Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Synoptic Gospel debate

SNP1
Posts: 2,446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 11:44:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am bust right now, but I am thinking of a debate I want to have in a week or two.
Resolution "The Synoptic Gospels were composed after 100 CE"
Synoptic Gospels: Mark, Matthew, and Luke from the New Testament.
Composed: Put together, written.
I am of the position of Pro.

Burden of Proof would be shared.
In order to win you have to show that all 3 came before or after 100 CE, I have to show that all 3 came after 100 CE.

Only proper historical methodology allowed. No theological methodology (this is a HISTORY debate, not a religious one).

I also want it to be a judge debate, so if you are interested in judging, post here as well.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Hayd
Posts: 4,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 3:04:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/10/2016 11:44:16 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I am bust right now, but I am thinking of a debate I want to have in a week or two.
Resolution "The Synoptic Gospels were composed after 100 CE"
Synoptic Gospels: Mark, Matthew, and Luke from the New Testament.
Composed: Put together, written.
I am of the position of Pro.

Burden of Proof would be shared.
In order to win you have to show that all 3 came before or after 100 CE, I have to show that all 3 came after 100 CE.

Only proper historical methodology allowed. No theological methodology (this is a HISTORY debate, not a religious one).

I also want it to be a judge debate, so if you are interested in judging, post here as well.

I'd be interested in judging. Sounds like a really interesting debate :)
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 9,590
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 3:24:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/10/2016 11:44:16 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I am bust right now, but I am thinking of a debate I want to have in a week or two.
Resolution "The Synoptic Gospels were composed after 100 CE"
Synoptic Gospels: Mark, Matthew, and Luke from the New Testament.
Composed: Put together, written.
I am of the position of Pro.

Burden of Proof would be shared.
In order to win you have to show that all 3 came before or after 100 CE, I have to show that all 3 came after 100 CE.

Only proper historical methodology allowed. No theological methodology (this is a HISTORY debate, not a religious one).

I also want it to be a judge debate, so if you are interested in judging, post here as well.

I would like to be a judge. This seems very interesting, although theological methodology and study should be valid to a certain degree; i.e, historians dated biblical writings, and it is thusly theological.
"If anyone wants to engage in casual anti-Semitism, then whatever." ~Max

Techno-Hyperkant arrives from the future. The Categorical Imperative ignites the eternal Nightmare of Ends. You are delighted to death.

Vaarka swung his sword at the mod. However, since I am now incorporeal, he ends up accidentally striking the entire American landmass (It's a REALLY bastard sword), destroying both continents. Spiders are now at 50% of capacity."
SNP1
Posts: 2,446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 4:56:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2016 3:24:04 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/10/2016 11:44:16 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I am bust right now, but I am thinking of a debate I want to have in a week or two.
Resolution "The Synoptic Gospels were composed after 100 CE"
Synoptic Gospels: Mark, Matthew, and Luke from the New Testament.
Composed: Put together, written.
I am of the position of Pro.

Burden of Proof would be shared.
In order to win you have to show that all 3 came before or after 100 CE, I have to show that all 3 came after 100 CE.

Only proper historical methodology allowed. No theological methodology (this is a HISTORY debate, not a religious one).

I also want it to be a judge debate, so if you are interested in judging, post here as well.

I would like to be a judge. This seems very interesting, although theological methodology and study should be valid to a certain degree; i.e, historians dated biblical writings, and it is thusly theological.

I disagree that that makes it theological.
I mainly said no theological methods due to previous debates I have had and read where the theist throws out the Principal of Uniformity of Nature in order to say that events could be prophesied instead of using proper Historical Methodology where when an event is mentioned, that helps indicate the earliest the document could probably have been written (and history deals in probabilities).

For example, let's say you found a fragment of a newspaper that you couldn't verify any other way. It mentions the 9/11 attacks. Would you say that someone could have prophesied it and the paper is from 1985? No, you would say it was written after the attacks. In all probability, it probably did come after the attack. And so, when dealing with the Synoptics, the same rule needs to apply.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Skepticalone
Posts: 7,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 7:23:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/10/2016 11:44:16 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I am bust right now, but I am thinking of a debate I want to have in a week or two.
Resolution "The Synoptic Gospels were composed after 100 CE"
Synoptic Gospels: Mark, Matthew, and Luke from the New Testament.
Composed: Put together, written.
I am of the position of Pro.

Burden of Proof would be shared.
In order to win you have to show that all 3 came before or after 100 CE, I have to show that all 3 came after 100 CE.

Only proper historical methodology allowed. No theological methodology (this is a HISTORY debate, not a religious one).

I also want it to be a judge debate, so if you are interested in judging, post here as well.

That's going to be an interesting one.
Science has taught us that, because we have a talent for deceiving ourselves, subjectivity may not freely reign. - Carl Sagan

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
SNP1
Posts: 2,446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 4:03:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2016 7:23:00 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/10/2016 11:44:16 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I am bust right now, but I am thinking of a debate I want to have in a week or two.
Resolution "The Synoptic Gospels were composed after 100 CE"
Synoptic Gospels: Mark, Matthew, and Luke from the New Testament.
Composed: Put together, written.
I am of the position of Pro.

