Jump to topic:

England history

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 2:37:48 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
I'm writing a paper on England for history. It's supposed to be 12 pages, and there are certain centuries I have to study. I've caught up to the 16th century. Does anyone have anything for England from the 17th century on that I should definitely use in my paper?

And no, England and Great Britain are not the same. England is just a part of Great Britain.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 3:33:05 AM
At 5/12/2016 2:37:48 AM, Vaarka wrote:
I'm writing a paper on England for history. It's supposed to be 12 pages, and there are certain centuries I have to study. I've caught up to the 16th century. Does anyone have anything for England from the 17th century on that I should definitely use in my paper?

And no, England and Great Britain are not the same. England is just a part of Great Britain.

The Great Plague (not the Black Death, of course), the Great Fire, the Glorious Revolution, and the Bill of Rights first come to mind. I'm not sure about other events that have happened before since I have little interest in European history, but those are rather well-known (to me, anyway).
Have no regrets.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 3:37:09 AM
The 1600s were perhaps one of the most important centuries of English History. This was the main transitional period from a monarchy to a secular/Protestant constitutional-ish democracy based off of central law. It was a time of great ideological, philosophical, religious, and political revolution.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 11:02:54 AM
At 5/12/2016 3:37:09 AM, Sam7411 wrote:
The 1600s were perhaps one of the most important centuries of English History. This was the main transitional period from a monarchy to a secular/Protestant constitutional-ish democracy based off of central law. It was a time of great ideological, philosophical, religious, and political revolution.

Thanks
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 10:00:17 PM

The Glorious Revolution is particularly interesting because of the huge influx of Dutch cultural influence. Gin and scones, for example, both seen as quintessentially English, were actually introduced during this period from the Netherlands. Cromwell was also incredibly important, and a very interesting character. This was also when Quakerism began to arise as a movement, and George Fox was fascinating as a religious figure. Overall, an incredibly interesting century.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 10:16:05 PM
At 5/12/2016 10:00:17 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

The Glorious Revolution is particularly interesting because of the huge influx of Dutch cultural influence. Gin and scones, for example, both seen as quintessentially English, were actually introduced during this period from the Netherlands. Cromwell was also incredibly important, and a very interesting character. This was also when Quakerism began to arise as a movement, and George Fox was fascinating as a religious figure. Overall, an incredibly interesting century.

Thanks

chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 3:02:34 PM
At 5/12/2016 10:16:05 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Thanks

You might want to mention the civil war as well. Maybe Newton publishing the principia is fairly important.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 3:03:07 PM
At 5/13/2016 3:02:34 PM, chui wrote:

Thanks

You might want to mention the civil war as well. Maybe Newton publishing the principia is fairly important.

Which civil war?

srehtiw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 10:13:51 AM
At 5/13/2016 3:03:07 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Thanks

Which civil war?

There is only one which is actually referred to as the English civil war. It was between the Parliamentarians or Roundheads: who supported Parliament over the King, and the Royalists, or Cavaliers : who supported the King over Parliament.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 3:07:34 PM
At 5/15/2016 10:13:51 AM, srehtiw wrote:
At 5/13/2016 3:03:07 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Thanks

Which civil war?

There is only one which is actually referred to as the English civil war. It was between the Parliamentarians or Roundheads: who supported Parliament over the King, and the Royalists, or Cavaliers : who supported the King over Parliament.

I made sure to mention it. Thanks!

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 6:19:59 PM

As you know, I'm live in England so I know quite a lot regarding English history. If I were writing an essay on the 17th Century England I'd probably include all of these events (though you probably won't be expected to write about all of this stuff).

- The Civil War (1642)
- The Great Fire of London (1666)
- Death of Elizabeth I (1603)
- James I of England is crowned (1603)
- The Plague (1603)
- The Bishops War (1639)
- The Glorious Revolution (1688)
- The Bill of Rights and Claim of right act (1689)
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 12:09:05 PM
At 5/17/2016 6:19:59 PM, famousdebater wrote:

As you know, I'm live in England so I know quite a lot regarding English history. If I were writing an essay on the 17th Century England I'd probably include all of these events (though you probably won't be expected to write about all of this stuff).

- The Civil War (1642)
- The Plague (1603)
- The Bishops War (1639)

A little late, as I've already turned it in, but thanks ^.^

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 3:34:42 PM
At 5/18/2016 12:09:05 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:19:59 PM, famousdebater wrote:

- The Civil War (1642)
- The Plague (1603)
- The Bishops War (1639)

A little late, as I've already turned it in, but thanks ^.^

Sorry I couldn't help you out earlier. If you ever want any help or clarification on English history or anything regarding England in general just post a comment on my profile and I'll see what I can do. :)
John Galsworthy
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 4:00:33 PM
Oh btw, I got a 100 on the essay :D

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:53:12 PM
At 5/20/2016 4:00:33 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I take it that this is a good result (in the UK the marking system is very different so I have no idea if that's good or bad).
John Galsworthy
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:54:18 PM
At 5/20/2016 5:53:12 PM, famousdebater wrote:

I take it that this is a good result (in the UK the marking system is very different so I have no idea if that's good or bad).

Well it was 100/100, so basically a perfect score, a triple A, an SS, can't score higher, etc.

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:54:50 PM
At 5/20/2016 5:54:18 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Well it was 100/100, so basically a perfect score, a triple A, an SS, can't score higher, etc.

Nice! Good job.
John Galsworthy
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:57:47 PM
At 5/20/2016 5:54:50 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Nice! Good job.

Thanks, though I wish I could say I got similar grades in Chemistry XP

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:59:29 PM
At 5/20/2016 5:57:47 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Nice! Good job.

I always found Biology harder than Chemistry.
John Galsworthy
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 6:01:22 PM
At 5/20/2016 5:59:29 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Nice! Good job.

Nah, biology is mainly just learning labels, parts, and going in-depth with organisms and what they're made of. Chemistry involves a lot of balancing equations and other math...

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 6:04:00 PM
At 5/20/2016 6:01:22 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Nice! Good job.

Nah, biology is mainly just learning labels, parts, and going in-depth with organisms and what they're made of. Chemistry involves a lot of balancing equations and other math...

I'm pretty good at math, but in the UK the biology curriculum has changed massively recently so now they've tried to put more maths into it (I think you saw my revision thread). We now need to memorize conversion between picometers, nanometers, micrometers, millimeters, etc - and that's just for microbiology. There are loads of other units of measurement and conversion that we have to know for biology now.
John Galsworthy
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 6:05:03 PM
At 5/20/2016 6:04:00 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Nice! Good job.

I'm pretty good at math, but in the UK the biology curriculum has changed massively recently so now they've tried to put more maths into it (I think you saw my revision thread). We now need to memorize conversion between picometers, nanometers, micrometers, millimeters, etc - and that's just for microbiology. There are loads of other units of measurement and conversion that we have to know for biology now.

Most of those measurements sound like stuff I'd use in chemistry last semester.

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 6:06:12 PM
At 5/20/2016 6:05:03 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 5/20/2016 6:04:00 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Nice! Good job.

Most of those measurements sound like stuff I'd use in chemistry last semester.

Yeah, some of those units of measurements do intertwine with chemistry too - though they're primarily used in biology since they're more relevant.
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 6:07:49 PM

I was planning on doing a thread distinguishing England, Great Britain, the United Kingdom and the British Isles. All 4 of those are different but are almost always used interchangeably as if they are the same thing (especially Great Britain and United Kingdom).
John Galsworthy