Jump to topic:

Cameron: Northern Ireland wanted to be in UK

Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 4:16:35 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
So I stumbled upon this clip from 2014 when the British Prime Minister David Cameron is on the Letterman Show talking about British history. He talks about Ireland once being British, and that the Irish liberated themselves, but Northern Ireland decided to remain in the United Kingdom.

In the comment section although, there are many several times upvoted comments calling David Cameron a historical revisionist and a liar for saying Northern Ireland wanted to remain in the UK, that it was the British who kept them inside UK. Some people in the comment section disagree with Cameron being a liar though, for example someone mentioned the Ulster Covenant 1912.

I'm not educated in British history, but I thought it could be funny to take the debate here, given it's a quite loaded topic. What is your opinion on this?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 2:29:05 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Northern Ireland did want to stay in the UK. Northern Ireland was primarily Protestant, while the rest of Ireland is largely Catholic. For years, Britain discriminated against the Catholics in Ireland, forbidding them from owning land or participating in politics, etc. When they decided on their partition with Northern Ireland, they divided it to take 6 of the counties of Ulster rather than all 9. This was a strategic move designed to ensure a Protestant majority (as taking all 9 would have resulted in Protestants losing that majority within a few generations).