Jump to topic:

Most interesting regimes of history?

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 6:31:21 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
What are some of the most interesting regimes throughout history? This includes any government in history, and could range from as early as Germanic city-states to as late as recently fallen regimes such as Hussein's Iraq.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 4:31:17 AM
At 8/25/2016 6:31:21 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
What are some of the most interesting regimes throughout history? This includes any government in history, and could range from as early as Germanic city-states to as late as recently fallen regimes such as Hussein's Iraq.

Idk much about history, and thus don't know much about regimes. But I do think that the establishment of the USSR through Lenin and later Stalin. And how they kept order and the rules they put in place are interesting, as well as some military coup in Brazil that I read about a bit.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 7:40:02 PM

The USSR is probably the most interesting. A perfect example of the failures of Communism and authoritarianism.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 7:44:30 PM
At 8/27/2016 7:40:02 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

The USSR is probably the most interesting. A perfect example of the failures of Communism and authoritarianism.

Authoritarianism is an understatement for the USSR; I would describe the USSR as totalitarian.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 11:57:08 PM
Pinochet in Chile, North Korea, China, USSR, Nazi Germany all come to mind fairly quickly.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:34:39 AM

Sulla is very interesting to me. Also, Muawiyah I's rise to power and the Qin Dynasty. I also think that Elizabeth (of Russia) was a really fascinating figure.

In the modern world, Lincoln is interesting, Disraeli too, and the various communist regimes. I like Eric Hoffer's work on modern mass movements; it's so insightful.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:34:53 AM
Mongols are also really cool.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 9:26:28 PM
The USSR. I have read stacks of books about this subject yet I still have questions. How? How is the biggest question. Why is another one. The USSR almost sounds like a horror story about another planet in a different universe, yet it happened right here on planet earth.
Does the USSR make planet earth the most degraded planet in the universe? Do ET's on other planets cringe when they hear about the USSR? I wonder these things.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 5:08:36 AM
Late Eastern Han dynasty (including Three Kingdoms period), Consulship of Tiberius Gracchi and Cicero. Also, Umar Ibn Khattab (RA).
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 9:59:13 PM

Nazi Germany
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2016 1:23:35 AM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
Sometimes I feel compelled to know more about Spanish authoritarian regime during WWII, ruled by General Francisco Franco, sometimes called "el generalisimo". He is also deserved to be called, as other dictators, a son of a ...

BR
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 8:10:16 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago

An obvious choice would be ancient Rome. Between the fact that Rome started as a small, uncivilized tribe, surrounded by other hostile tribes, that they managed to not only learn but also successfully apply a plethora lessons that various different peoples learned over time, particularly the Greeks, the Egyptians, and the inhabitants of the Iberian peninsula, and that they managed to weather a very large number of government meltdowns and invasions before finally permanently capitulating, ancient Rome is definitely an oddity in the history of empires.

Other, lesser known choices would be late Tsarist Russia, Republic-era China, the Second Reich, 17th century Sweden, the Byzantine Empire, Moorish Spain, the Assyrian Empire, ancient Greece (including the Minoan and Mycenaean periods), and the Mughal Empire.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2016 7:25:12 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
Romans - It amazes me how people with ancient technology can forge a huge empire. Not only that, but also the political civil wars that always happens in Rome. Unlike the Mongols, Rome was able to maintain its empire for hundreds of years and the political quarrels they have makes it all the more interesting.

USSR - Just seeing how much Russia went through amuses me. They participated in WW1, while having a civil war and they are a major participator in WW2. Also, seeing the rise of Stalin and his brutality made it all the more interesting. They've just been through so much and did a lot.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2016 11:39:50 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
The Inca's are my choice. A huge Empire that lasted 100s of years without benefit of metal or the wheel.
See the happy moron: he doesn't give a damn:I wish I were a moron:My God! perhaps I am!. Anonymous.