Jump to topic:

Why the America's had no plagues

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 7:10:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Summary: only one species of animal in the New World could've been and was domesticated (the llama). As a result there weren't really any diseases for the New Worlders to catch from animals prior to 1492. Thus the Americas were two essentially sterile continents.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Socraticdeathwish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 9:25:15 PM
This is covered well by Jared Diamond in Guns. Germs, and Steel. The origins of Bubonic plague are interesting - it evolved in the last 20 000 years in the Old World from the ancestor of it and Yersinia Pseudotuberculosis, and according to the Wikipedia article, was distributed throughout the world in 3 epidemics, the last of which reached the Americas at the beginning of the 20th century. So we can"t blame the Conquistadors directly for that one. Now that it has spread worldwide it continues to exist in reservoir populations of small rodents on all the continents save for Antartica (obviously) and Australia.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2015 3:50:09 AM
At 11/25/2015 12:23:46 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Great video --------->

I love CGP Grey's videos, would recommend them to anyone. He takes some complicated things and manages to relay the info so that it's easily understandable, but it's still pretty detailed and accurate.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2015 4:02:08 AM
At 12/4/2015 3:50:09 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 11/25/2015 12:23:46 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Great video --------->

I love CGP Grey's videos, would recommend them to anyone. He takes some complicated things and manages to relay the info so that it's easily understandable, but it's still pretty detailed and accurate.

Probably his best video yet.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW