Jump to topic:

Cold War Origins

SebUK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 10:44:57 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Do you align yourself more with orthodox (e.g. Feis, Kennan), revisionist (e.g. Williams) or post-revisionist (e.g. Gaddis) interpretations of the origins of the Cold War? In my opinion, the USSR is mostly responsible for the start of the cold war due to their aggressive expansionist policies in Eastern Europe.
I WILL DECIDE WHAT THIS DEBATE IS ABOUT. I AM SPIRITUAL, NOT RELIGIOYUS. YOU DONT HAVE TO BE RELIGIOUS TO BELIEVE IN GOD, AND YOU DO WORSHIP MONEY IF YOU CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR WALLET THAAN YOU DO THE POOR. YOU ARE A TROLL THAT IS OUT FOR ATTENTUION."- SitaraMusica
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2017 8:09:56 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 10/14/2016 10:44:57 AM, SebUK wrote:
Do you align yourself more with orthodox (e.g. Feis, Kennan), revisionist (e.g. Williams) or post-revisionist (e.g. Gaddis) interpretations of the origins of the Cold War? In my opinion, the USSR is mostly responsible for the start of the cold war due to their aggressive expansionist policies in Eastern Europe.

You may have a case. I only recently got an appreciation of Hitler's position regarding the USSR. Before the start of WW2 Hitler and others in the party were concerned about soviet expansion since 1917.

In fact part of Hitler's strategy may have been to conquer Western Europe in order to better oppose that expansion. A huge Western German empire could then feasibly resist and turn back the USSR.

It's interesting to listen to some of Hitler's lesser known speeches on Youtube that have been translated to English, several of them speak about the USSR in similar terms to how the West spoke of the USSR in the 50s and 60s.
Unterseeboot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2017 12:21:00 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 10/14/2016 10:44:57 AM, SebUK wrote:

Well insofar as revisionist historians go, I prefer the likes of Howard Zinn and Noam Chomsky to your guys, and regarding the origins of the Cold War, my opinion dovetails with theirs. And that is to opine that we the USA were far more aggressive and expansionist that was the USSR. We covertly did things to them and their allies that, had the USSR tried that crap on us, we would've considered them justifiable acts of war. Google Operation Able Archer for an example. We also have a lot to answer for in our interference and downright hostility to several Latin American countries during the Cold War era. And another thing....The so called Cuban missile crisis was our fault too, and it was a Russian nuclear sub XO who should get most credit for avoiding nuclear war back then, not JFK.