Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Who did most to defeat the Axis in WWII?

xus00HAY
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 8:41:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The Russians. It was a group effort of course, but Stalin had a never surrender policy, and 26 million Russians died, they also killed more Germans than anyone else. I guess Stalin thought every Russian that the Krauts kill is one less Russian we have to feed.
Reformist
Posts: 747
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 8:47:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/9/2016 8:26:26 PM, StarCraft wrote:
Thoughts?

The russians

LOL

Theres no debate their
DDO History Revival Officer
Fuher of the Reich

"I'm not Asian"-Vaarka

"I would rather have a fascist than a socialist in office"- Bball

To be a feminist or to be smart that is the question
StarCraft
Posts: 13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 8:52:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/9/2016 8:47:57 PM, Reformist wrote:
At 2/9/2016 8:26:26 PM, StarCraft wrote:
Thoughts?

The russians

LOL

Theres no debate their

Most Americans would think it was them who won it. Also, take a look at this picture.
http://www.les-crises.fr...
I got it from this website
http://www.les-crises.fr...
Reformist
Posts: 747
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 8:55:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/9/2016 8:52:17 PM, StarCraft wrote:
At 2/9/2016 8:47:57 PM, Reformist wrote:
At 2/9/2016 8:26:26 PM, StarCraft wrote:
Thoughts?

The russians

LOL

Theres no debate their

Most Americans would think it was them who won it. Also, take a look at this picture.
http://www.les-crises.fr...
I got it from this website
http://www.les-crises.fr...

They actually honestly did nothing.

Yeah they took normandy but the US wouldve been crushed just like the Brits and the French if the germans didnt waste troops and time with Russia. Also that is a biased poll. As for you poll the 1945 shows that the Russians did the job because thats the truth. However as time progresses people become ignorant of the it and just go AMERICA DID EVERYHTING.
DDO History Revival Officer
Fuher of the Reich

"I'm not Asian"-Vaarka

"I would rather have a fascist than a socialist in office"- Bball

To be a feminist or to be smart that is the question
chui
Posts: 561
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 9:21:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/9/2016 8:26:26 PM, StarCraft wrote:
Thoughts?

In terms of military casualties:
Soviet union 10,000,000
China 3,000,000
British empire forces 600,000
USA 400,000

In terms of battles I would say the battle of Britain is the most significant allied victory. With Britain out of the war it would be almost impossible to supply the Soviet Union in the immediate aftermath of Barbarossa and the axis forces would be able to walk into the middle east and secure all the oil supplies they needed.
Let's hope "the truth is out there" cos there is bugger all round here.
WAM
Posts: 140
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 12:37:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The Axis themselves.. With the amount of stupid military decisions they made it's no surprise they were defeated....
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 11:42:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/9/2016 8:26:26 PM, StarCraft wrote:
Thoughts?

In my view probably the ussr although a strong case for the British empire and the USA can be made. All 3 were needed to win the war in my view though.
XLAV
Posts: 14,343
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 4:13:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Depends on the front.
Europe - Russia
Pacific - US
North Africa - British

Overall, Russia did the most damage to the axis powers.
Baby, you're the highlight of my lowlife

Favorite Debate:
Muhammad Drawing Contest
http://www.debate.org...
StarCraft
Posts: 13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 10:35:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/13/2016 4:13:09 PM, XLAV wrote:
Depends on the front.
Europe - Russia
Pacific - US
North Africa - British

Overall, Russia did the most damage to the axis powers.

You can't forget the Chinese. They started fighting in 1937 and before Japan attacked America most Japanese soldiers were fighting in China. Even according to Japanese statistics, the Japanese suffered roughly two million casualties during their stay in China.
Nerva
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 11:09:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/13/2016 10:35:35 PM, StarCraft wrote:
At 2/13/2016 4:13:09 PM, XLAV wrote:
Depends on the front.
Europe - Russia
Pacific - US
North Africa - British

Overall, Russia did the most damage to the axis powers.

You can't forget the Chinese. They started fighting in 1937 and before Japan attacked America most Japanese soldiers were fighting in China. Even according to Japanese statistics, the Japanese suffered roughly two million casualties during their stay in China.

Exactly. Japan made a terrible move by attacking China. Not only did they commit mass atrocities that screwed up their current relationship with China, but they also wasted lots of money and troops that they could have diverted to fighting the Russians from the East.
Don't get on my nerva.
Quadrunner
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 6:21:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
First of all, America doesn't get MVP in the world wars but it was an important, and possibly essential influence.

