Jump to topic:

Synoptic Gospel debate

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 11:44:16 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I am bust right now, but I am thinking of a debate I want to have in a week or two.
Resolution "The Synoptic Gospels were composed after 100 CE"
Synoptic Gospels: Mark, Matthew, and Luke from the New Testament.
Composed: Put together, written.
I am of the position of Pro.

Burden of Proof would be shared.
In order to win you have to show that all 3 came before or after 100 CE, I have to show that all 3 came after 100 CE.

Only proper historical methodology allowed. No theological methodology (this is a HISTORY debate, not a religious one).

I also want it to be a judge debate, so if you are interested in judging, post here as well.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 3:04:55 AM
At 2/10/2016 11:44:16 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I am bust right now, but I am thinking of a debate I want to have in a week or two.

In order to win you have to show that all 3 came before or after 100 CE, I have to show that all 3 came after 100 CE.

Only proper historical methodology allowed. No theological methodology (this is a HISTORY debate, not a religious one).

I also want it to be a judge debate, so if you are interested in judging, post here as well.

I'd be interested in judging. Sounds like a really interesting debate :)
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 3:24:04 AM

I would like to be a judge. This seems very interesting, although theological methodology and study should be valid to a certain degree; i.e, historians dated biblical writings, and it is thusly theological.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 4:56:37 AM
At 2/11/2016 3:24:04 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

I would like to be a judge. This seems very interesting, although theological methodology and study should be valid to a certain degree; i.e, historians dated biblical writings, and it is thusly theological.

I disagree that that makes it theological.
I mainly said no theological methods due to previous debates I have had and read where the theist throws out the Principal of Uniformity of Nature in order to say that events could be prophesied instead of using proper Historical Methodology where when an event is mentioned, that helps indicate the earliest the document could probably have been written (and history deals in probabilities).

For example, let's say you found a fragment of a newspaper that you couldn't verify any other way. It mentions the 9/11 attacks. Would you say that someone could have prophesied it and the paper is from 1985? No, you would say it was written after the attacks. In all probability, it probably did come after the attack. And so, when dealing with the Synoptics, the same rule needs to apply.
#WarOnDDO
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 7:23:00 AM

That's going to be an interesting one.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 4:03:27 PM
At 2/11/2016 7:23:00 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Would you like to be a judge?
#WarOnDDO
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 5:08:55 PM
At 2/11/2016 4:03:27 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Yes, of course!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 5:42:26 PM
At 2/11/2016 5:08:55 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Yes, of course!

3 judges down.

I like having 7 judges, but 5 can work, so 2-4 more to go
#WarOnDDO
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 7:52:42 AM
At 2/11/2016 5:42:26 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 2/11/2016 5:08:55 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Yes, of course!

3 judges down.

I like having 7 judges, but 5 can work, so 2-4 more to go

I'll judge. It's not really a topic that I'm well informed on or have any developed opinion about, but it is interesting to me.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 8:11:29 AM
At 2/11/2016 4:56:37 AM, SNP1 wrote:

I disagree that that makes it theological.
I mainly said no theological methods due to previous debates I have had and read where the theist throws out the Principal of Uniformity of Nature in order to say that events could be prophesied instead of using proper Historical Methodology where when an event is mentioned, that helps indicate the earliest the document could probably have been written (and history deals in probabilities).

- I don't particularly disagree with this. Uniformity of Nature is an inductively certain principal, though not necessarily true. There is always the possibility that it is violated, but, a priori, it should indeed be taken as the basis for judgement, unless other equally certain alternatives are proposed.

For example, let's say you found a fragment of a newspaper that you couldn't verify any other way. It mentions the 9/11 attacks. Would you say that someone could have prophesied it and the paper is from 1985? No, you would say it was written after the attacks. In all probability, it probably did come after the attack. And so, when dealing with the Synoptics, the same rule needs to apply.

- I am surprised why this isn't a given as far as methodology of verifying scripture is concerned, regardless if the approach is historical or theological. I mean, theologians should be interested in knowing the validity of their scriptures instead of taking it at face value!
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 12:53:14 AM
If I get a guaranteed opponent and a couple more judges, I should be able to do get this debate set up in a few days.
#WarOnDDO