Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

World's Oldest Known Building

Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 2:47:50 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Predating the Pyramids by 500 years this Irish building precisely marks the winter solstice!

I am continually amazed at what ancient people managed to build.

http://wattsupwiththat.com...
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2015 10:28:01 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/21/2015 2:47:50 PM, Geogeer wrote:
Predating the Pyramids by 500 years this Irish building precisely marks the winter solstice!

I am continually amazed at what ancient people managed to build.

http://wattsupwiththat.com...

It's crazy hey, trying to fathom it. Time on there hands and making people build it. Like the sphinx , lucky the did not get a visit from the safety inspectors. Unfair dismisel , or minum wage groups.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 10:46:05 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
What about the Stonehenge? It could be one of the oldest, as long as it's considered to be an actual building.

Probably the Pyramids would be the safest bet. Maybe even the Hanging Gardens, or the Lighthouse of Alexandria would be among the oldest buildings.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 6:39:55 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/3/2016 10:46:05 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
What about the Stonehenge? It could be one of the oldest, as long as it's considered to be an actual building.

Probably the Pyramids would be the safest bet. Maybe even the Hanging Gardens, or the Lighthouse of Alexandria would be among the oldest buildings.

Oddly enough the article states:

Newgrange was built 1,000 years before Stonehenge and also predates the pyramids by more than 500 years.
Peepette
Posts: 1,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 7:35:29 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
How about Gobekli Tepe in Turkey. This was done during a time when people where still considered hunter gatherers between 10,000 and 9,000 BC.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 11:22:56 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/7/2016 7:35:29 PM, Peepette wrote:
How about Gobekli Tepe in Turkey. This was done during a time when people where still considered hunter gatherers between 10,000 and 9,000 BC.

That is older, but it isn't necessarily a building. There is debate as to whether there was a roof on it.