Jump to topic:

Low Level Thinking In Action Movies

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 6:15:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A new trend is surfacing. There has been a recent stream of action movies that include a little bit of philosophical or deep thought.

EXHIBIT A: Inception

Inception is a movie that draws upon some basic psychology and a touch of Freud to produce an action movies that makes people go "That really made me think" when in reality, the same ideas can be illustrated in less than 3 minutes in an average Psychology class. The whole idea of dreams being inside dreams and finding secrets is just a ton of Bullsht to try and make people feel like they are watching something deep...at a second glance the movie's plot does not make any sense (que video 1).

EXHIBIT B: The Adjustment Bureau

Similar to Inception (but worse) The Adjustment Bureau (T.A.B.) is another movie that draws upon mildly deep and thought provoking topics. This time the question of free will vs. choice, which has come up in these forums countless times. Que Video 2. In TAB the main character is suddenly confronted with the fact that he cannot control his own destiny, that it is pre-chosen for him and he cannot control what happens because that's what was supposed to happen. Seem's like a good plot no? Let me continue, once he figures out that his destiny is unchangeable he also realizes that his destiny is controlled by a C.I.A.-like "bureau" that literally MAKES things happen to plan by using brute force such as shutting telephones down or crashing cars. Instead of going into the topic (which was a good one) into depth they kept it at a level in which the common dumbsht could understand. Into an action movie with people in fedoras chasing Matt Damon and SWAT teams and the like.
Sidenote: Almost every scene had a boom mic in the shot.

"Cram them full of noncombustible data, chock them so damned full of ‘facts' that they feel stuffed, but absolutely ‘brilliant' with information. Then they'll feel they're thinking, they'll get a sense of motion without moving. And they'll be happy, because facts of that sort don't change." ~Ray Bradbury in Fahrenheit 451
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 6:42:56 PM
You mean free will vs. determinism. Free will vs. choice doesn't make any sense.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 7:36:54 PM
At 3/16/2011 7:06:27 PM, nonentity wrote:
How does Inception's plot not make sense? It was pretty straightforward.

In that you knew what was going on, yes. In that you knew how it was going on, no.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 7:37:11 PM
At 3/16/2011 6:42:56 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
You mean free will vs. determinism. Free will vs. choice doesn't make any sense.

I forgot the word