Jump to topic:

DDO NOTA Campaign Heaquarters

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 4:36:19 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
As part of the History Forum revitalization efforts DDO NOTA is opening its campaign headquarters here in the History Forum. We are doing this for 2 reasons:

1) It will drive a massive amount of traffic through this forum adding to views of current topics and thus participation here.

2) This presidential election we are making history here on Debate.Org.

Our youtube campaign page: https://www.youtube.com...

Join with us this July and make history.

#DDONOTA
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 5:47:43 PM
At 5/3/2016 4:36:19 PM, Geogeer wrote:
As part of the History Forum revitalization efforts DDO NOTA is opening its campaign headquarters here in the History Forum. We are doing this for 2 reasons:

1) It will drive a massive amount of traffic through this forum adding to views of current topics and thus participation here.

2) This presidential election we are making history here on Debate.Org.

Our youtube campaign page: https://www.youtube.com...

Join with us this July and make history.

#DDONOTA
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 5:52:28 AM
I will not discuss this platform with any of the other Candidates in this thread. I believe it to be inappropriate and tacky. I have refrained from critiquing other platforms in their own threads and ask for the same respect in return. I am willing and open to a debate with any and all candidates on our relative platforms.

I will otherwise reply to questions posed.

Preamble

I'm old enough to be a father to a significant portion of the people reading this. And a desire to be DDO president is not a priority for me. However, I sense that the DDO presidency is at a junction. Being an engineer, one thing that I hate is bad design. The DDO presidency is now a bad design and the current plan to abolish the presidency is a bad and lazy design.

Before listing my platform, I'm presenting some of the reasoning behind it.

There are 2 aspects to consider, what is debate.org and what is the presidency?

Debate.org is a website that people come to as a leisure activity in order to debate, partake in intellectual discussions and to be active in an online social community.

The presidency is a titular position whose role is supposed be a liaison between the members and Juggle. In addition, it is a community based governance body that aids in community building.

The biggest problem is that Juggle has disengaged from the site with a resulting effect that the primary purpose of the presidency has ceased to exist. And while attempts to keep the presidency effective have been made, the office holds no real power and there is too much social angst intermingled with the positive social aspects.

It is my opinion that the presidency has become a net negative to the site and is too easily abused. Yet, I also know that it is easy to criticize and simply throw something away without offering a better alternative. If everything is merely thrown away once problems are found with it, you will end up with nothing in the end.

All of the pro presidential campaigns are really about what people are personally going to do to make the site better. The abolitionist platform on the other hand lazily discards it and replaces it only with voting conventions.

The problem is that both the pro-presidency and strict abolitionist platforms are the wrong solutions; what is needed is a third way.

I believe that a titular head to the site is useful, and that through creation the right conditions, participation and much of the governance site issues will resolve themselves. A laissez-faire DDO so to speak.

The Platform

My platform seeks to replace the presidency with something that provides:

Governance
Community Building
Participation
Usefulness
Creates conditions that will lead to increased debate and voting participation
Reduces bureaucracy on the site.
Merit based system
Fun

While there are many ways to present this concept I have intentionally chosen a fun name (maybe ridiculously so) to set it up under - the community can easily change this going forward if so desired.

Thus, I propose to abolish the DDO Presidency and replace it with a Monarchy! However, it is not a monarchy in the sense of ruling, but more as a titular head who serves the community, with very limited powers.

The duties of the Monarch are simple

1) To rule with the wisdom of Solomon. Debates that end in a tie can be appealed to the monarch for a victor to be declared. The Monarch must do so for a minimum of 4 such appeals made every month. The Monarch may choose which ones to judge, but must do so for every tournament debate put forth to him/her. If the Monarch has already voted in a debate that ends in a tie, his/her vote shall be considered the deciding factor.

- There is nobody that can or does perform this task currently. It won't show as an official result, but it will settle the issue for the debaters.

