Jump to topic:

This Forum is dead

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 12:09:46 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
No one wants to debate actual history in this forum anymore, as history isn't necessarily up to opinion, but more based on facts.

Everything is political in this forum nowadays, which isn't that bad, but it does detract from the intent of this forum in specific.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 12:15:37 AM
At 1/20/2016 12:09:46 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
No one wants to debate actual history in this forum anymore, as history isn't necessarily up to opinion, but more based on facts.

Everything is political in this forum nowadays, which isn't that bad, but it does detract from the intent of this forum in specific.

The Science forum has a similar problem. Pretty much 80% of the threads there are dedicated to Evolution/Creationism or Abortion.

ps: Still up for that history debate you promised 3 weeks ago?
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 12:20:53 AM
At 1/20/2016 12:15:37 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:

The Science forum has a similar problem. Pretty much 80% of the threads there are dedicated to Evolution/Creationism or Abortion.

The Science, arts, history, entertainment, etc. forums are all dead. The only forums that matter are Games, Politics, religion, society, personal, misc. and the ddo forum.

I forget what the topic was going to be, or if I set a topic in the first place. I will debate you so long as the topic is right.

And by right I mean something that isn't along the lines of "Who won the 100 years wars" which has a definite answer. It doesn't matter the part of history, I know all of it. Literally.... all of it.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 1:04:39 AM
At 1/20/2016 12:20:53 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

The Science, arts, history, entertainment, etc. forums are all dead. The only forums that matter are Games, Politics, religion, society, personal, misc. and the ddo forum.

I forget what the topic was going to be, or if I set a topic in the first place. I will debate you so long as the topic is right.

And by right I mean something that isn't along the lines of "Who won the 100 years wars" which has a definite answer. It doesn't matter the part of history, I know all of it. Literally.... all of it.

Are you leaning towards any topic in particular? I'd be fine with any, though I'm leaning towards debating on whether the First Crusade was justified.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 1:09:22 AM
At 1/20/2016 1:04:39 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Are you leaning towards any topic in particular? I'd be fine with any, though I'm leaning towards debating on whether the First Crusade was justified.

Depends. List them out for me, although I do believe (and so does historical context) that the 1st Crusade was more than justified as a defensive war.

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 1:10:26 AM
At 1/20/2016 1:09:22 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Depends. List them out for me, although I do believe (and so does historical context) that the 1st Crusade was more than justified as a defensive war.

list out topics or list out my arguments?
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 1:12:02 AM
At 1/20/2016 1:10:26 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Topics and if you are pro or con on them

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 1:19:39 AM
At 1/20/2016 1:12:02 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Okay. Here are a few start off topics:

The First Crusade was justified (Con)

Operation Barbarossa was doomed to fail (Pro)

China would have been better off under the Guomingdang (Pro or Con, position not yet affirmed)

Greece would have been better off under Persian rule (Pro, though I can argue both sides)

The creation of Article 9 was justified (Pro)
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 1:23:49 AM
At 1/20/2016 1:19:39 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 1/20/2016 1:12:02 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Okay. Here are a few start off topics:

The First Crusade was justified (Con)

Operation Barbarossa was doomed to fail (Pro)

China would have been better off under the Guomingdang (Pro or Con, position not yet affirmed)

Greece would have been better off under Persian rule (Pro, though I can argue both sides)

The creation of Article 9 was justified (Pro)

I would do the one about the Crusades, although not now. I am far too busy now.

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 3:37:40 PM
At 1/20/2016 1:23:08 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:
Same with Sports and Technology.

Philosophy and News are kind of in the middle.

