Jump to topic:

Legality

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 11:57:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was wondering if a child has a job and earns money themselves, outside of the family, if it is legal for parents to take things that the child buys.
Or if the child and parent have a written agreement that waives the parents right of said item.

I'm about to have internet gone, phone gone, ability to walk to the library gone, etc, and was wondering if having a job would actually fix any of this last minute PMSing BS.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 12:06:32 PM
At 3/26/2011 11:57:12 AM, lovelife wrote:
I was wondering if a child has a job and earns money themselves, outside of the family, if it is legal for parents to take things that the child buys.
Or if the child and parent have a written agreement that waives the parents right of said item.

I'm about to have internet gone, phone gone, ability to walk to the library gone, etc, and was wondering if having a job would actually fix any of this last minute PMSing BS.

You must have been very bad.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 12:06:47 PM
Yes.

Unless the agreement is an "emancipation," signed in a courtroom, the courts consider such things non-justiciable. You see, unemancipated minors can't make contracts.

If you can get your parents to let you agree to get the job, and if you can become financially independent with such a job, you can get emancipated-- with a little luck in what courtroom you're in. Short of that, unless you can prove physical or sexual abuse, you are chattel.

Looks like Nebraska doesn't have a statute for these things, and the "general rules" for common law proceedings are stacked against you, so if you go for that you'd best be really really financially independent :P.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 1:29:19 PM
At 3/26/2011 12:06:32 PM, innomen wrote:
Or if the child and parent have a written agreement walk to the library gone, etc, and was wondering if having a job would actually fix any of this last minute PMSing BS.

Nope. I just asked why we were doing things differently.
My bros were obnoxious. Sorry laptop not workingg. On the ipod. Btw uf this sticks have me relaced in every game im in etc.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 3:22:03 PM
At 3/26/2011 1:29:19 PM, lovelife wrote:
Or if the child and parent have a written agreement walk to the library gone, etc, and was wondering if having a job would actually fix any of this last minute PMSing BS.

My bros were obnoxious. Sorry laptop not workingg. On the ipod. Btw uf this sticks have me relaced in every game im in etc.

I made a proxy lol :D
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 3:23:55 PM
At 3/26/2011 3:22:03 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 3/26/2011 1:29:19 PM, lovelife wrote:

I made a proxy lol :D

False alarm. DDO just isn't shut down on my laptop
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 3:28:02 PM
I don't know how it affects your situation with phone and laptop privileges.

As far as MONEY, you can set up a trust that your parents can't touch. After a highly publicized case of parents stealing a child actors money, the legal system created additional protections for children's money.

This however only applies to money. Even if you bought your laptop yourself, your parents can confiscate it for parental reasons. They can't steal it and sell it, but they can still impose rules on your use of your own items.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 5:29:37 PM
At 3/26/2011 3:28:02 PM, bluesteel wrote:

As far as MONEY, you can set up a trust that your parents can't touch. After a highly publicized case of parents stealing a child actors money, the legal system created additional protections for children's money.

This however only applies to money. Even if you bought your laptop yourself, your parents can confiscate it for parental reasons. They can't steal it and sell it, but they can still impose rules on your use of your own items.

>.<

Meh I'm getting a job, getting emancipated and then will move in with my aunt. the same way grown adults sometimes room with each other.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 5:56:51 PM
At 3/26/2011 5:29:37 PM, lovelife wrote:

>.<

Meh I'm getting a job, getting emancipated and then will move in with my aunt. the same way grown adults sometimes room with each other.

you'll have to show the court you have enough income to get a room genuinely independently. And I'd suggest telling them that's your plan until you have the emancipation in hand, and leaving no evidence of communication of the matter with your aunt. Once you have the emancipation in hand you can of course move in with anyone who'll take ya.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 6:20:37 PM
At 3/26/2011 5:56:51 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 3/26/2011 5:29:37 PM, lovelife wrote:

>.<

you'll have to show the court you have enough income to get a room genuinely independently. And I'd suggest telling them that's your plan until you have the emancipation in hand, and leaving no evidence of communication of the matter with your aunt. Once you have the emancipation in hand you can of course move in with anyone who'll take ya.

that's what I was planning on :D

things are looking brighter I'd say.