Second, are you kidding me? Britain, hands down. The axis powers were superior to them throughout WWII, until they had American Military support. They could have kissed @#$ and tried to gain peace with Germany, but they didn't. They just kept fighting and fighting and fighting and fighting right from the beginning, and Stopped slowed the axis progression enough for allied resources to come together. Germany should not have invaded Russia. Hitler should have went for Europe and called it a day, because Russia is always Russia and Stalin will always be Stalin. I feel like if Germany was able to focus all their resources against Russia though, they could have taken and held at least a large portion by the time America came from the west and south. (Germany expected American intervention before the Americans) The Russian's didn't have any moral or loyalty under Stalin. They had strength in numbers, logistical might, and that's all. Stalin got really lucky. He would have still had a country since the Blitzkrieg only stretches so far, but Russia wouldn't have defeated the axis on their own, not under Stalin's leadership. German forces were at Moscow before the tables turned, and Russian's were surrendering by the hundred's of thousands. Had Germany had just a little more, I think they could have pulled it off, and stabilized before Russia really got going.

Britain was set to defend for awhile, but they were never going to be able to defeat the axis powers with their European allies taken and in all likely hood would eventually be taken. I'm amazed at their foresight, and bravery. Logically from the axis point of view, they're strategy should have been to seek peace against such a power. There was no guarantee that America would continue to send the supplies they needed to persist, and it was known from the beginning that America was not interested in joining the war. Russia was not being invaded yet. They're early action had the greatest influence on the course of the war and contributed victory on the Russian front, as well as an established American foothold.
Quadrunner
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 6:59:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/13/2016 11:09:14 PM, Nerva wrote:
At 2/13/2016 10:35:35 PM, StarCraft wrote:
At 2/13/2016 4:13:09 PM, XLAV wrote:
Depends on the front.
Europe - Russia
Pacific - US
North Africa - British

Overall, Russia did the most damage to the axis powers.

You can't forget the Chinese. They started fighting in 1937 and before Japan attacked America most Japanese soldiers were fighting in China. Even according to Japanese statistics, the Japanese suffered roughly two million casualties during their stay in China.

Exactly. Japan made a terrible move by attacking China. Not only did they commit mass atrocities that screwed up their current relationship with China, but they also wasted lots of money and troops that they could have diverted to fighting the Russians from the East.

Why would China not be the place for them to attack? Its their biggest threat. If they got China where they wanted it, Japan would have been set. They weren't doing to bad either throughout the war until after they stabbed the American bear. Its possible they could have prevailed had they not been so cocky and maintained a lower profile then the Nazis.
UtherPenguin
Posts: 4,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:06:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
In terms of longest effort: Great Britain, they were they major allied power that was in the war the longest, they also brought the commonwealth with them when joining the war leading to India, South Africa, Canada, Australia and New Zealand all joining the war at a similar time.

In terms of strongest or most effective effort: The USSR, this isn't even up for debate. Even if the USSR was the *only* country fighting against Nazi Germany they'd still likely win.
I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad (peace and blessing be upon him) is his messenger.
-GreyParrot
Skepsikyma
Posts: 9,381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 12:43:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2016 4:06:29 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
In terms of longest effort: Great Britain, they were they major allied power that was in the war the longest, they also brought the commonwealth with them when joining the war leading to India, South Africa, Canada, Australia and New Zealand all joining the war at a similar time.

In terms of strongest or most effective effort: The USSR, this isn't even up for debate. Even if the USSR was the *only* country fighting against Nazi Germany they'd still likely win.

You forgot France...
"I thought about the Paschal Candle. Wounded in its wax, wounded in its wick, wounded in its light, having the Passion of Christ in it and having therefore the woundedness of the world in it, it was there at our cradle, going before us and guiding us in time, and now again, there it is at our coffin, going before us and guiding us into eternity."
- John Moriarty -

Virtutem videant intabescantque relicta
UtherPenguin
Posts: 4,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 1:38:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 12:43:25 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/18/2016 4:06:29 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
In terms of longest effort: Great Britain, they were they major allied power that was in the war the longest, they also brought the commonwealth with them when joining the war leading to India, South Africa, Canada, Australia and New Zealand all joining the war at a similar time.

In terms of strongest or most effective effort: The USSR, this isn't even up for debate. Even if the USSR was the *only* country fighting against Nazi Germany they'd still likely win.

