Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Dumbest history moment

Reformist
Posts: 743
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 12:35:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/9/2016 4:32:15 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:
What do you think is the dumbest history moment ever? (Including screw ups and dumb beliefs)

Probably Hitler invading Russia. Hitler bombing britian instead of invading it. Japan bombing pear harbor
DDO History Revival Officer
Fuher of the Reich

"I'm not Asian"-Vaarka

"I would rather have a fascist than a socialist in office"- Bball

To be a feminist or to be smart that is the question
PetersSmith
Posts: 6,212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:56:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/9/2016 4:32:15 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:
What do you think is the dumbest history moment ever? (Including screw ups and dumb beliefs)

The Pig War and the Great Emu War.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 8:51:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Gettysburg. When the rebels entered our country they were inside our telegraph network and our railroad network.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 11:45:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I would probably have to say France's reaction (or lack of it) to Germany reoccupying the Rhine. Had France attacked Germany once they occupied the Rhine, then Germany would have lost stability and Hitler would most likely have been deposed, or even killed.

Another mistake was never reading Mein Kampf. He literally laid out his plans in that book.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,783
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 12:17:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm not sure which war was a larger brain-fart: The People's Crusade or the The Fourth Crusade?
"Arms are weak, mom's spaghetti"
-Plato
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 1:05:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/10/2016 12:17:45 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
I'm not sure which war was a larger brain-fart: The People's Crusade or the The Fourth Crusade?

Maybe all the Jihads.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,783
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 1:07:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/10/2016 1:05:06 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 2/10/2016 12:17:45 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
I'm not sure which war was a larger brain-fart: The People's Crusade or the The Fourth Crusade?

Maybe all the Jihads.

Jihad is just arabic for struggle, it barely even has any religious connotation in the arabic language and only becomes religious if called "jihad'l fiasabililah" (literally, "struggle in the way of God". You're basically saying all struggles in human history were stupid.
"Arms are weak, mom's spaghetti"
-Plato
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 1:10:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/10/2016 1:07:17 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 2/10/2016 1:05:06 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 2/10/2016 12:17:45 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
I'm not sure which war was a larger brain-fart: The People's Crusade or the The Fourth Crusade?

Maybe all the Jihads.

Jihad is just arabic for struggle, it barely even has any religious connotation in the arabic language and only becomes religious if called "jihad'l fiasabililah" (literally, "struggle in the way of God". You're basically saying all struggles in human history were stupid.

You know exactly what I was implying.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,783
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 1:13:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/10/2016 1:10:35 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 2/10/2016 1:07:17 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 2/10/2016 1:05:06 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 2/10/2016 12:17:45 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
I'm not sure which war was a larger brain-fart: The People's Crusade or the The Fourth Crusade?

Maybe all the Jihads.

Jihad is just arabic for struggle, it barely even has any religious connotation in the arabic language and only becomes religious if called "jihad'l fiasabililah" (literally, "struggle in the way of God". You're basically saying all struggles in human history were stupid.

You know exactly what I was implying.

Jihad= struggle.

Even if I assume the religious connotation, you've still made a vague blanket statement. You're basically saying all religious struggles were failures.
"Arms are weak, mom's spaghetti"
-Plato
walker_harris3
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 2:25:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Former NY Governor, Ford VP and presidential aid Nelson Rockefeller pinning down his 27 year old mistress after collapsing and dying of a heart attack during sexual intercourse in 1979 at age 71. The girl was literally trapped under his dead body for 30 minutes
Reformist
Posts: 743
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 9:35:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/10/2016 2:25:30 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:
Former NY Governor, Ford VP and presidential aid Nelson Rockefeller pinning down his 27 year old mistress after collapsing and dying of a heart attack during sexual intercourse in 1979 at age 71. The girl was literally trapped under his dead body for 30 minutes

How does this relate to history?
DDO History Revival Officer
Fuher of the Reich

"I'm not Asian"-Vaarka

"I would rather have a fascist than a socialist in office"- Bball

To be a feminist or to be smart that is the question
walker_harris3
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 1:44:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/10/2016 9:35:07 PM, Reformist wrote:
At 2/10/2016 2:25:30 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:
Former NY Governor, Ford VP and presidential aid Nelson Rockefeller pinning down his 27 year old mistress after collapsing and dying of a heart attack during sexual intercourse in 1979 at age 71. The girl was literally trapped under his dead body for 30 minutes

How does this relate to history?

History: The study of past events, particularly human affairs.
That's how a dominant figure in US politics for decades died
Yassine
Posts: 2,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 8:15:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/10/2016 1:13:19 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 2/10/2016 1:10:35 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 2/10/2016 1:07:17 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 2/10/2016 1:05:06 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 2/10/2016 12:17:45 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
I'm not sure which war was a larger brain-fart: The People's Crusade or the The Fourth Crusade?

Maybe all the Jihads.

Jihad is just arabic for struggle, it barely even has any religious connotation in the arabic language and only becomes religious if called "jihad'l fiasabililah" (literally, "struggle in the way of God". You're basically saying all struggles in human history were stupid.

You know exactly what I was implying.

Jihad= struggle.

Even if I assume the religious connotation, you've still made a vague blanket statement. You're basically saying all religious struggles were failures.

- Ignore him, his blind hatred goes deeeep...
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,701
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 5:05:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/10/2016 12:17:45 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
I'm not sure which war was a larger brain-fart: The People's Crusade or the The Fourth Crusade?

Hahaha, the Fourth Crusade was fvcking hilarious. Venice was literally the only winner; everyone else was screwed over. Enrico Dandolo was a BOSS.
"The wounded surgeon plies the steel
That questions the distempered part;
Beneath the bleeding hands we feel
The sharp compassion of the healer's art"
- T. S. Eliot -
tejretics
Posts: 6,326
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 7:21:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/12/2016 5:05:08 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/10/2016 12:17:45 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
I'm not sure which war was a larger brain-fart: The People's Crusade or the The Fourth Crusade?

Hahaha, the Fourth Crusade was fvcking hilarious. Venice was literally the only winner; everyone else was screwed over. Enrico Dandolo was a BOSS.

Isn't that the guy whose tomb is at Hagia Sophia?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass

http://gotejas.com...
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 9:11:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/9/2016 4:32:15 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:
What do you think is the dumbest history moment ever? (Including screw ups and dumb beliefs)

Japanese attack on pearl harbour. Narrowly followed by the Nazi invasion of Russia.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,701
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 12:11:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/13/2016 7:21:24 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 2/12/2016 5:05:08 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/10/2016 12:17:45 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
I'm not sure which war was a larger brain-fart: The People's Crusade or the The Fourth Crusade?

Hahaha, the Fourth Crusade was fvcking hilarious. Venice was literally the only winner; everyone else was screwed over. Enrico Dandolo was a BOSS.

Isn't that the guy whose tomb is at Hagia Sophia?

He, he basically funded the Fourth Crusade when it went broke and used it to annex most of the Byzantine empire and to reclaim a Dalmatian city-state. It was considered one the the most destructive Crusades for Christendom, because it weakened the Byzantine empire considerably.
"The wounded surgeon plies the steel
That questions the distempered part;
Beneath the bleeding hands we feel
The sharp compassion of the healer's art"
- T. S. Eliot -
XLAV
Posts: 14,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 4:09:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
That battle during the napoleonic era, that I forgot the name of, where Austrian soldiers fought each other and cause massive friendly fire casualties.
Baby, you're the highlight of my lowlife