 PM, XLAV wrote:
Stalin ftw.

...well then

Uh huh. If anything he weakened Russia tremendously whether through his purges or through his inability to trust loyal generals.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 2:02:25 AM
At 9/6/2015 7:30:43 PM, Idealist wrote:
Stalin ftw.

I wouldn't pick Stalin because I don't believe that the ends justify the means he employed to consolidate singular power. Stalin could have prevented the war by not being so power-hungry that he made a pact with Hitler to divide Poland between them, as well as awarding himself other territories in exchange for not opposing the German aggression. He didn't give a crap until his own country became the victim.

You think the Soviet Union would somehow not get pulled into a war against the Anti-Comitern pact? War with Germany was inevitable.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 5:18:35 AM
At 9/7/2015 2:00:29 AM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
Stalin ftw.

...well then

Uh huh. If anything he weakened Russia tremendously whether through his purges or through his inability to trust loyal generals.

without stalin, no industrialization
no industrialization, no good economy
no good economy, noob army
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 3:54:13 PM
At 9/7/2015 5:18:35 AM, XLAV wrote:
At 9/7/2015 2:00:29 AM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
Stalin ftw.

...well then

without stalin, no industrialization
no industrialization, no good economy
no good economy, noob army

I seriously doubt that Stalin was the only man who could have industrialized Russia.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 3:06:42 PM
At 9/7/2015 3:54:13 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

I seriously doubt that Stalin was the only man who could have industrialized Russia.

No, Stalin wasn't the only man who could have industrialized Russia.

Stalin was the only man who industrialized Russia fast enough to be ready for WW2.