Jump to topic:

Ostend Manifesto Alt History

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 11:18:58 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I am very interested in alternate history, so possibly to increase history forum activity it'd be interesting to add topics in regards to it and analysis, postulate, and discuss them. The Ostend Manifesto was a proposal by Pierre Soule who suggested that the United States demand Cuba from Spain, and if they were to refuse then the US would take Cuba by force. Upon victory, Cuba would become a slave state in order to appease the South. Of course, this idea was immensely detested by the Northern states and most of Europe. The Ostend Manifesto obviously did not pass (as for as I'm aware) and with the Teller Amendment the annexation of Cuba is long dead. However, if the Ostend Manifesto did pass, how do you think the world would change? Do you think the Civil War would have been postponed? Would Cuba be in a better place? Would the Cold War have been a lot less "hot"? Discuss. https://en.wikipedia.org...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 4:10:20 AM
At 2/23/2016 11:18:58 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
I am very interested in alternate history, so possibly to increase history forum activity it'd be interesting to add topics in regards to it and analysis, postulate, and discuss them. The Ostend Manifesto was a proposal by Pierre Soule who suggested that the United States demand Cuba from Spain, and if they were to refuse then the US would take Cuba by force. Upon victory, Cuba would become a slave state in order to appease the South. Of course, this idea was immensely detested by the Northern states and most of Europe. The Ostend Manifesto obviously did not pass (as for as I'm aware) and with the Teller Amendment the annexation of Cuba is long dead. However, if the Ostend Manifesto did pass, how do you think the world would change? Do you think the Civil War would have been postponed? Would Cuba be in a better place? Would the Cold War have been a lot less "hot"? Discuss. https://en.wikipedia.org...

I too am a fan of alternate history, and have made a couple attempts in the past to get something like this going, so it is nice to see you doing this as well.

I think that the Civil War would still have happened. The Manifesto would have been severely rejected by the North, and many citizens would have probably done something akin to a John Brown-level event, and that would have been a a provocateur of some sort for either side.

Cuba would not be some impoverished. It would probably be the equivalent of what Florida was in the early 1900s -- relatively good economy, being on the ocean -- and my guess is it would have stayed that way until slavery was abolished, if it would have ever been.

The Cuban missile crisis wouldn't have happened, that is for sure. I feel like the Cold War would still have been pretty much the same, just minus that specific conflict.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 4:26:44 AM
Of course, the amendment would have been widely opposed, and Mr. Lincoln certainly disagreed with it. He would probably have vetoed it. Once it returned to Congress, I think it would have been shot down with the excuse of "we tried once, South, and it didn't work, so we won't waste our time with it again."
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 3:54:39 AM
Bump.
Suh dude