Burden of Proof would be shared.
In order to win you have to show that all 3 came before or after 100 CE, I have to show that all 3 came after 100 CE.

Only proper historical methodology allowed. No theological methodology (this is a HISTORY debate, not a religious one).

I also want it to be a judge debate, so if you are interested in judging, post here as well.

That's going to be an interesting one.

Would you like to be a judge?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Skepticalone
Posts: 7,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 5:08:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2016 4:03:27 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 2/11/2016 7:23:00 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/10/2016 11:44:16 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I am bust right now, but I am thinking of a debate I want to have in a week or two.
Resolution "The Synoptic Gospels were composed after 100 CE"
Synoptic Gospels: Mark, Matthew, and Luke from the New Testament.
Composed: Put together, written.
I am of the position of Pro.

Burden of Proof would be shared.
In order to win you have to show that all 3 came before or after 100 CE, I have to show that all 3 came after 100 CE.

Only proper historical methodology allowed. No theological methodology (this is a HISTORY debate, not a religious one).

I also want it to be a judge debate, so if you are interested in judging, post here as well.

That's going to be an interesting one.

Would you like to be a judge?

Yes, of course!
Science has taught us that, because we have a talent for deceiving ourselves, subjectivity may not freely reign. - Carl Sagan

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
SNP1
Posts: 2,446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 5:42:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2016 5:08:55 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/11/2016 4:03:27 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 2/11/2016 7:23:00 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/10/2016 11:44:16 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I am bust right now, but I am thinking of a debate I want to have in a week or two.
Resolution "The Synoptic Gospels were composed after 100 CE"
Synoptic Gospels: Mark, Matthew, and Luke from the New Testament.
Composed: Put together, written.
I am of the position of Pro.

Burden of Proof would be shared.
In order to win you have to show that all 3 came before or after 100 CE, I have to show that all 3 came after 100 CE.

Only proper historical methodology allowed. No theological methodology (this is a HISTORY debate, not a religious one).

I also want it to be a judge debate, so if you are interested in judging, post here as well.

That's going to be an interesting one.

Would you like to be a judge?

Yes, of course!

3 judges down.

I like having 7 judges, but 5 can work, so 2-4 more to go
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Skepsikyma
Posts: 9,343
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 7:52:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2016 5:42:26 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 2/11/2016 5:08:55 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/11/2016 4:03:27 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 2/11/2016 7:23:00 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/10/2016 11:44:16 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I am bust right now, but I am thinking of a debate I want to have in a week or two.
Resolution "The Synoptic Gospels were composed after 100 CE"
Synoptic Gospels: Mark, Matthew, and Luke from the New Testament.
Composed: Put together, written.
I am of the position of Pro.

Burden of Proof would be shared.
In order to win you have to show that all 3 came before or after 100 CE, I have to show that all 3 came after 100 CE.

Only proper historical methodology allowed. No theological methodology (this is a HISTORY debate, not a religious one).

I also want it to be a judge debate, so if you are interested in judging, post here as well.

That's going to be an interesting one.

Would you like to be a judge?

Yes, of course!

3 judges down.

I like having 7 judges, but 5 can work, so 2-4 more to go

I'll judge. It's not really a topic that I'm well informed on or have any developed opinion about, but it is interesting to me.
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it."
- Lord Dunsany -

"The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? "
- W. B. Yeats -

Virtutem videant intabescantque relicta
Yassine
Posts: 2,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 8:11:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2016 4:56:37 AM, SNP1 wrote:

I disagree that that makes it theological.
I mainly said no theological methods due to previous debates I have had and read where the theist throws out the Principal of Uniformity of Nature in order to say that events could be prophesied instead of using proper Historical Methodology where when an event is mentioned, that helps indicate the earliest the document could probably have been written (and history deals in probabilities).

- I don't particularly disagree with this. Uniformity of Nature is an inductively certain principal, though not necessarily true. There is always the possibility that it is violated, but, a priori, it should indeed be taken as the basis for judgement, unless other equally certain alternatives are proposed.

For example, let's say you found a fragment of a newspaper that you couldn't verify any other way. It mentions the 9/11 attacks. Would you say that someone could have prophesied it and the paper is from 1985? No, you would say it was written after the attacks. In all probability, it probably did come after the attack. And so, when dealing with the Synoptics, the same rule needs to apply.

- I am surprised why this isn't a given as far as methodology of verifying scripture is concerned, regardless if the approach is historical or theological. I mean, theologians should be interested in knowing the validity of their scriptures instead of taking it at face value!
Current Debates:

Freedom Of Religion: Secular Law/Society Vs. Islamic Law/Society :
* http://www.debate.org...

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) Is Infallible :
* http://www.debate.org...
SNP1
Posts: 2,446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 12:53:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If I get a guaranteed opponent and a couple more judges, I should be able to do get this debate set up in a few days.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO