Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Election of 1876

PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 9:20:18 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
The United States presidential election of 1876 is considered to be one of the most, if not THE most, contentious US presidential election in history. It is the only election in which a candidate for president received more than 50 percent of the popular vote, but was not elected president by the Electoral College, and one of four elections in which the person who won the most popular votes did not win the election. To date, it remains the election that recorded the smallest electoral vote victory (185 to 184) and the election that yielded the highest voter turnout of the eligible voting age population in American history, at 81.8%. The question of who should have been awarded the electoral votes is the source of the continued controversy concerning the results of this election.

In sum, do you think, given the results, Samuel J. Tilden should have been elected president and not Rutherford B. Hayes?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Emmarie
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 10:39:27 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 9:20:18 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
The United States presidential election of 1876 is considered to be one of the most, if not THE most, contentious US presidential election in history. It is the only election in which a candidate for president received more than 50 percent of the popular vote, but was not elected president by the Electoral College, and one of four elections in which the person who won the most popular votes did not win the election. To date, it remains the election that recorded the smallest electoral vote victory (185 to 184) and the election that yielded the highest voter turnout of the eligible voting age population in American history, at 81.8%. The question of who should have been awarded the electoral votes is the source of the continued controversy concerning the results of this election.

In sum, do you think, given the results, Samuel J. Tilden should have been elected president and not Rutherford B. Hayes?
I wish I had more fore knowledge of this particular election. It was a very transformative time in America's history, post civil war years were crucial to the beginnings of systemic racism and oppression in America.

To answer the question of your OP - most likely yes.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 10:42:07 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 10:39:27 PM, Emmarie wrote:
At 7/28/2016 9:20:18 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
The United States presidential election of 1876 is considered to be one of the most, if not THE most, contentious US presidential election in history. It is the only election in which a candidate for president received more than 50 percent of the popular vote, but was not elected president by the Electoral College, and one of four elections in which the person who won the most popular votes did not win the election. To date, it remains the election that recorded the smallest electoral vote victory (185 to 184) and the election that yielded the highest voter turnout of the eligible voting age population in American history, at 81.8%. The question of who should have been awarded the electoral votes is the source of the continued controversy concerning the results of this election.

In sum, do you think, given the results, Samuel J. Tilden should have been elected president and not Rutherford B. Hayes?
I wish I had more fore knowledge of this particular election. It was a very transformative time in America's history, post civil war years were crucial to the beginnings of systemic racism and oppression in America.

To answer the question of your OP - most likely yes.

Do you think Al Gore should have been elected since he got the popular vote, even though it was less than 50%?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Emmarie
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 10:58:53 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 10:42:07 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 7/28/2016 10:39:27 PM, Emmarie wrote:
At 7/28/2016 9:20:18 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
The United States presidential election of 1876 is considered to be one of the most, if not THE most, contentious US presidential election in history. It is the only election in which a candidate for president received more than 50 percent of the popular vote, but was not elected president by the Electoral College, and one of four elections in which the person who won the most popular votes did not win the election. To date, it remains the election that recorded the smallest electoral vote victory (185 to 184) and the election that yielded the highest voter turnout of the eligible voting age population in American history, at 81.8%. The question of who should have been awarded the electoral votes is the source of the continued controversy concerning the results of this election.

In sum, do you think, given the results, Samuel J. Tilden should have been elected president and not Rutherford B. Hayes?
I wish I had more fore knowledge of this particular election. It was a very transformative time in America's history, post civil war years were crucial to the beginnings of systemic racism and oppression in America.

To answer the question of your OP - most likely yes.

Do you think Al Gore should have been elected since he got the popular vote, even though it was less than 50%?
No, only if it had been at least 50%. I voted for Nader in 2000. My mom was really mad at people like me for costing Gore the election, as she put it. Truthfully if I hadn't voted for Nader, I probably would have voted for Bush. The only thing that I disagreed with him on was the Iraq War. I know a huge thing, right? I liked his Health Savings Plan, and legislation that he introduced and passed that made it mandatory that clinics that provide abortions must provide all information about other available options. I think he would have been a great president if it hadn't been for 9/11.
lannan13
Posts: 23,111
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 12:31:45 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
It depends on what Tilden would have done, we really didn't get much out of Hayes.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
KendoRe2
Posts: 126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 12:03:19 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Republicans let the black people down in 1876. The Democrats agreed to lose the election even though Tilden had more votes, if the Republicans would end reconstruction in the South, and so they did. Enter Jim Crow. Republicans cared more about the White House than the black people
jennnimaxx
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 9:18:43 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
This also happened in 2000. Although W. was declared the winner, it is obvious that the majority of american voters did not want that idiot.
2000 ends in zero. If Bush really won it he'd be dead by now.
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,395
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 1:47:27 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Now we are always criticizing other countrys that their election was fake or the ruling party must have stuffed the ballot box.
What do you think Peters? Can we do that when we have had 2 presidents who won an election even though they got fewer votes than the other guy?
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,395
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 2:45:53 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
In 1876 Rutherfraud B Hayes did not win the popular vote, NOR did he have more electoral votes.
At this time the confederate states were occupied by the US Army so a deal was made with the republicans, they would be given the electoral votes of S. Carolina, Florida, and Louisiana, if they withdrew the soldiers from the south.