Jump to topic:

Did US soldiers use torture in Vietnam?

THsea
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 6:39:42 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
I've never really thought about this! It is interesting. I've always assumed they did...

However, this is just an assumption.

My father was a soldier in the Vietnam War (an American soldier), and has told me about some terrible atrocities... One instance he told me about, a different countries soldier (I think he said it was a Korean soldier..? it was a long time ago) that was questioning a few captured VC soldiers... They wouldn't talk, so the Korean soldier murdered one of the VC soldiers in front of the others. A knifehand strike to the throat. The others started talking.

Most of his stories seem less... Like they could be out of a movie. However, he is a good story teller, probably his best quality. He refuses to talk about the subject much. He does claim they used a few weapons that are explicitly banned by the Geneva Convention. He said they had a lot of fun with the bee-hive grenade rounds.

I'll follow this topic, it will be interesting to see anyone's input, especially if they have sources they can post... I cannot post mine really, I don't think my father would be okay with giving his name online! I wouldn't be okay with that either.

He was in the 25th Infantry Division. He received two Purple Heart's from his activity in the war... That's all I can really divulge. He got a big kick out of the movie "Tropic Thunder", btw. He was the one who told me the name was a play on his old division.
mattyalby
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 1:10:22 PM
If throwing internationally banned chemicals like napalm on the Vietnamese can be called torture then yes they did. They entered the war only because they felt a deprivation in their sense of security.
SocialTeacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 7:45:34 PM
The question hasn't to be asked. Well, do you think US had the right to use torture for an ideology ?And, what should say russians ? Do you think ti was easy for vietnamiens ? They just finished a war against France, for their indepandance. In the USA, a lot of pacifists made peace demonstrations to stop war...