Yes, but it i just sad, seeing them pot 5 days ago or something.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 4:08:40 PM

Help revive it for us
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 2:13:47 AM
Posted: 4 months ago

http://i2.kym-cdn.com...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
JohnF.Kennedy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 1:15:11 PM
Posted: 3 months ago

That's like saying, "europe would have been better off under arab rule".
It is every easy for you to say, but being Greek myself it sounds utterly stupid.
Greece has played a major role in... everything, even after the end of the Hellenistic period.
If you were a random guy on facebook I'd continue this paragraph with a bunch of ad hominem attacks but that's alright
I actually do not care at all about any refugees, I have said time and time again that Europes external borders should be maintained by autonomous 30mm grenade launchers firing air burst rounds.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 9:18:26 PM
At 8/9/2016 1:15:11 PM, JohnF.Kennedy wrote:

It is every easy for you to say, but being Greek myself it sounds utterly stupid.
Greece has played a major role in... everything, even after the end of the Hellenistic period.
If you were a random guy on facebook I'd continue this paragraph with a bunch of ad hominem attacks but that's alright

Most provinces under the Acahmenid Persians were allowed to maintain religious practices and some degree of sovreeignty so long as loyalty to the emperor was maintained (comparable to the later Abbasids), so even if Greece was conquered. Little would have been lost of Greece (culturally speaking) and the governments that the Greek states chose to live under would not have changed much albeit a slight switch in the chain of command.

Given the massive wealth of the Persians at the time, it wouldn't be unreasonable to say Greece would have benefited in some way.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
JohnF.Kennedy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 9:28:59 AM
At 8/9/2016 9:18:26 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Most provinces under the Acahmenid Persians were allowed to maintain religious practices and some degree of sovreeignty so long as loyalty to the emperor was maintained (comparable to the later Abbasids), so even if Greece was conquered. Little would have been lost of Greece (culturally speaking) and the governments that the Greek states chose to live under would not have changed much albeit a slight switch in the chain of command.

Given the massive wealth of the Persians at the time, it wouldn't be unreasonable to say Greece would have benefited in some way.

Not at all, that's stupid
You think that because we were under Persian occupation for a few years 2 millenia ago, we would be better off now?
We don't care about Persian wealth, is that all there is to it? Money?
I actually do not care at all about any refugees, I have said time and time again that Europes external borders should be maintained by autonomous 30mm grenade launchers firing air burst rounds.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:58:26 PM
At 8/11/2016 9:28:59 AM, JohnF.Kennedy wrote:

You think that because we were under Persian occupation for a few years 2 millenia ago, we would be better off now?

Persian Occupation would have probably been longer if the Greek could maintained. If Persian occupation of Greece had lasted long as say, Rome's occupation of Britain then I see little reason why the Greek wouldn't benefit.

Economic benefit was literally only the last sentence of my paragraph long post, I had mentioned sovereignty, religious tolerance and preservation of culture, you're singling everything out.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
JohnF.Kennedy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 10:58:09 AM
At 8/11/2016 12:58:26 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 8/11/2016 9:28:59 AM, JohnF.Kennedy wrote:

Persian Occupation would have probably been longer if the Greek could maintained. If Persian occupation of Greece had lasted long as say, Rome's occupation of Britain then I see little reason why the Greek wouldn't benefit.

Economic benefit was literally only the last sentence of my paragraph long post, I had mentioned sovereignty, religious tolerance and preservation of culture, you're singling everything out.

I'd rather my nation have full, real, ACTUAL sovereignty. What would happen if Alexander never built his empire? That would leave a huge gap in our history. Greek influence in the middle east and india, all gone, the hellenistic period, never happened.
It would be impossible to not be culturally influenced by a conqueror
JohnF.Kennedy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 11:17:25 AM
And to add on to that because I can't edit:
Our language and their gods could be maintained under Persian rule, sure, but the aspects of it that made it distinct couldn't, because they couldn't develop under the political and social situation, where freedom was the most important. The persians set limits and boundaries within of which cultures of the conquered people were allowed to exercise. Maybe they wouldn't be actively oppressed but this effects their free and unrestricted evolution of culture, Greek culture was based on self-confident humanism, the kind that autocratic rule under a king would strive to destroy