Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Thomas Jefferson - Know Your Founding Father

bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 7:12:39 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Thomas Jefferson:

Thomas Jefferson had a large role in the foundation of the United States. He came from a relatively wealthy family of Virginia planters, but chose a different path in his life. He penned the Declaration of Independence, and took on a large role in the early American government, serving as the Governor of Virginia, a representative to the French government in the 1780s, Vice President to John Adams, and the third President of the United States. As president, Jefferson is most famous for the Louisiana Purchase, his encouragement of the Lewis and Clark expedition (patricians on 5/19/16), and sending Marines to defeat the Barbary pirates. After this, he retired to Monticello, his plantation in Virginia.

Thomas Jefferson was born on April 13th, 1743, to Peter Jefferson, a successful Virginia planter and surveyor, and Jane Randolph, who came from a distinguished family in Virginia. Jefferson inherited a large estate from his father, and began building Monticello when he was 26. Three years later, he married Martha Skelton, and the couple lived happily until her death 10 years later. Jefferson attended the College of William and Mary, and practiced law while serving as a magistrate in the local government. Later, Jefferson served as County Lieutenant, and was later in the Virginia House of Burgesses.

Jefferson later went to Congress when he was commissioned to be the principal writer of the Declaration of Independence. After penning this exceptional document, it was signed on July 4th, 1776 by delegates from all 13 colonies. After he retired from Congress and was done as Governor of Virginia, Jefferson took a few years' time away from politics. During this time, Jefferson studied architecture, science, government, law, and all manner of subjects at Monticello. He was called back into public service as an American representative to France, acting as Benjamin Franklin's assistant, and later his successor. While in France, he studied as much as he could of European Culture. He later came back to America, and served as Vice President under John Adams, and the third President of the United States. As president, Jefferson cut budgets, decreased government spending, and cut America's debt by a third. Next, he bought the Louisiana Purchase from Napoleon Bonaparte. The last two presidents, Washington and Adams, had paid tribute to the Barbary States, Algeria, Tripoli, and Tunis, in exchange for, well, not being pirates... Jefferson, however, had different plans. He declared war on the Barbary States, and sent a small force of US Marines to depose Pasha Yusuf Karamanli. The Marines, with the help of Arab mercenaries, carried out the Derna Campaign, and successfully deposed the Pasha. The line "...to the shores of Tripoli" in the official song of the US Marine Corps is in remembrance of this event. After serving for two terms, Jefferson retired from politics altogether.

On July 4th, 1826, Thomas Jefferson died within 5 hours of his best-friend-turned-enemy, John Adams. Jefferson was 83.

Sources:
https://www.whitehouse.gov...
https://www.monticello.org...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org...
http://www.history.com...
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 9:12:18 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/4/2016 8:11:44 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
10/10 Would like more founding fathers pls

Ight I'll send more on the way.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Beisht_Kione
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 2:36:06 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/4/2016 9:12:18 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 7/4/2016 8:11:44 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
10/10 Would like more founding fathers pls

Ight I'll send more on the way.

I'd like to order a couple General Sherman's as well, please.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 3:18:15 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/5/2016 2:36:06 AM, Beisht_Kione wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:12:18 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 7/4/2016 8:11:44 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
10/10 Would like more founding fathers pls

Ight I'll send more on the way.

I'd like to order a couple General Sherman's as well, please.

I'll write one tomorrow.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,287
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 2:43:23 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/5/2016 3:18:15 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 7/5/2016 2:36:06 AM, Beisht_Kione wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:12:18 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 7/4/2016 8:11:44 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
10/10 Would like more founding fathers pls

Ight I'll send more on the way.

I'd like to order a couple General Sherman's as well, please.

I'll write one tomorrow.

Yes, tell me more about the good will to our founding fathers. Tell me about how civilized they were, compared to those nasty savaged, native Indians that lived in harmony with nature. Tell me about the advanced intellect of the pilgrimage that would have had such wisdom starved and frozen without native assistance. Tell me how we massaqueared their existence and beliefs, only to bring in Jesus like a bar of soap to wash away all the bloodshed. Tell me more....
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 4:33:27 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/5/2016 2:43:23 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 7/5/2016 3:18:15 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 7/5/2016 2:36:06 AM, Beisht_Kione wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:12:18 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 7/4/2016 8:11:44 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
10/10 Would like more founding fathers pls

Ight I'll send more on the way.

