True cause of the civil war

BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 3:59:56 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 3:54:07 AM, mc9 wrote:
What was the true cause of the American civil war?

Dred Scott decision, Missouri Compromise, Uncle Tom's Cabin, etc.
augcaesarustus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 12:16:36 PM

Slavery. Actual historians will back me up on this.
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 9:00:42 PM
At 2/20/2016 12:16:36 PM, augcaesarustus wrote:

True. It was the main cause.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 9:18:48 PM

-Best wishes, John Green
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 9:43:18 PM
Both real and perceived efforts by the North to abolish slavery.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
augcaesarustus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 1:13:38 AM
At 2/20/2016 9:18:48 PM, mc9 wrote:

-Best wishes, John Green

Haha, yes. Good old Crash Course.
jnedwards11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 12:26:43 PM

The same thing that's caused every war thats ever been faught since the dawn of humans......money/power!
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 2:42:34 AM

The South seceded because they thought the Republicans would ruin their way of life. Rightfully so too, the republicans hated the South as much as 1950s America hated Communism and really tried to f*ck them over during Reconstruction. The South seceded pretty much to preserve their way of living and Lincoln baited them into attacking Fort Sumter and the rest is history. The key is that the North was not fighting to end slavery. The North was fighting to preserve the Union.

I always wonder what would've happened if USA & CSA peacefully coexisted
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 11:25:43 PM

The event the immediately preceded Civil War was the election of 1860. Lincoln's promises and intentions led to nothing short of a) the abolition of slavery, and b) the proliferation of Republican ideals that clashed with views of most (if not all) southern states.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 1:55:37 AM
At 2/29/2016 11:25:43 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

The event the immediately preceded Civil War was the election of 1860. Lincoln's promises and intentions led to nothing short of a) the abolition of slavery, and b) the proliferation of Republican ideals that clashed with views of most (if not all) southern states.

The Republican ideals at the time were actually far superior to the Southern way of life, even if you exclude slavery. Southern states were still terrified of Lincoln taking away slavery even though he said it would be a states' rights issue at the beginning. Not to mention the CSA constitution had contained references to preserve slavery.

And regarding the political differences, the north was far superior economically. The south's economic rise was almost purely based on the main cash crop of cotton. The north on the other hand had a much more balanced economy with far more industrialization taking place. The south wasn't concerned about progressing forward, because they wanted to keep a simpler way of life. The south was being too stubborn in general; the north were definitely the "good guys" here.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 2:05:19 AM
At 2/29/2016 2:42:34 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:

I always wonder what would've happened if USA & CSA peacefully coexisted

The USA would probably be wealthier economically and more into modernization; the CSA would probably be more concerned about preserving their way of life. It's also possible (but not likely) that the CSA could also descend into a fascist state in order to preserve racial segregation at some point in time, similar with South Africa. Eventually though, the CSA would probably have minimized racial issues.

I'm also guessing a successful secession would weaken America and create a smaller sense of unity among Americans. Before the civil war, the USA was more fragmented in general. While this sounds a little crazy to say, i'm probably guessing the USA and CSA would both be isolationist countries (with the exception of trade among other countries), and issues between states would be higher with people seeing secession was *possible.* Western Europe would probably be the "world police."
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 6:52:51 AM

Slavery was the major cause of secession, along with representation disparities allowing the north to pass policies which economically benefited the North and injured the south. The war was fought in order to maintain that Northern power, and to deprive states of the threat of secession. It was also geopolitical, because England had economic interests which aligned with the south, and an alliance between the Confederacy and England would pose a significant threat to the north. So the North commenced hostilities not to end slavery, but in order to maintain the agreeable status quo which secession threatened.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 12:16:10 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Its because Captain America wants superheroes to defend humanity without government intervention, but Iron Man disagrees and supports the government oversight.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 7:46:36 PM
I always thought saying slavery was the cause and fuel of the civil war seemed a bit ridiculous, kind of like saying the Revolutionary war was literally fought over taxes on Tea. Sure, slavery was probably the big issue of the day but the war happened because of the South's succession from the United States and the Norths refusal to accept it, which happened because the powers of the southern states interests and way of life were being threatened by the major powers in the central government at the time. One of the largest or at least polarizing aspects to the southern way was slavery, and therefore slavery often gets the blame, but I'm sure that people weren't enlisting to keep their slaves. They were doing it for bigger reasons of which their ability to own slaves was a single contributing aspect. The same goes for the succession of the southern states themselves at the time.

From the Northern perspective, there are a variety of reasons to fight the civil war, ranging from your duty to the united states of America, to the possibility of ending/preventing ideals which you consider unacceptable, like slavery from becoming a permanent power.

Then there's also the economics to think about to entice promoters...I could go on forever. Nowadays slavery is THE thing we think about in the civil war, but if you were a southerner trying to make a living the way you always have for generations, and that gets threatened, it doesn't matter whether you were a slave owner or not. The upset happened from the central government of the United States of America favoring the North to such a large degree, that the south was no longer thoroughly represented.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 7:15:25 AM
At 3/15/2016 7:46:36 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

"....I'm sure that people weren't enlisting to keep their slaves. They were doing it for bigger reasons of which their ability to own slaves was a single contributing aspect."