2) To be active in the community. The Monarch must partake in a minimum of 6 rounds of debating (not including acceptance or forfeited rounds) every month.

- The top debaters should be found debating on the site. The position of the Monarch is essentially a prestige position akin to the highest tournament position on the site. 2 good debates a month is not much to ask for.

The remainder of the Monarchy works on a tick tock system.

3) The tick is that every "even" month the monarch defends his/her crown from the most prominent challenger (warrior-king). All would be challengers put forth their claims to challenge, with the most prestigious challenger having the right to debate the monarch in a trial by arms for the crown.

- This system encourages active debating and voting as these are the only means of being able to challenge for the title of Monarch. See below for proposed formula.

4) The tock is that every "odd" month the monarch puts forth legislation to be voted on. The people put forward petitions on which laws to enact. The most popular of which must be put to a vote. The monarch may also choose one additional piece of legislation to put forward for a vote.

- This enable up to 12 governance changes to be made to the site every year - which should be plenty. It also allows for a slow change with a limited number of changes to be made at once. Thus each change can be thoroughly discussed and then evaluated prior to making the next change.

How to be dethroned:

If the Monarch fails to judge the debates (s)he is obligated to judge, or fails to participate in the number of debates (s)he is supposed to, then the Monarch is said to have abdicated the throne. The two most prominent challengers then debate to determine who will wear the crown.

The Monarch may choose not to contest the foremost challenger and thus cede the crown. If the Monarch accepts the challenge and is defeated, (s)he loses the crown.

The reigning Monarch must step down after 6 months.

Any Monarch who is dethroned, must wait 6 months prior to challenging for the throne again.

The people may vote to overthrow a monarch with a 60% vote. The two most prominent challengers then debate to determine who will wear the crown.

How to become the Monarch:

Be the top challenger and win the challenge debate against the reigning Monarch.

Why?

It is hokey? A little, but only if you view it in that manner. If one views it as the top tournament system, it becomes fun and useful addition to the site because, it serves a purpose and would add an element of friendly competition to the site. It would build community, reduce drama, reduce bureaucracy, enable measured direct governance of the site, and reward those who put in the most time to the site. Finally, it removes the current presidential popularity contest and becomes a fun aspect of the site to participate in.

Under this new system the office of Monarch can be adjusted as need be, but has no effective executive power except the ability to propose one governance item every voting period.

How does it get implemented?

Everybody else is running to be president, even imabench and his abolitionist campaign. By voting NOTA (None of the Above), the site will signal a revolution against the office of the President. The revolution would abolish the presidency and institute the DDO Monarchy. Being the head of the revolution, I would become the first DDO Monarch (or Absolute Debater, or whatever fun title the site would eventually settle on).
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 5:52:40 AM
Contender formula

So how do you become the top contender? Site participation. I have what I believe to be a fair formula that focuses on current activity while taking account previous site activity. Merit becomes your right to participate.

(Dr/6 + Vr/24) * (T)^0.33 * (Dt/10 + Vt/100 + Ft/1000)^0.25

Dr = Actual rounds of debate (acceptance and forfeit rounds not included) in the last 2 months.

Vr = Actual round of debates voted on (acceptance and forfeit rounds not included) in the last 2 months.

T = Time you've been on DDO in years

Dt = Total Debates

Vt = Total Votes

Ft = Total Forum Posts

So let's take a purely hypothetical condition where we have 3 people who want to become monarch.

imabench - 4 debate rounds and 12 rounds of votes in the last 2 months.
geogeer - 9 debate rounds and 6 rounds of votes in the last 2 months.
tejretics - 12 debates rounds and 20 rounds of votes in the last 2 months.

imabench - (4/6 + 12/24) * (4)^0.33 * (600/10 + 1352/100 + 19655/1000)^0.25 = 5.75
geogeer - (9/6 + 6/24) *(2)^0.33 * (30/10 + 312/100 + 3392/1000)^0.25 = 3.87
tejretics - (12/6 + 20/24) * (1)^0.33 * (114/10 + 643/100 + 4339/1000)^0.25 = 6.14

So under this hypothetical circumstance tejretics would win the right to challenge.

