Jump to topic:

Historical battle rematch

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:21:45 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Which battle would you want to see a rematch for?

For me it would be the Battle of Stalingrad. Most epic showdown between Germany and Russia.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:27:27 AM
At 2/1/2016 2:21:45 AM, tajshar2k wrote:

For me it would be the Battle of Stalingrad. Most epic showdown between Germany and Russia.

The Battle of Gettysburg. I would love to not live in an America where a precedence of martial law, grabbing of executive power, and elimination of natural and Constitutional rights under a Dictator like Lincoln didn't exist.

And no, I do not agree with slavery. I do agree with separation of powers and the 10th amendment however.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:34:19 AM
At 2/1/2016 2:27:27 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:

The Battle of Gettysburg. I would love to not live in an America where a precedence of martial law, grabbing of executive power, and elimination of natural and Constitutional rights under a Dictator like Lincoln didn't exist.

And no, I do not agree with slavery. I do agree with separation of powers and the 10th amendment however.

I certainly think the formation of the Union and reintegration of the South into the United States was far more beneficial than the alternative.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:37:49 AM

Hmmm...

I would agree with Stalingrad, I would have preferred a Nazi Russia over a Communist Russia.

Battle of Marathon, being in the Greek favor. Same with the battle of Syracuse.

Any battle that Muhammad won, also.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:39:54 AM

Good choice. The Civil War had some pretty intense battles, and this was one of them.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:42:06 AM
At 2/1/2016 2:37:49 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Hmmm...

I would agree with Stalingrad, I would have preferred a Nazi Russia over a Communist Russia.

Minus the Holocaust and Racial policies, I'd prefer the Germans. In every war movie I seen occurring on the Eastern Front, I secretly hope the Germans kick those Commies all the way to Moscow. The Russians got wrecked so badly in the early days of the war.

I don't believe he's a real person, but if he did then I'd support the other side for every battle.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:44:48 AM
At 2/1/2016 2:42:06 AM, tajshar2k wrote:

Hmmm...

Minus the Holocaust and Racial policies, I'd prefer the Germans. In every war movie I seen occurring on the Eastern Front, I secretly hope the Germans kick those Commies all the way to Moscow. The Russians got wrecked so badly in the early days of the war.

Nazis were vastly superior. Their people had pride, money, property, and a good life. The Communists were terrible, mass poverty, etc. Both governments were equally corrupt though.

I don't believe he's a real person, but if he did then I'd support the other side for every battle.

He was a real person. If he wasn't, then whoever invented this idiot is the most worthless human being to walk this planet, other than Karl Marx.

walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:44:54 AM
At 2/1/2016 2:34:19 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I certainly think the formation of the Union and reintegration of the South into the United States was far more beneficial than the alternative.

What if it were the formation of the Union and reintegration of the North though? That would've made the south much more willing to work with the north in bringing in civil rights and the eventual abolition of slavery I think. A lot of the racism and Jim Crowe laws were born out of having been defeated along with being forcibly told that you could no longer own slaves. I don't think the south would've taken the position of the republican party after the war in their intents to undermine the south as much as possible during reconstruction either. By most estimates, slavery would've been almost completely fazed out of society by the end of reconstruction anyway.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:48:21 AM
At 2/1/2016 2:44:54 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:

What if it were the formation of the Union and reintegration of the North though? That would've made the south much more willing to work with the north in bringing in civil rights and the eventual abolition of slavery I think. A lot of the racism and Jim Crowe laws were born out of having been defeated along with being forcibly told that you could no longer own slaves. I don't think the south would've taken the position of the republican party after the war in their intents to undermine the south as much as possible during reconstruction either. By most estimates, slavery would've been almost completely fazed out of society by the end of reconstruction anyway.

If the South had won, much of the North's industrial sector would have been destroyed, and the economy would have tanked. The only reason why reconstruction didn't last such a long time was because the North was able to manufacture great amounts of steel to help aid in rebuilding the South, while the opposite was not true. Also, the wealthy land-owning elite in the South would have had slavery kept around for quite a long time, and the civil rights movement would have shifted forward by decades.

Either way, the South COULD NOT have won, regardless of the impact.

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:49:08 AM
At 2/1/2016 2:44:48 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Hmmm...

Nazis were vastly superior. Their people had pride, money, property, and a good life. The Communists were terrible, mass poverty, etc. Both governments were equally corrupt though.

+1

If we were talking about real life, the Russians are basically the reason WW2 was won by the Allies. With their brutal military policies, the Russians sacrificed about 20 million of their own troops to stop the 3rd reich, diminishing a vast number of the Wehrmacht's best troops, which made it easier for the folks on the Western front. We all should be thankful for Comrade Stalin in this case, even though that f*cker killed like 40 million of his own people like 10 years later.