The economic prosperity that ensued from having slaves instead of having to employ people, was the big reason that they enlisted. Poorer white southerners, who did not own slaves, probably also enlisted because they did not want to have to possibly compete with freed slaves.

http://www.civilwar.org...
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 3:43:01 PM
The true cause of the civil war was the stupidity of the south.
The fact is Lincoln only got about 40% of the vote. The rest of the votes were shared by Mr. Douglas , a northern democrat, and these 2 southerners who were a southern republican and a southern democrat.
Lincoln did not win a majority of the votes, but did get more than anyone else.
If the south gave all their votes to Mr. Douglas, Lincoln would have lost, and war would have been avoided.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 9:50:08 PM
At 3/15/2016 12:16:10 PM, XLAV wrote:
Its because Captain America wants superheroes to defend humanity without government intervention, but Iron Man disagrees and supports the government oversight.

Loll +1
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:19:08 PM
Slavery, plus nothing. There are some wanna be smart people who try to use mythical logic to try to prove that the war was caused by economic inequality. They say that because the north was industrial and the south was agricultural, they could not abide together. This is a stupid idea. Every successful nation on earth has an agricultural sector and an industrial sector, and a mining sector. Having different sectors is no reason to have a bloody war. Slavery is a good reason, and so is Abolition.
The leading cause of the Civil War was the election of Lincoln. Lincoln was the final blow. In fact, prior to his election, southerners had threatened to secede if Lincoln was elected. The reason? Lincoln was an abolitionist.
Let me save you some time. I am a Civil War geek. I've read stacks of books on the subject, and have watched a dozen documentaries. Slavery was the leading cause of the war, with other lesser problems adding fuel to the fire. Anyone telling you anything different is not being honest, or they're trying to pretend that they're smarter than everyone else.
Pie charts will usually show something like this. Reasons for the Civil War. Slavery-50%. Lincoln's election- 40%. Not enough representation for the south in Congress-5%. Other factors-5%.
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 2:24:37 AM
At 3/30/2016 11:19:08 PM, j50wells wrote:
Slavery, plus nothing. There are some wanna be smart people who try to use mythical logic to try to prove that the war was caused by economic inequality. They say that because the north was industrial and the south was agricultural, they could not abide together. This is a stupid idea. Every successful nation on earth has an agricultural sector and an industrial sector, and a mining sector. Having different sectors is no reason to have a bloody war. Slavery is a good reason, and so is Abolition.
I have never heard that argument.
The leading cause of the Civil War was the election of Lincoln. Lincoln was the final blow. In fact, prior to his election, southerners had threatened to secede if Lincoln was elected. The reason? Lincoln was an abolitionist.
Lincoln was not an abolitionist. His own party despised him. In his debates and speeches before the election, he strongly opposed abolition and equality. The Emancipation Proclamation was politically and strategically motivated, not morally motivated. The threat of having a government dominated by the republicans is what the South threatened secession over.
Let me save you some time. I am a Civil War geek. I've read stacks of books on the subject, and have watched a dozen documentaries. Slavery was the leading cause of the war, with other lesser problems adding fuel to the fire. Anyone telling you anything different is not being honest, or they're trying to pretend that they're smarter than everyone else.
Pie charts will usually show something like this. Reasons for the Civil War. Slavery-50%. Lincoln's election- 40%. Not enough representation for the south in Congress-5%. Other factors-5%.
I'd say it's 25% not enough representation, 75% being faced with the prospect of being forced to fundamentally change their entire society

I believe race relations in America would be inherently better compared to our current history if the South was allowed to end slavery on their own. In 1864, President Davis sent envoys to GB and France to negotiate a deal in which they would aid and begin trading with the South again and the South would systematically end slavery. People say that the south would've never ended slavery, but they definitely would've when they became faced with the problem of global boycotting of southern goods based on their system of slavery. I think slavery would've ended at the latest by 1880, and even better would have been done in a peaceful and willing fashion, where no intense resentment for both the north and blacks would be left over.

We've seen a similar situation to post civil war America in post war Middle East. We (North) come in to middle eastern nations (South) and try to force them to change their society through war, and what happens. Intense hatred for the US, and muslim extremist attacks (KKK) against the US and the West. History repeats itself
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 5:54:43 PM
At 3/15/2016 12:16:10 PM, XLAV wrote:

+1
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 10:29:26 PM
And now for something completely off topic, here are 4 Union states that had slaves throughout the Civil War: Missouri, Delaware, Maryland, and Kentucky
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Josie401
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 2:24:59 PM
Slavery with westward expansion.
Most of the North didn't actually want to abolish slavery, they wanted progressive abolitionism, they were just as racist as the south and didn't want an immigration of black people if slavery was aboltinished immediately. Without expansion, they would have been assured slavery would eventually die out due to fertility of the land. However, once able to expand, slavery could continue. Furthermore, if a state was slave or free it would change representation, which would effect if policies benefited industrial states or slave states.
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 4:42:04 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
The War was born from Slavery, but it was fought in the name of States Rights.

Basically, States Rights was not the cause of the war. It was the argument used to get people to die for the ruling class's slaves. It was the rhetoric the Landholders used to rally the poor to die for them.