You forgot France...

France did put an effort, but they surrendered by 1940.
I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad (peace and blessing be upon him) is his messenger.
-GreyParrot
Skepsikyma
Posts: 9,381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:00:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 1:38:20 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 3/19/2016 12:43:25 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/18/2016 4:06:29 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
In terms of longest effort: Great Britain, they were they major allied power that was in the war the longest, they also brought the commonwealth with them when joining the war leading to India, South Africa, Canada, Australia and New Zealand all joining the war at a similar time.

In terms of strongest or most effective effort: The USSR, this isn't even up for debate. Even if the USSR was the *only* country fighting against Nazi Germany they'd still likely win.

You forgot France...

France did put an effort, but they surrendered by 1940.

Without France, WWII would have been lost. The void left by the excision of their country from the Earth's crust would have caused the cataclysmic destruction of Europe, as well as the devastation of most of the Earth's surface through destructive seismic activity.
"I thought about the Paschal Candle. Wounded in its wax, wounded in its wick, wounded in its light, having the Passion of Christ in it and having therefore the woundedness of the world in it, it was there at our cradle, going before us and guiding us in time, and now again, there it is at our coffin, going before us and guiding us into eternity."
- John Moriarty -

Virtutem videant intabescantque relicta
UtherPenguin
Posts: 4,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:05:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 2:00:14 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/19/2016 1:38:20 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 3/19/2016 12:43:25 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/18/2016 4:06:29 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
In terms of longest effort: Great Britain, they were they major allied power that was in the war the longest, they also brought the commonwealth with them when joining the war leading to India, South Africa, Canada, Australia and New Zealand all joining the war at a similar time.

In terms of strongest or most effective effort: The USSR, this isn't even up for debate. Even if the USSR was the *only* country fighting against Nazi Germany they'd still likely win.

You forgot France...

France did put an effort, but they surrendered by 1940.

Without France, WWII would have been lost. The void left by the excision of their country from the Earth's crust would have caused the cataclysmic destruction of Europe, as well as the devastation of most of the Earth's surface through destructive seismic activity.

http://i.kinja-img.com...
I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad (peace and blessing be upon him) is his messenger.
-GreyParrot
NothingSpecial99
Posts: 770
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 3:03:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/9/2016 8:26:26 PM, StarCraft wrote:
Thoughts?

The Germans: The Soviet Union
The Japanese: The Americans
Check your facts, not your privilege -- Christina Hoff Sommers

Trigger warning!! Trigger warning!! This is Ben Shapiro Thug Life. Trigger warning!! The Thug Life chose me. -- Ben Shapiro
UltramarineDebater
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 2:36:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is going to sound funny.

Hitler did. His attacking or Russia while Britain was still fighting was stupid, as was the thought that he would have to take out the RAF in order to take Britain .

Other from that, it is debatable
chui
Posts: 561
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 12:10:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2016 2:36:01 PM, UltramarineDebater wrote:
This is going to sound funny.

Hitler did. His attacking or Russia while Britain was still fighting was stupid, as was the thought that he would have to take out the RAF in order to take Britain .

Other from that, it is debatable

What many people here seem to forget is that Britain had a huge empire still in 1940 and had the World's biggest fleet. If Germany had tried to cross the English channel against the biggest fleet in the world without air superiority they would have been slaughtered. Germany's surface fleet never got out of harbour because of the presence of the British fleet and the RAF.

Hitler's decision to attack the USSR was not as bad as many think. Much of Stalin's army had no ammunition or training and Stalin had removed most of his capable military leaders. In the early part of 1941 the USSR nearly collapsed and needed supplies from USA via Britain to keep in the war. Germany's victories against other European powers were devastating at the time. The French alone outnumbered the Germans in 1940 but lasted only months. In 1941 German forces outnumbered soviet forces and had much better equipment and training and the Russians had to keep a watch over Japanese forces on their east coast so the chances of victory were good.
Let's hope "the truth is out there" cos there is bugger all round here.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2016 4:30:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The Russians did the most in terms of Europe, while the Americans (evidently) did the most in terms of the Pacific. The amount of arms and soldiers expended by the Soviets alone masses over the numbers expended by the other Allied power of Europe. If it wasn't for Russia pressing on the East, then the West would've been wrecked by Hitler's armies, because Frenchmen eating croissants and Englishmen having crap teeth doesn't win you a damn war :D.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.