Jump to topic:

If you were Hitler...

A1tre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 8:35:25 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
You wake up the next morning in the body of Hitler in May 1941. You control vast lands of Europe including France. You are at war with Britain, still have a nonaggression pact with the Soviet Union and are allied to Japan who is at war with China.

How do you gain world dominance?

Try to keep your assumptions as realistic as possible, for example "bomb everyone with intercontinental balistic missils equiped with nukes" is not a viable option.
ziffphlebs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 10:05:56 PM
I can't imagine this is brilliantly original, but first of all, no invasion of Russia. Shut down Malta and play the Mediterranean card for all it's worth, i.e. conquer Egypt and storm on into the Middle East and grab all the oil I can. If, somewhere along the way, Franco came to his senses and wholeheartedly joined the effort, go for Gibraltar. Meanwhile, do NOT interfere with jet fighter development but do encourage research on upgrade of radar and better U-boats (and more of them).
Btw, I'd also drop the whole silly business of constantly using valuable resources to round up Jewish civilians, then foul up transportation resources that could be better utilized shipping them to holding areas, all at great expense, for no good reason for a result that would only condemn me in the eyes of history forever. In other words, if I were Hitler, I wouldn't really be Hitler.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 10:56:03 AM
At 5/25/2016 8:35:25 PM, A1tre wrote:
You wake up the next morning in the body of Hitler in May 1941. You control vast lands of Europe including France. You are at war with Britain, still have a nonaggression pact with the Soviet Union and are allied to Japan who is at war with China.

Try to keep your assumptions as realistic as possible, for example "bomb everyone with intercontinental balistic missils equiped with nukes" is not a viable option.

I'd nuat listen to my advisors. They seemed to be doing good in spite of him, id his lousy strategies did not hold them back, Hitler could have won.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 11:47:09 PM

I would never invade the USSR and I would try to get nuclear missiles as fast as possible. I would make some sort of deal with Middle Eastern nations to buy oil from them, as well as buying wood and metals from the USSR. I would then proceed to hammer the rest of France, as well as bringing Franco over to my side. I would then destroy Britain and thus invade Northern Africa and conquer those dominions.

After the war in Europe has ended, I will declare war on the USSR and use my newly acquired bombs to destroy their industrial and population centers while occupying its territory and expanding as far east as possible. I would then invade Alaska from Siberia and conquer Canada with it before marching into D.C. and taking the United States over.

The rest of the world should be easy to conquer with Japan, Spain, and Italy at my side while the major world powers have been defeated.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 2:34:58 PM

I'd never start bombing British cities and keep hitting their airfields and military targets. After the RAF is taken down I'd invade mainland Britain which should be an easy win now that I control the skies.

After destroying Britain's military strength the Allies would essentially be finished. I'd move into Iceland and then Greenland, from there I'd attack Canada and then the USA. After that the Allies would be gone for good and I could get the USSR from both sides.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 7:06:45 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I'd never start bombing British cities and keep hitting their airfields and military targets. After the RAF is taken down I'd invade mainland Britain which should be an easy win now that I control the skies.

An invasion of Britain probably woundn't have worked even if the RAF had been defeated. Don't take my word for it - that was the opinion of the German Navy, Army and airforce!
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...

The threat of invasion was probably intended to force the British to sue for peace. Essentially, it was a bluff that got called. Although there was some apparent preparation for such an invasion it was nothing like on the scale required for a successful invasion such as D-Day. Invasion from the sea is not easy and can easily be turned sour by a sudden sqall or seemingly minor hitches - remember Omaha beach?
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 1:26:18 AM

Not following Napoleon's strategy to invade Russia.
MDK4304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 7:09:27 PM
I'll probably go attack other European countries first, since the Soviet Union was really strong during the Second World War. I know that it would be chaos if Hitler would do that, but he wanted world dominance.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 9:31:38 PM
At 6/16/2016 7:09:27 PM, MDK4304 wrote:
I'll probably go attack other European countries first, since the Soviet Union was really strong during the Second World War. I know that it would be chaos if Hitler would do that, but he wanted world dominance.

Yeah, attacking the USSR wasn't a good idea. That's what lost him the war.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 10:59:39 PM

-Don't touch Russia with a fifty foot poll

-Tell Japan that whatever they do, don't mess with the US

-Probably annex Italy for the sh1ts and giggles.

-Cut off supplies from British colonies to the UK

-Secretly fund independence of British colonies.

-Consolidate power

-Invade Britain from two sides (bay of France and from Norwegian sea)

-Stop the Holocaust

-Make Islam the state religion

- Reincorporate Jews and other persecuted groups back into society.

