Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

"OMG", "LOL" and "FYI": Are they real words?

SuzzaneO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 3:27:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The Oxford English Dictionary recently added these ridiculous words to its pages. I don't care if a lot of people use them or not; they are ridiculous acronyms at best and should NOT be considered real words acceptable for use. This is teen talk that will get you no where in the real world.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 4:07:38 PM
No, they are phrases.

OMG - Oh my gawd
LOL - Laugh out loud
FYI - For your information

You also have, LMAO, WTF, GTFO, COMD, BRB, TTYL, and many more.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 4:13:05 PM
At 3/25/2011 3:27:55 PM, SuzzaneO wrote:
The Oxford English Dictionary recently added these ridiculous words to its pages. I don't care if a lot of people use them or not; they are ridiculous acronyms at best and should NOT be considered real words acceptable for use. This is teen talk that will get you no where in the real world.

Of course no one should actually say these acronyms out loud(i hate when people do it in online games), but that doesn't make them any less worthy of the dictionary.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 5:18:49 PM
Acronyms aren't new; indeed they were even more common when people communicated by telex... for example: "tks/brgds for the b/h w/e" was the abbreviation for "thanks and best regards for the bank holiday weekend".
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 5:29:33 PM
omg, this again

lol, fyi ur a baby, no 1 takes u srsly
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 6:12:22 PM
You forgot LSHMSFOAIDMT. It means "Laughed so hard my sombrero fell off and I dropped my taco". It's one level above LSHMWFO which is "Laughed so hard my weave fell out".
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 6:18:08 PM
They're not real words, but why shouldn't they be in the dictionary? People learning English need to know idioms too. Scuba is an acronym, and it has become its own word in its own right.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 6:19:04 PM
At 3/25/2011 6:12:22 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
You forgot LSHMSFOAIDMT. It means "Laughed so hard my sombrero fell off and I dropped my taco". It's one level above LSHMWFO which is "Laughed so hard my weave fell out".

I thought LSHMSFOAIDMT stood for "Laughed so hard Micro Soft forced Oprah's artifical ideology down Mother Teresa"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 1:09:00 PM
they also put in "tasty" as to mean someone was a good fighter. dunno if it's still he's a tasty fighter or just he's tasty.. i thought that was funny. tasthy we'd say :)
signature
SuzzaneO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2011 5:28:33 PM
At 3/25/2011 6:18:08 PM, nonentity wrote:
They're not real words, but why shouldn't they be in the dictionary? People learning English need to know idioms too. Scuba is an acronym, and it has become its own word in its own right.

I agree with you about SCUBA, but the same could be said for Band-Aid or Kleenex. They are essentially brandable names that have become synonymous with the product which they are selling. LOL and OMG are not the same....at ALL! brandable names? nope. SCUBA, BAND-AID and Kleenex...YES!
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2011 6:33:00 PM
At 3/27/2011 5:28:33 PM, SuzzaneO wrote:

I agree with you about SCUBA, but the same could be said for Band-Aid or Kleenex. They are essentially brandable names that have become synonymous with the product which they are selling. LOL and OMG are not the same....at ALL! brandable names? nope. SCUBA, BAND-AID and Kleenex...YES!

SCUBA isn't a brand name...
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2011 6:13:23 AM
At 3/27/2011 6:33:00 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:

And Band aid and Kleenex aren't acronyms...

Oh wait... http://www.urbandictionary.com...
SuzzaneO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2011 9:04:52 AM

Scuba isn't a brand name? You sure? If I were to go SCUBA diving, I would buy SCUBA gear. I would need scuba fins, scuba goggles, etc. http://www.diversdirect.com...
The underwater breathing apparatus is the ONLY item that SCUBA stands for, yet wholesalers reference the word SCUBA in all of their products. The fins, goggles, etc have NOTHING to do with being able to breathe underwater, yet they are still called "scuba fins" and "scuba goggles". The word is brandable.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2011 1:27:28 PM
At 3/25/2011 3:27:55 PM, SuzzaneO wrote:

Language evolves. And it doesn't matter whether you think it's teen-talk or bs or intellectual laziness, or whatever. As long as people understand what's been said, and a number of them use it, it will get added to the lexicon.

As an aside, which words do YOU think have the right to be added to the lexicon? Do you have any criteria?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2011 1:29:06 PM
At 3/25/2011 4:07:38 PM, OreEle wrote:
COMD

?
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2011 2:07:06 PM
At 3/28/2011 9:04:52 AM, SuzzaneO wrote:

Scuba isn't a brand name? You sure? If I were to go SCUBA diving, I would buy SCUBA gear. I would need scuba fins, scuba goggles, etc. http://www.diversdirect.com...
The underwater breathing apparatus is the ONLY item that SCUBA stands for, yet wholesalers reference the word SCUBA in all of their products. The fins, goggles, etc have NOTHING to do with being able to breathe underwater, yet they are still called "scuba fins" and "scuba goggles". The word is brandable.

That's like saying television is a brand name. Check out http://www.diversdirect.com.... What is the brand name for those products?