He was a real person. If he wasn't, then whoever invented this idiot is the most worthless human being to walk this planet, other than Karl Marx.

haha +1
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:51:12 AM

American Civil war, so the south can rise again
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:52:07 AM

Battle of Somme
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:53:22 AM
At 2/1/2016 2:52:07 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Battle of Somme

Somme was pretty intense. After watching War Horse, you can really see how terrible it was.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:54:56 AM
At 2/1/2016 2:52:34 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Battle of Tours

Battle of Vienna

Yo.

*Grabs popcorn*

walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:58:46 AM
At 2/1/2016 2:48:21 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 2/1/2016 2:44:54 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:

If the South had won, much of the North's industrial sector would have been destroyed, and the economy would have tanked. The only reason why reconstruction didn't last such a long time was because the North was able to manufacture great amounts of steel to help aid in rebuilding the South, while the opposite was not true. Also, the wealthy land-owning elite in the South would have had slavery kept around for quite a long time, and the civil rights movement would have shifted forward by decades.

Either way, the South COULD NOT have won, regardless of the impact.

Well only 5% of the south in 1860 owned slaves, and that number really could only go down faster and faster as the turn of the century approached. It just wouldn't have been economical to keep 100 slaves when with new technology 10 could do the same work.

I think the only part of the civil rights movement that would've been slowed were the post war amendments. I don't think there would've been any deep seated hatred and racism for blacks after the Civil War like there was after the South lost. There'd be no reason to hate them at all if the South won.

It's like responding to being told by your pissed off mom to go clean your room when you're a teenager. You were going to do it anyway, but now you're angry and less likely to do it because your mom b*tched at you about it.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:59:18 AM
Battle of Tours

Battle of Vienna

*Grabs popcorn*

I have to admit, the Ottomans are my favorite Islamic empire. They are pretty cool.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 3:01:20 AM
At 2/1/2016 2:59:18 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
Battle of Tours

Battle of Vienna

*Grabs popcorn*

I have to admit, the Ottomans are my favorite Islamic empire. They are pretty cool.

I for one welcome our feathery imperial overlords: http://cdn1.theodysseyonline.com...
"Change your sig."
~YYW
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 3:03:54 AM
At 2/1/2016 2:54:56 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Battle of Tours

Battle of Vienna

Yo.

Battle of Targoviste

First Ummayad siege of Constantinople

Battle of Covadonga

Battle of Calugareni

Battle of Lepanto

http://i.imgur.com...

Turkey>Chicken
"Change your sig."
~YYW
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 3:47:11 AM

The Battle of Actium (One of the most important sea battles in history), the Battle of Opis (Brilliantly executed), or the Siege of Vienna (One of the most important land battles).
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
StarCraft
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 6:01:07 AM

Hmmm...

Are you saying you would support the genocide of the entire Soviet population (not just the Russian population)? Without the Soviets the Germans may well have won WWII. Most Americans don't really understand how the war in the east differed from that of the other major fronts. Unsurprisingly since most Americans probably have no clue where Stalingrad is or that there was ever an eastern front when D-Day happened. Anyway you should be ashamed of yourself. Same goes for bballcrook21 .
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 1:17:28 PM
At 2/1/2016 6:01:07 AM, StarCraft wrote:

Hmmm...

Are you saying you would support the genocide of the entire Soviet population (not just the Russian population)? Without the Soviets the Germans may well have won WWII. Most Americans don't really understand how the war in the east differed from that of the other major fronts. Unsurprisingly since most Americans probably have no clue where Stalingrad is or that there was ever an eastern front when D-Day happened. Anyway you should be ashamed of yourself. Same goes for bballcrook21 .

Chill out dude. I literally said right below I'm thankful for the Russians for what they did in WW2. I just don't like Russians and Russia in general, so I do something secretly cheer for the Germans when I see a war movie on the Eastern Front. I don't actually wish Nazi Germany beat Soviet Russia on the Eastern Front, otherwise WW2 might not have been a victory.

No I shouldn't be ashamed of myself. I'm pretty sure you don't care when American soldiers or people getting blown up by terrorists.

You need to understand what people are talking about entirely, not just follow up on one post and assume things.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 10:16:53 PM

To name a few:

The Battle of the Bulge
Siege of Jerusalem (1099)
Siege of Jerusalem (1187)
Battle of Berlin
Battle of Stalingrad (because who wouldn't want to see the largest, longest, worst battle of the Eastern Front?)
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 2:47:48 AM

I don't believe he's a real person,

That couldn't be any farther from the truth.
"Change your sig."
~YYW
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 3:18:12 AM

Hmmm...

The Germans were better than the Soviets.

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 5:28:06 AM

Hmmm...

The Nazis wouldn't have killed all the Soviets. Hell, the might not have even killed the Jews had they done better in the war.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
StarCraft
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 6:28:17 AM
At 2/2/2016 3:18:12 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Hmmm...

The Germans were better than the Soviets.

In what way? They lost.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 6:49:35 AM

Land: Battle of Cannae
Sea: Lepanto or maybe Trafalger