-Force peace treaty with Allied Powers

-Invade Russia for the sh1ts and giggles.
"Change your sig."
~YYW
ofmega
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 2:06:56 AM
By this time Hitler had become addicted to amphetamines. He had been using a high dose for a long time, and he had become a speed freak. I would have to figure out a way to stop taking speed. In the question , I have a brain that is addicted to amphetamines, I will be having dumb ideas that I will perceive are good ideas.
ofmega
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 2:10:36 AM
I think I would send the army to conquer Antarctica, and thus make Germany the worlds largest country.
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 6:05:59 PM
I'm Hitler and I'm smoking a cigar on my patio up in the Alps. My hot, model girlfriend is still in bed, but I enjoy the solitude of the mountains and that fresh cup of hot coffee that the maid just sat on my table. Goering is coming for a visit. I think I will tell him to end the transportation of the Jews to the death camps. In fact, I think I'll tell him to release all of the Jews.
Then Himler is coming over for a drink and a game of cards. He must not invade Russia. He must stand down. We must break ties with Mussolini. We must treat France with fairness. We'll pull out but only after we have their agreement to pay us taxes.
We will immediately pay reparations to the United States for sinking their ships. They will think we are playing nice. They will trust us, but they will be dumb if they do, for we will become the mightiest empire in world history by the year 1961, while I am still alive, and I will get the credit.
We will form the Third Reich, but we will not call it by that name. Instead, we will call it the European Union, with its capital in Brussels, Germany. I will be its head and leader. The EU will be similar to the United States but it will be ran by me.
As time goes by we will become the richest, most powerful empire ever. Because we will practice free market Democracy, there will be no reason for EU members to leave the union.
Reigon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 12:31:19 AM
Posted: 4 months ago

I would not open two fronts by invading Russia, but if I did I wouldn't push all the way to Moscow especially during the Russian Winter as shown in History. I'd hold the line in fortified positions that can be easily supplied.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 3:50:35 AM
If I was Hitler I would have killed Muslims and feminists instead of Jews.

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 4:49:10 AM

I would summon all of my top officials (especially Heinrich Himmler) to a single meeting place and then have them all murdered.
I would then immediately end the war and withdraw all troops from territories outside of Germany. I would have Germany surrender conditionally to the Western powers, in exchange for their promises that they won't punish Germany harshly or impose anything resembling the Treaty of Versailles. Then I would commit suicide.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
DeuceKaboose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 9:23:35 PM
The general consensus in the thread seems to be that the ideal tactic was to hammer out France, not invade the USSR and use the Middle East for Oil.

The only issue I see with this is that the whole reason Hitler commenced Operation Barbarossa when he did was because the Soviet Military was in shambles following Stalinist purges and the Winter War, had Hitler waited a few more years, the USSR would have probably dramatically increased the size and professionalism of their military.

It should also be noted that the population of Nazi Germany at its peak was 90.3 million, this is most likely insufficient manpower to be able to create a worldwide empire, due to the amount of overextension that would be involved. The Third Reich would have lots of difficulties tapping into manpower resources in conquered lands, as the majority of the populations in those areas despised them, and the German economy relied on pillaging and conquering, and if it stopped for a significant period of time than it would have most likely collapsed.
JohnF.Kennedy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 2:54:53 PM
Do everything he did with some minor changes and decisions I can't list right now and hope for the best that my female population doesn't get raped by every single soviet soldier while they steamroll me.
Invasion of USSR or not, Stalin wanted a weak europe and he got it.
I actually do not care at all about any refugees, I have said time and time again that Europes external borders should be maintained by autonomous 30mm grenade launchers firing air burst rounds.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 9:58:28 PM
Posted: 2 months ago

If I were Hitler seeking world dominance, I'd wage the war to reduce the old world to nothing but a pile of rubble, fake my death and then move to the Americas with all the loot and brains to build an unmatched new world power. Who can stop me when everyone else is too busy being broke and bandaged. Muaaah!
YouGotsToBe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 2:15:59 PM
Waking up in the body of Hitler,

Forget the USSR, Recruit all the peasants in Eastern Europe, they don't like jews, they don't like Russians. I'd go for the Middle-East and take all valuable resources, head on over to Africa and controll the North and Center, the rest seems useless to me really. Italy can go ** itself, we take that too and we take the vatican with all its precious gold.
Move west to England shut downt he navy shut down the RAF, theyve become useless. I give them a couple of days to surrender out of themselves before I bomb the *** out of them till they do it anyways, if they're that stubborn fine invade the mainland.
Should have almost all of Europe by now? Nordics can wait, Iceland>Greenland>Canada>USA Now I'm a superfreak. Propogate the *** out of these northern countries to fight Norwegia and finland now you're mine.
USSR is next and with the fresh recruits from strategic similar countries we can easily win, just bomb everything, factories, houses, anyone anywhere anytime. Give a nice medal to Himmler and Rommel, good job wel done. Owyea on the jews, *** the rich spare the poor. Same goes for all monarchs they get beheaded.
Haz a parteh mit mein fellow komraden von di Nazi Partie jawolh. Die of drug overdose watch my partie dissolve from the heavens all the nations rise up against my reich. GG. Himmler and Goering went to search for mythical lands on my costs and started the 4th reich from there. They will invent some cloning device to bring a look a like back and start this funny game again in 2050 when I come back in a flying saucer with weapons the world has never seen before. ILL BE BACK
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 1:18:30 AM
I thought half the population was Hitler? Simply having a differing view point on a social issue makes you Hitler.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 6:38:05 AM
At 6/5/2016 2:34:58 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:

