Jump to topic:

Symmetrical+Guerrilla Warfare?

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 5:01:04 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Asymmetrical and guerrilla warfare generally go hand in hand. The weaker side knows that it has no chance of winning if it uses conventional tactics so it resorts to the use of guerrilla warfare.
Here's my question: since guerilla/insurgent warfare gives you such a huge boost, why don't conventional militaries use this style when fighting other militaries? Wouldn't high-quality equipment, professionally trained soldiers, and large amounts of supplies make an invincible insurgent army?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 5:07:28 AM
At 12/18/2015 5:01:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Asymmetrical and guerrilla warfare generally go hand in hand. The weaker side knows that it has no chance of winning if it uses conventional tactics so it resorts to the use of guerrilla warfare.
Here's my question: since guerilla/insurgent warfare gives you such a huge boost, why don't conventional militaries use this style when fighting other militaries? Wouldn't high-quality equipment, professionally trained soldiers, and large amounts of supplies make an invincible insurgent army?

I was gonna 2 make a thread bout dis m8.... but I wuz 2 lazy
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 2:07:45 AM

I think that they actually have begun using this strategy. It's why modern armies rely on lesser numbers and greater training. They especially rely on special forces who are supplied with the self-same high-quality equipment you mentioned and who can be inserted into the enemies' infrastructure to destroy it from within. Of course, they also have to also maintain their own convention military in case of a conflict with another like it.
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 2:49:02 AM

It's why America has gone away from conventional ground troop warfare and emphasized special operations.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 10:26:43 AM
Guerrilla Warefare doesn't conquer nations. Hide a thousand soldiers in the forest, and all you get is a thousand soldiers hiding in a forest. But most nations do incorporate Geurrilla strategies into their tactics, such as surgical strikes, covert operations, etc.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
greatkitteh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 7:34:27 AM
Gurellia warfare wont defend your territory. If you are trying to defend your nation using gurellia war, Why even fight the war?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 7:06:42 PM

To have guerrilla warfare, you need some sort of natural shrubbery to hide your troops. You cannot do this in the desert or in the grasslands. You can only have guerrilla warfare in very densely forested regions, or even regions with jungles or impassable terrain. That's why guerrilla warfare was so effective in the Revolutionary War, as well as wars with Native Americans. They just hid behind the trees and ambushed the troops, and the British didn't have training surmountable to guerrilla warfare, plus they lacked the home field advantage. Same thing with the Vietnam War.

A modern day military will have a hard time fighting a guerrilla war, especially if that military has advanced technology that isn't so easy to hide. Plus, with the usage of an air force, guerrilla warfare isn't really that effective anymore.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 12:11:14 AM
At 12/31/2015 7:06:42 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Plus, with the usage of an air force, guerrilla warfare isn't really that effective anymore.

Gotta love napalm.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 12:12:29 AM
At 1/1/2016 12:11:14 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
Plus, with the usage of an air force, guerrilla warfare isn't really that effective anymore.

Gotta love napalm.

Your profile picture.... When BB did that, the entire theater started laughing.

And yes, napalm is so good. You only need 11 kills or something to unlock it.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 12:13:49 AM
At 1/1/2016 12:12:29 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Gotta love napalm.

Same

Mhm. It's my favorite killstreak.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 12:14:50 AM
At 1/1/2016 12:13:49 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Gotta love napalm.

Same

The best part was when Han was motioning for Rey, and Finn was like "why you doin that, why you doin that?

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 12:19:31 AM
At 1/1/2016 12:14:50 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 1/1/2016 12:13:49 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Gotta love napalm.

Same

The best part was when Han was motioning for Rey, and Finn was like "why you doin that, why you doin that?

Yeah. That was good, too. The humor in that episode was something different from the other 6. I liked it a lot.
Suh dude