Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

What is an IRA? What is a Roth tax structure

askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 11:48:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 9:13:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
really no one at all?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 9:24:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It's a tax-structured incentive to send more of your money to the point in your life when you have the least capacity to enjoy it. What of it?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 9:41:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 9:24:23 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
It's a tax-structured incentive to send more of your money to the point in your life when you have the least capacity to enjoy it. What of it?

lol so you don't believe in saving any of your money?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 11:35:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I thought it was great, but his math kind of failed. If, when it is taxed at the end, it would be $1,000,000 in the middle, it should be less than that when it is taxed at the beginning. Additionally, if it is taxed at the beginning, the interest should be less because it is interest on less money.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2011 7:32:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 9:41:16 PM, askbob wrote:
At 3/26/2011 9:24:23 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
It's a tax-structured incentive to send more of your money to the point in your life when you have the least capacity to enjoy it. What of it?

lol so you don't believe in saving any of your money?

I don't believe in saving it for the specific purpose of being a lazy old fart.

Of course, if I did plan to be a lazy old fart, I'd be better served doing what I need to do anyway once I have an income-- pay off private student loans.

More important than any of that is that the government shouldn't be making up arcane instruments with restrictions on the use of their money that no one would ever put money into if it weren't a way to reduce the amount the government steals from you.

Now, people who do want to be lazy old farts, and trust the government 40 years down the road, those people of course have plenty of reason to learn about such instruments-- though since 90% are students, unless they're scholarship'd up they have no reason to input funds. But their preferences really oughtn't be subsidized.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2011 2:02:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 11:35:18 PM, mongoose wrote:
I thought it was great, but his math kind of failed. If, when it is taxed at the end, it would be $1,000,000 in the middle, it should be less than that when it is taxed at the beginning. Additionally, if it is taxed at the beginning, the interest should be less because it is interest on less money.

it wasn't a perfect mathematical explanation but it terms of being entertaining and explaining the difference, i think he accomplished his goals
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2011 2:03:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 11:05:28 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
Did you make that video?

i wish, i'm working on a similar video
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2011 2:05:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/27/2011 7:32:49 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 3/26/2011 9:41:16 PM, askbob wrote:
At 3/26/2011 9:24:23 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
It's a tax-structured incentive to send more of your money to the point in your life when you have the least capacity to enjoy it. What of it?

lol so you don't believe in saving any of your money?

I don't believe in saving it for the specific purpose of being a lazy old fart.

Of course, if I did plan to be a lazy old fart, I'd be better served doing what I need to do anyway once I have an income-- pay off private student loans.

More important than any of that is that the government shouldn't be making up arcane instruments with restrictions on the use of their money that no one would ever put money into if it weren't a way to reduce the amount the government steals from you.

Now, people who do want to be lazy old farts, and trust the government 40 years down the road, those people of course have plenty of reason to learn about such instruments-- though since 90% are students, unless they're scholarship'd up they have no reason to input funds. But their preferences really oughtn't be subsidized.

so in your opinion 90 year olds should be doing manual labor? I mean come on ragnar.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2011 2:48:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/27/2011 2:05:16 PM, askbob wrote:
At 3/27/2011 7:32:49 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 3/26/2011 9:41:16 PM, askbob wrote:
At 3/26/2011 9:24:23 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
It's a tax-structured incentive to send more of your money to the point in your life when you have the least capacity to enjoy it. What of it?

lol so you don't believe in saving any of your money?

I don't believe in saving it for the specific purpose of being a lazy old fart.

Of course, if I did plan to be a lazy old fart, I'd be better served doing what I need to do anyway once I have an income-- pay off private student loans.

More important than any of that is that the government shouldn't be making up arcane instruments with restrictions on the use of their money that no one would ever put money into if it weren't a way to reduce the amount the government steals from you.

Now, people who do want to be lazy old farts, and trust the government 40 years down the road, those people of course have plenty of reason to learn about such instruments-- though since 90% are students, unless they're scholarship'd up they have no reason to input funds. But their preferences really oughtn't be subsidized.

so in your opinion 90 year olds should be doing manual labor? I mean come on ragnar.

Exactly how many people with an expected profession of manual labor do you think you'll find on DDO?

Obviously, people who are manual laborers will have to save for a reduction in income as they switch to lower impact labor. They have every right to ignore my advice and save for full retirement anyway-- but they have no right to subsidy for it.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2011 6:19:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
old people's minds go due to alzheimers, they are weaker, are less efficient, less likely to try something new etc. As people get older they should be retiring and it should be subsidized because it's a biological process. People get older.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2011 12:03:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/27/2011 6:19:48 PM, askbob wrote:
old people's minds go due to alzheimers, they are weaker, are less efficient, less likely to try something new etc. As people get older they should be retiring and it should be subsidized because it's a biological process.
If it's universal, there is no point in subsidizing it! Their younger selves can do so. That's mind-numbingly obvious even if you ignore the moral problems in taking from people who are still productive despite your claims.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 6:24:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/28/2011 12:03:24 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 3/27/2011 6:19:48 PM, askbob wrote:
old people's minds go due to alzheimers, they are weaker, are less efficient, less likely to try something new etc. As people get older they should be retiring and it should be subsidized because it's a biological process.

If it's universal, there is no point in subsidizing it! Their younger selves can do so. That's mind-numbingly obvious even if you ignore the moral problems in taking from people who are still productive despite your claims.

You are completely idiotic. It's not subsidized in the first place. Not being taxed =/= subsidization.

Second it's a tool used for income smoothing which essentially allows everyone to be taxed less and have their income in a lower tax bracket. It allows for tax free interest.

It's essentially a way to escape a large amount of tax. Something you should be in favor of.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 11:11:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/29/2011 6:24:38 PM, askbob wrote:
At 3/28/2011 12:03:24 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 3/27/2011 6:19:48 PM, askbob wrote:
old people's minds go due to alzheimers, they are weaker, are less efficient, less likely to try something new etc. As people get older they should be retiring and it should be subsidized because it's a biological process.

If it's universal, there is no point in subsidizing it! Their younger selves can do so. That's mind-numbingly obvious even if you ignore the moral problems in taking from people who are still productive despite your claims.

You are completely idiotic. It's not subsidized in the first place. Not being taxed =/= subsidization.
When money will be taxed UNLESS contributed to a special account, it is subsidized. A GENERALIZED reduction of taxes is not a subsidy, but a specific reduction for a specific purpose IS.


Second it's a tool used for income smoothing which essentially allows everyone to be taxed less
No, it causes people who do not intend to retire to be taxed more than they would otherwise, as the general rates are higher as a result of specialized exceptions.

It's essentially a way to escape a large amount of tax. Something you should be in favor of.
Tell me, would you say I should be in favor of a rule that says "Taxes are abolished, but only for black people?" No, in the absence of a generalized rule, such a thing would only lead to a general increase in taxation.

The same applies to "Taxes are reduced on a certain amount of money, but only if that money is put to government-approved uses." That is merely a social engineering tool, not a true reduction of tax burden.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.