Miscellaneous Items

Not that it matters much for my campaign, but just so that the voter have an idea about me I'll list off a couple of personal opinions.

Voting Moderation

I believe that debates should be able to specify 3 levels of voting moderation.

None - Yee-haw cowboy
Moderate - Enough to weed out vote bomb. Voter must make minimal effort to explain why the vote went to either side
Full - The current vote moderation

Debates should be subject to moderate voting standards by default and only be subject to a different standard if listed in Round 1 of the debate by the instigator of the debate.

Getting Juggle to pay more attention to the site

- There is only one way to make Juggle care more about the site.
- That is for Juggle to make more money off of the site.
- The way that Juggle currently makes money off of the site is by advertising.
- The site can generate more money by people clicking on adds.
- We can strongly encourage people to click on adds by making add clicking mandatory in order to get other users to vote on their debates.
- Let Juggle know you are doing this in advance so that they know you control the flow of money.
- Make both debaters click on 1 add per round debated and paste the travelled links as proof in the commentaries.

I don't know if this is a path people want to travel, but it is the only way to get noticed by Juggle. If it generates enough money, Juggle may pour some resources back into the site.

Thank-you and the floor is open for questions.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 2:05:03 PM

1) To rule with the wisdom of Solomon. Debates that end in a tie can be appealed to the monarch for a victor to be declared. The Monarch must do so for a minimum of 4 such appeals made every month. The Monarch may choose which ones to judge, but must do so for every tournament debate put forth to him/her. If the Monarch has already voted in a debate that ends in a tie, his/her vote shall be considered the deciding factor.

- There is nobody that can or does perform this task currently. It won't show as an official result, but it will settle the issue for the debaters.

This has a lot of appeal. It eliminates the frustration of tie debates especially in tournaments. You might be getting appeals for many short, low quality or troll debates. Is there going to be a minimum criteria for a debate before an monarch vote appeal can be made, other than those in tournaments?

2) To be active in the community. The Monarch must partake in a minimum of 6 rounds of debating (not including acceptance or forfeited rounds) every month.

- The top debaters should be found debating on the site. The position of the Monarch is essentially a prestige position akin to the highest tournament position on the site. 2 good debates a month is not much to ask for.

Does every debate the Monarch participates in a challenge debate for the throne, or just a mandatory participation rule to be an active site member? Not to diminish the contributions made by the more vocal members and elites; this would certainly get a few who no longer debate or debate rarely back in the game for the ability to make changes as well as contribute in upping the quality of debates on the site which has been an issue.

3) The tick is that every "even" month the monarch defends his/her crown from the most prominent challenger (warrior-king). All would be challengers put forth their claims to challenge, with the most prestigious challenger having the right to debate the monarch in a trial by arms for the crown.

Will these challenges be made public? An announcement of contenders for the duel of sorts? How are these debates going to be voted, by select judges, elo minimum or open voting?

- This system encourages active debating and voting as these are the only means of being able to challenge for the title of Monarch. See below for proposed formula.

The voting aspect in being able to challenge is pivotal to create well rounded participation on the site. The ability for an individual to become Monarch is no longer a popularity contest but of the most adept and dedicated.

4) The tock is that every "odd" month the monarch puts forth legislation to be voted on. The people put forward petitions on which laws to enact. The most popular of which must be put to a vote. The monarch may also choose one additional piece of legislation to put forward for a vote.

How would the petition system work? As well as how would the membership be aware on what petitions are in cue? If everything was put out, there"d be an endless stream of controversy

- This enable up to 12 governance changes to be made to the site every year - which should be plenty. It also allows for a slow change with a limited number of changes to be made at once. Thus each change can be thoroughly discussed and then evaluated prior to making the next change.

