People From History Dinner Party

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 7:08:13 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 6:20:47 PM, Danielle wrote:
If you could host a dinner party with any 5 (dead) people from history, who would they be and why?

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt, and Hitler. Because the first 4 are great president, and the last is a great/crazy leader.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 7:24:38 PM
If you could host a dinner party with any 5 (dead) people from history, who would they be and why?

Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Aristotle, Pope Urban II, and John Locke.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:46:14 PM

George Washington, Aristotle or Socrates, John Locke, Adolf Hitler, and Jesus.

The first three are influential figures, and I wonder what they would think of modern society and current problems facing the world. Hitler was obviously crazy, but I world like to know more about him personally and challenge his ideas of Nazism. Meeting Jesus could actually tell me the truth about Christianity and whether its true or not.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:57:12 PM

Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau, Burke, and Marx to result in the battle of the gods.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 9:37:15 PM
At 7/14/2016 8:57:12 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau, Burke, and Marx to result in the battle of the gods.

That would be an interesting debate, although you have to understand that they are from different time periods and thus are aware/unaware of different things. If they are on the same level of historical knowledge, I do think that Locke would win. Burke, as evidenced by Paine's book "Rights of Man", has easily refutable arguments, while Marx applied idealistic idiocy to real world issues, and to much failure at that. Locke would easily destroy Marx as he could dismantle the Labor Theory of Value. Hobbes and Rousseau might be a tougher match.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 7:40:51 PM

Socrates, Jesus, Muhammad, Albert Einstein, and Kim Il-Sung.

Socrates and Einstein were extremely eccentric and intelligent people who I would really love to know and learn from, Jesus and Muhammad could give me interesting insight on the world's two largest religions, and I want to know exactly how Kim Il-Sung made North Koreans so loyal to him.
I don't have a signature. :-)
Tokamak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 8:16:38 PM

In a similar vein to the above-mentioned convention of political theorists, I will invite Descartes, Hume, Kant, Leibniz, and Berkeley.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd."
-Voltaire
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 5:33:28 AM

Assuming that we could communicate, Cicero, Muawiya I, Niccolo Machiavelli, Carl von Clausewitz, and Elizaveta of Russia.

Cicero was one of the greatest orators and statesmen to ever live, Muawiya I was what I consider a model ruler, Machiavelli was my favorite political commentator, Clausewitz was my favorite military commentator, and Elizaveta of Russia was a pretty awesome, if idiosyncratic, ruler. I would also draw on her party-planning expertise; I just would have to make sure that nobody one-upped her.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 2:59:58 AM

1. Jesus Christ - so I could hopefully discover for myself more of who he truly was.

2. Albert Einstein - so I could try to catch a glimpse of the enormity of his extensive vision regarding the nature of reality.

3. Florence Nightingale - because it truly amazes me that a person of wealth would turn away from it to help others in such awful conditions.

4. Samuel Clemens - so I could immerse myself first-hand in the elegance of his simplicity.

5. Aristotle - because it would be wonderfully exciting to hear him cooking-up logic from scratch.