After destroying Britain's military strength the Allies would essentially be finished. I'd move into Iceland and then Greenland, from there I'd attack Canada and then the USA. After that the Allies would be gone for good and I could get the USSR from both sides.

Even without air superiority the Royal Navy would have turned any invasion fleet into scrap metal.
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 9:36:35 AM
At 6/5/2016 2:34:58 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:

The Germans never switched strategy to bombing cities only, the majority of attacks were still aimed at airfields and plane production right through the battle of Britain. The bombing of cities happened because that was where the factories were mostly. This was planned from the beginning. What made a significant difference for the RAF was when non-English speaking overseas pilots were used mostly Czech and Polish. These pilots had been held back because it was thought that the communication problem would be insurmountable. In reality they formed some of the best squadrons.

Invading Britain would not work in all probability. The Royal Navy in 1940 was by far the biggest navy in the world and we had the wealth of an empire to support us. The British army had lost significant amounts of heavy weaponry in the retreat from Dunkirk but this was being replaced rapidly and the troops had experience of fighting the Germans effectively unlike the collapsed French army they fought alongside.

The British expeditionary force sent to France was a fraction of our military strength but was larger than the entire US army at the time.

I feel many contemporary commentators see how militarily weak the UK is now an assume it was the same in WWII. In reality the British empire was still a super power in 1940 and had a wealth of military experience from all over the world.
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 9:26:44 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Firstly, there would be no ovens. I would utilize the resources that I had to separate the Jewish Bolshevick's from the Judaic Jews. The Judaic Jews would be allowed to move about freely, but the Bolshevick's would find a grim future.
I would have never attacked France. What's the point? They didn't want a fight. After ww1 they just wanted to be left alone,
I never would have butchered Poland. Through diplomacy I would have formed a confederation. The Poles would have embraced Germany as a way to defeat Communism that was infiltrating their cities.
There was no reason to attack England. They wanted to stay out of it. Churchill hated the Jews and the Russians who embraced socialism. He didn't have a problem with Germany absorbing Austria and other eastern Europe territories because he saw the dangers of Communism. In Churchill's eyes, Germany could be seen as a buffer state to Soviet aggression.
I would have never underestimated the strength of the USA. Who would have thought? A rogue nation thousands of miles away could supply so much food, ammo, tanks, men, and a spark of warrior mentality to all people's who had not been defeated by Germany yet. Hitler, at that time, had no idea that England and the USA would be the iron defenses against his plans.
I would have listened to my military advisors because I would have realized that I knew very little about military battles.
amazingscholar888
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 4:01:33 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 6/4/2016 10:57:28 AM, Wylted wrote:
Oh, I also would not have been so nice to the Jews. He took it easy on them

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU, YOU SICK PERSON
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 2:36:04 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
I would realize that they were successful in Poland, Belgium and France these victories happened while the whole German army was fighting one country at a time.
When this army was spread out from Norway to North Africa and they had an eastern front that was that large, this army was spread too thin, so I could not expect them to be unbeatable, at they were in the beginning of the war.
fishhunter61
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 9:15:34 PM
Posted: 5 days ago

How I really would do it:
First I would actually listen to my Generals/Field Marshals. I would then Invade the Middle East through Africa, to ensure a steady amount of oil for Germany. I would then invest in long range bombing planes, and hold off the Russian invasion. Next I would put 100% of my efforts into Operation Sea lion (Axis invasion of Britain). Germany should take Britain when focusing all troops on it. I would then hunker down, work on nuclear missile production, make Germany a industrial powerhouse.(Along with Italy and other smaller axis tilted country's). I would then urge Japan not to piss america off just yet, and assist them in taking china. Then with Germany, Romania, Bulgaria, and with Aerial Support from Japan take Russia (only using nuclear missiles when necessary). Supply Japan with nuclear missiles and fight a two front war against America and Canada with Japan, Germany, Italy, Romania, Etc. I would then take over any threatening neutral or smaller allied countries.

The rest of this is mostly a joke.
I would then take over every other country except Switzerland. Switzerland would then take me over and the United Countries of Switzerland would be a thing.