How to be dethroned:

If the Monarch fails to judge the debates (s)he is obligated to judge, or fails to participate in the number of debates (s)he is supposed to, then the Monarch is said to have abdicated the throne. The two most prominent challengers then debate to determine who will wear the crown.

How is this to be determined "prominent challengers? Meeting the formula criteria below? If there is no major challenge made during a 2 month period by competent debaters, what is keeping the nobbs from challenging?

The Monarch may choose not to contest the foremost challenger and thus cede the crown. If the Monarch accepts the challenge and is defeated, (s)he loses the crown.

(in effect a term limit) Then how is a new Monarch chosen?

Any Monarch who is dethroned, must wait 6 months prior to challenging for the throne again.

The people may vote to overthrow a monarch with a 60% vote. The two most prominent challengers then debate to determine who will wear the crown.

Be the top challenger and win the challenge debate against the reigning Monarch.

Why?

It is hokey? A little, but only if you view it in that manner. If one views it as the top tournament system, it becomes fun and useful addition to the site because, it serves a purpose and would add an element of friendly competition to the site. It would build community, reduce drama, reduce bureaucracy, enable measured direct governance of the site, and reward those who put in the most time to the site. Finally, it removes the current presidential popularity contest and becomes a fun aspect of the site to participate in.

Under this new system the office of Monarch can be adjusted as need be, but has no effective executive power except the ability to propose one governance item every voting period.

Everybody else is running to be president, even imabench and his abolitionist campaign. By voting NOTA (None of the Above), the site will signal a revolution against the office of the President. The revolution would abolish the presidency and institute the DDO Monarchy. Being the head of the revolution, I would become the first DDO Monarch (or Absolute Debater, or whatever fun title the site would eventually settle on).
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 2:07:03 PM
At 5/10/2016 5:52:28 AM, Geogeer wrote:
I will not discuss this platform with any of the other Candidates in this thread. I believe it to be inappropriate and tacky. I have refrained from critiquing other platforms in their own threads and ask for the same respect in return. I am willing and open to a debate with any and all candidates on our relative platforms.

I will otherwise reply to questions posed.

Preamble

I'm old enough to be a father to a significant portion of the people reading this. And a desire to be DDO president is not a priority for me. However, I sense that the DDO presidency is at a junction. Being an engineer, one thing that I hate is bad design. The DDO presidency is now a bad design and the current plan to abolish the presidency is a bad and lazy design.

Before listing my platform, I'm presenting some of the reasoning behind it.

There are 2 aspects to consider, what is debate.org and what is the presidency?

Debate.org is a website that people come to as a leisure activity in order to debate, partake in intellectual discussions and to be active in an online social community.

The presidency is a titular position whose role is supposed be a liaison between the members and Juggle. In addition, it is a community based governance body that aids in community building.

The biggest problem is that Juggle has disengaged from the site with a resulting effect that the primary purpose of the presidency has ceased to exist. And while attempts to keep the presidency effective have been made, the office holds no real power and there is too much social angst intermingled with the positive social aspects.

It is my opinion that the presidency has become a net negative to the site and is too easily abused. Yet, I also know that it is easy to criticize and simply throw something away without offering a better alternative. If everything is merely thrown away once problems are found with it, you will end up with nothing in the end.

All of the pro presidential campaigns are really about what people are personally going to do to make the site better. The abolitionist platform on the other hand lazily discards it and replaces it only with voting conventions.

The problem is that both the pro-presidency and strict abolitionist platforms are the wrong solutions; what is needed is a third way.

I believe that a titular head to the site is useful, and that through creation the right conditions, participation and much of the governance site issues will resolve themselves. A laissez-faire DDO so to speak.

The Platform

My platform seeks to replace the presidency with something that provides:

Governance
Community Building
Participation
Usefulness
Creates conditions that will lead to increased debate and voting participation
Reduces bureaucracy on the site.
Merit based system
Fun

While there are many ways to present this concept I have intentionally chosen a fun name (maybe ridiculously so) to set it up under - the community can easily change this going forward if so desired.

