Jump to topic:

Cotton Gin

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 6:12:00 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
So in APUSH, my teacher just told us about the state of slavery in the 1780s-1800, and because tobacco was becoming worthless for money, selling for pennies, the economic worth of slavery probably would've ended it by 1810 or earlier. The price for a single slave around this time was $400

But then someone made the cotton gin, which made cotton production faster, which meant cotton had to be picked more, which led to slavery becoming important again. The price of slaves changed, cotton became very valuable, and we all know what happened to the slaves.

Apparently the cotton gin was invented by a slave for his owner, Eli Whitney.

Irony :3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 6:37:45 PM
At 10/19/2016 6:12:00 PM, Vaarka wrote:
So in APUSH, my teacher just told us about the state of slavery in the 1780s-1800, and because tobacco was becoming worthless for money, selling for pennies, the economic worth of slavery probably would've ended it by 1810 or earlier. The price for a single slave around this time was $400

But then someone made the cotton gin, which made cotton production faster, which meant cotton had to be picked more, which led to slavery becoming important again. The price of slaves changed, cotton became very valuable, and we all know what happened to the slaves.

The cotton gin was not invented by a slave, but it did contribute to the increase use of slaves in the south. http://www.biography.com...
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 6:40:10 PM
At 10/19/2016 6:37:45 PM, Peepette wrote:

The cotton gin was not invented by a slave, but it did contribute to the increase use of slaves in the south. http://www.biography.com...

I looked that up after posting, and it said Eli Whitney did it. Either my APUSH teacher is wrong (which would both surprise me and not surprise me), or the internet is wrong.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 6:50:37 PM

Also, did you get my PM?

Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 7:32:50 PM
At 10/19/2016 6:40:10 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I looked that up after posting, and it said Eli Whitney did it. Either my APUSH teacher is wrong (which would both surprise me and not surprise me), or the internet is wrong.

Eli Whitney and Sam Slater are historical heroes in our area. The cotton gin and the thread spinner started the textile industry here in the North East. Just about every 4th grader visits Slater Mill and gazes upon both these two machines. Teachers glorify the great industrial age, but leave out the dismal working conditions.