Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Would China be better off under the KMT?

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 3:10:18 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
For those uninformed, here is a brief history:

The Guomindang/Kuomintang (KMT) was a Chinese political party that rose to power in the Republic of China. A man named Mao Zedong opposed the KMT and was inspired by the Russian revolution, so he created the Chinese Communist Party against the KMT. Civil war eventually broke out, and eventually the KMT gained support from the US and the CCP gained support from the Soviets.

The CCP won the war and Mao Zedong rose to power. Mao Zedong declared the People's Republic of China and the old government, the Republic of China had fled to Taiwan. Mao had implemented communist ideals into China which were devastating to China's economy. Not only that, but Mao was also responsible for many massacres such as the "Great Leap Forward." Despite this though, Mao had helped to unify China more as a positive of his rule. After years of isolation during Maoist China, Mao eventually died and Deng Xiaoping rose to power. Deng Xiaoping reformed China to have a market economy, so he got rid of many Maoist policies and sparked China's GDP growth.

So if the KMT won the civil war and Mao Zedong never came to power, would China have been better off today?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 7:29:25 AM
At 2/13/2016 3:10:18 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

The Guomindang/Kuomintang (KMT) was a Chinese political party that rose to power in the Republic of China. A man named Mao Zedong opposed the KMT and was inspired by the Russian revolution, so he created the Chinese Communist Party against the KMT. Civil war eventually broke out, and eventually the KMT gained support from the US and the CCP gained support from the Soviets.

The CCP won the war and Mao Zedong rose to power. Mao Zedong declared the People's Republic of China and the old government, the Republic of China had fled to Taiwan. Mao had implemented communist ideals into China which were devastating to China's economy. Not only that, but Mao was also responsible for many massacres such as the "Great Leap Forward." Despite this though, Mao had helped to unify China more as a positive of his rule. After years of isolation during Maoist China, Mao eventually died and Deng Xiaoping rose to power. Deng Xiaoping reformed China to have a market economy, so he got rid of many Maoist policies and sparked China's GDP growth.

So if the KMT won the civil war and Mao Zedong never came to power, would China have been better off today?

I don't know, maybe. I mean, the Republic of China can be considered the remnants of what is left of the KMT and they have been doing remarkably well as one of the Four Asian Tigers. If they had China under their grasp after putting the CCP down, who knows what they could've accomplished or not?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 7:40:29 AM
At 2/13/2016 7:29:25 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

I don't know, maybe. I mean, the Republic of China can be considered the remnants of what is left of the KMT and they have been doing remarkably well as one of the Four Asian Tigers. If they had China under their grasp after putting the CCP down, who knows what they could've accomplished or not?

Taiwan is a small island and it's quite easier to govern a small island rather than a giant landmass of 1 billion people. Major cities in China are probably equal to Taiwanese cities, but there's several poor, predominately rural areas in China. If the Republic of China governed the mainland to this day, it probably wouldn't look like a mega-Taiwan.

Though I still think China would probably be better under a KMT victory since it wouldn't be prone to Mao's communism delaying 20 years of progress. There might have also been a possibility for US-aided modernization since the Republic of China and US were allies.

Regarding politics, i'm guessing the Republic of China governing the mainland would probably be some single party pseudo-democracy, or maybe the same way it holds elections as in the modern-day PRC.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 7:46:18 AM
At 2/13/2016 7:40:29 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Taiwan is a small island and it's quite easier to govern a small island rather than a giant landmass of 1 billion people. Major cities in China are probably equal to Taiwanese cities, but there's several poor, predominately rural areas in China. If the Republic of China governed the mainland to this day, it probably wouldn't look like a mega-Taiwan.

Though I still think China would probably be better under a KMT victory since it wouldn't be prone to Mao's communism delaying 20 years of progress. There might have also been a possibility for US-aided modernization since the Republic of China and US were allies.

Regarding politics, i'm guessing the Republic of China governing the mainland would probably be some single party pseudo-democracy, or maybe the same way it holds elections as in the modern-day PRC.

I was actually thinking if the KMT won the Chinese Civil War, at least early on, it would probably look something more like Nationalist China with a more autocratic unitary government. Kind of like something under Chiang Kai-shek.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 7:57:22 AM
At 2/13/2016 7:46:18 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 2/13/2016 7:40:29 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

I was actually thinking if the KMT won the Chinese Civil War, at least early on, it would probably look something more like Nationalist China with a more autocratic unitary government. Kind of like something under Chiang Kai-shek.

Due to western influence, I'd imagine it would be more like a pseudo-democratic form of government. I doubt it would be more autocratic than the People's Republic.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 8:16:26 AM
At 2/13/2016 7:57:22 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Due to western influence, I'd imagine it would be more like a pseudo-democratic form of government. I doubt it would be more autocratic than the People's Republic.

It wouldn't be "more" autocratic than Communist China, but Kai-shek did reject Western Democracy and him winning the Civil War would give him more power, possibly also inflating his Cult of Personality. He would have to become more autocratic to keep order, at least for the time being, and it worked pretty okay for Taiwan.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 9:46:32 AM

Yes i believe it would be. Mao zedongs communist economic policy created 20 years of economic stagnation. Under the kmt some development would have occurred. I would also assume that in time it would have become more democratic, especially considering it's alliance with the usa.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 4:26:04 PM
At 2/13/2016 8:16:26 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 2/13/2016 7:57:22 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

It wouldn't be "more" autocratic than Communist China, but Kai-shek did reject Western Democracy and him winning the Civil War would give him more power, possibly also inflating his Cult of Personality. He would have to become more autocratic to keep order, at least for the time being, and it worked pretty okay for Taiwan.

Well of course, since communist China was basically like North Korea, only more chaotic.
I'm aware that Kai-shek wasn't fond of western democracy, though other leaders might want to impliment a fake democracy due to western influence. The KMT was on good terms with the USA, and Japan and South Korea became democratic due to our influence. But China is pretty large and a lot of poor farmers have no idea about politics in any sense. So I'd imagine it would become a "fake democracy" somehow.