Thus, I propose to abolish the DDO Presidency and replace it with a Monarchy! However, it is not a monarchy in the sense of ruling, but more as a titular head who serves the community, with very limited powers.

How to be dethroned:

Why?

You could be ousted as Monarch within two months if challenged, if I understand this correctly.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 3:52:20 PM
At 5/10/2016 2:05:03 PM, Peepette wrote:
At 5/10/2016 5:50:46 AM, Geogeer wrote:

This has a lot of appeal. It eliminates the frustration of tie debates especially in tournaments. You might be getting appeals for many short, low quality or troll debates. Is there going to be a minimum criteria for a debate before an monarch vote appeal can be made, other than those in tournaments?

Any debate that has or is going to shortly end in a tie can be appealed for judging. However, there are a multitude of such debates. As such the duty is to vote on every tournament debate that is so appealed and to choose from other debates that are so appealed, with a minimum of 4 completed per month. One person cannot judge every debate, but it would be a means for good debates that slipped through the cracks to at least get some finality and to resolve tournament debates that end in a draw.

Does every debate the Monarch participates in a challenge debate for the throne, or just a mandatory participation rule to be an active site member? Not to diminish the contributions made by the more vocal members and elites; this would certainly get a few who no longer debate or debate rarely back in the game for the ability to make changes as well as contribute in upping the quality of debates on the site which has been an issue.

Only the debate that forms the official challenge at the beginning of even months can cause a change in the Monarchy. The purpose of this is that the person who holds the top debating position on the site has to be out there debating and actively participating in the life of the site.

If you want the fun of being Monarch (or whatever title is ultimately chosen) you have to participate.

Will these challenges be made public? An announcement of contenders for the duel of sorts? How are these debates going to be voted, by select judges, elo minimum or open voting?

That is to be agreed upon by the participants. Personally I would be in favour of open voting by the entire community. The entire program is meant to be a community building exercise, and thus it is important that the whole community be able to partake in it.

If the community feels excluded they can vote to overthrow. It is a self correcting system.

The voting aspect in being able to challenge is pivotal to create well rounded participation on the site. The ability for an individual to become Monarch is no longer a popularity contest but of the most adept and dedicated.

Debate.org

How would the petition system work? As well as how would the membership be aware on what petitions are in cue? If everything was put out, there"d be an endless stream of controversy.

About a week prior to the beginning of the month, a thread would be started wherein people list the item they believe needs the most attention with a small description of what they want implemented (most active people on the site will have already discussed these issues at length and be prepared when the time comes).

Example

Voting Moderation Reform

Implement Geogeer's proposed 3-tier voting reform - because the current one disincentivises participation by new voters.

One goes through the list chooses the one with the highest number of petitions, makes sure that people are happy with the wording (to the extent possible) as there could be many permutations to the same question. That question is put to a vote. If there is another idea that needs to be addressed the Monarch can choose to bring that to a vote as well.

How to be dethroned:

How is this to be determined "prominent challengers? Meeting the formula criteria below? If there is no major challenge made during a 2 month period by competent debaters, what is keeping the nobbs from challenging?

I have given seasoned debaters a significant advantage over noobs. Noobs are members too, if the seasoned debaters cannot be bothered to put in the effort, then the spoils will go to those who do put in the effort.

The community may easily choose to amend the challenge criteria, if they find it does not work.

(in effect a term limit) Then how is a new Monarch chosen?

The top 2 contenders debate for the throne.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 3:58:38 PM
At 5/10/2016 2:07:03 PM, Peepette wrote:
At 5/10/2016 5:52:28 AM, Geogeer wrote:

You could be ousted as Monarch within two months if challenged, if I understand this correctly.

Yup. No cushy seat on this throne; this is a debating website.