someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 1:58:18 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Recommendations too
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 4:19:56 AM
"The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"
-Edward Gibbon

"Why the West rules...for now"
-Ian Morris

Used to love reading Horrible Histories as a kid.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 6:05:02 AM
At 3/25/2016 1:58:18 AM, someloser wrote:
Recommendations too

'The Formation of Christendom' and 'The Dividing of Christendom', by Christopher Dawson.

Anything by Herbert Butterfield.

Niccolo Machiavelli's Discourses on Livy

Ibn Khaldun's 'Muqaddimah'

'On War', by Carl von Clausewitz

'Muhammad at Mecca' and 'Muhammad at Medina', by W. Montgomery Watt
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2016 1:51:00 AM
At 3/25/2016 6:05:02 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Recommendations too

'The Formation of Christendom' and 'The Dividing of Christendom', by Christopher Dawson.

Pro or con Durant?
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2016 4:16:44 AM
At 3/26/2016 1:51:00 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 3/25/2016 6:05:02 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Recommendations too

Pro or con Durant?

I've read excerpts from The Story, but I haven't read enough to come to a conclusion either way. It's quite the investment...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 9:42:51 PM
bump
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
breakingamber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:00:49 AM
How they Croaked

Does that count as a history book?
MAY THE WRATH OF THE MODS BE UPON YOU!
- Master Elodin

"When will [Obliteration] learn that Funtimes' plan of saving/destroying the world with pancakes is the only way? "
"She wouldn't even have to make real pancakes! Just the batter, and Obliteration could cook it with his powers! OBLITERATION, YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TALENTS"
- Voidus and TwiLyghtSansSparkles

"An Epic stage magician and a zombie dinosaur? She sure as Braize won"t pull the line there!"
- Edgedancer
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 2:56:42 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Recommendations too

As a young lad of fourteen I stumbled on a copy of An Outline of History by HG Wells in my local library. I was fascinated by the book dipping into it and skimming the more difficult parts. Later it led me on to reading the Well's science fiction novels. It wasn't until much later I realised Wells had his own axe to grind.