I'd like to order a couple General Sherman's as well, please.

I'll write one tomorrow.

Yes, tell me more about the good will to our founding fathers. Tell me about how civilized they were, compared to those nasty savaged, native Indians that lived in harmony with nature. Tell me about the advanced intellect of the pilgrimage that would have had such wisdom starved and frozen without native assistance. Tell me how we massaqueared their existence and beliefs, only to bring in Jesus like a bar of soap to wash away all the bloodshed. Tell me more....

General Sherman wasn't a founding father, and it would help for you to lower the intensity of your stupidity by just one bar.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,287
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 5:21:27 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/5/2016 4:33:27 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 7/5/2016 2:43:23 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 7/5/2016 3:18:15 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 7/5/2016 2:36:06 AM, Beisht_Kione wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:12:18 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 7/4/2016 8:11:44 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
10/10 Would like more founding fathers pls

Ight I'll send more on the way.

I'd like to order a couple General Sherman's as well, please.

I'll write one tomorrow.

Yes, tell me more about the good will to our founding fathers. Tell me about how civilized they were, compared to those nasty savaged, native Indians that lived in harmony with nature. Tell me about the advanced intellect of the pilgrimage that would have had such wisdom starved and frozen without native assistance. Tell me how we massaqueared their existence and beliefs, only to bring in Jesus like a bar of soap to wash away all the bloodshed. Tell me more....

General Sherman wasn't a founding father, and it would help for you to lower the intensity of your stupidity by just one bar.

I'm trying to raise the bar, not lower the bar. I don't like to limbo, and I refuse to play it. I'm trying to make things easier for you. You're trying too run me through some mental gymnastics well beyond my capabilities. It's the stretching that bothers me the most. You're trying to split my mind. It won't work. I don't even know who this Sherman fellow is. I made know mention of him. I'm mechanized infantry. I drive Bradley Fighting Vehicles. I'm no tanker. I may have been in a tanker task force, but I'm hardly the fat slob sitting behind the best reflective armour known to man. No way. I fire TOE misses. I can bend a middle with the flip of a finger. I'm coming at you from around the corner. You'll never see me coming.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 5:45:27 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/5/2016 5:21:27 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 7/5/2016 4:33:27 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 7/5/2016 2:43:23 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 7/5/2016 3:18:15 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 7/5/2016 2:36:06 AM, Beisht_Kione wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:12:18 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 7/4/2016 8:11:44 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
10/10 Would like more founding fathers pls

Ight I'll send more on the way.

I'd like to order a couple General Sherman's as well, please.

I'll write one tomorrow.

Yes, tell me more about the good will to our founding fathers. Tell me about how civilized they were, compared to those nasty savaged, native Indians that lived in harmony with nature. Tell me about the advanced intellect of the pilgrimage that would have had such wisdom starved and frozen without native assistance. Tell me how we massaqueared their existence and beliefs, only to bring in Jesus like a bar of soap to wash away all the bloodshed. Tell me more....

General Sherman wasn't a founding father, and it would help for you to lower the intensity of your stupidity by just one bar.

I'm trying to raise the bar, not lower the bar. I don't like to limbo, and I refuse to play it. I'm trying to make things easier for you. You're trying too run me through some mental gymnastics well beyond my capabilities. It's the stretching that bothers me the most. You're trying to split my mind. It won't work. I don't even know who this Sherman fellow is. I made know mention of him. I'm mechanized infantry. I drive Bradley Fighting Vehicles. I'm no tanker. I may have been in a tanker task force, but I'm hardly the fat slob sitting behind the best reflective armour known to man. No way. I fire TOE misses. I can bend a middle with the flip of a finger. I'm coming at you from around the corner. You'll never see me coming.

I'm more than convinced that you are retarded.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 10:10:37 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/4/2016 7:12:39 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Love Jefferson.

Do Hamilton next, he was super dreamy.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 10:20:18 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/5/2016 10:10:37 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 7/4/2016 7:12:39 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Love Jefferson.

Do Hamilton next, he was super dreamy.

I'll do Sherman first, but I'll do Hamilton after. I also love Hamilton.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 10:32:25 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Do Ben Franklin too
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 1:41:48 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/5/2016 10:32:25 PM, someloser wrote:
Do Ben Franklin too

All these requests :D
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.