Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Extreme Couponing

PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 10:47:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Some of you may be aware of some show on TLC featuring extreme couponing. For those who have not, I'll provide a brief summary and video clip. Basically some people have figured out ways to save incredible amounts of money at the grocery store. Some payments went from $170 down to a nickle ($0.05).

Now, that's great and all but it got me thinking.

1. Are these people only buying items that have coupons attached to them? IOW, are they simply buying things they wouldn't necessarily want just because there is a coupon that goes along with it?

I don't get junk food for my home (out of sight, out of mind). My perception of most coupons is that they encompass mostly crap food with high msg's, high sodium, and little nutritional value (might as well eat styrofoam), not whole foods. I could be wrong about that though.

So the question is whether or not you're purchasing items based solely on how much you can not pay for it. So are they getting items they don't actually want or need simply because it has a coupon that goes with it?

Please note in this video that this woman, who is probably a behemoth, bought like 10 tubs of butter, 16 boxes of pancake mix, 412 Gatorade.... Why Because it had a coupon. She's clearly buying more than she will ever use, and unless she gives it away, most of those items will spoil.

2. Aren't venders going to catch on? Coupons are obviously geared towards attracting people to buy a certain food item in hopes that they'll like it and then want to eat it regularly for the rest of their lives.

But if a store is losing so much revenue because so many more people are "extreme couponing," will stores eventually start refusing to carry items that are discounted and will they hike up the prices to adjust for the loss, making anyone who doesn't spend inordinate amounts of time searching for coupons pay more?

3. There is an unexpected altruism that has come from this though, and I should feature it. This has allowed some average citizens to cheaply purchase products in order to donate them to the poor without disenfranchising themselves in the process.

So I guess there are pro's and con's.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 10:55:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I honestly want to vomit, looking at the amount of food and pop (or soda, as you guys call it) in the first video... Gluttony at its finest.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 10:57:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've never heard of extreme couponing in my life... Here, coupons tend to specify one per customer. And a lot of times they require a 'skill-testing question' that's usually a math equation you have to solve in order to redeem your coupon.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 10:58:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
There's also the cost of getting coupons. The high school football/baseball/softball/band/everything else, goes door to door every 3 months, selling coupon books to raise money. If we're talking about "free" coupons, I'd like to know where they are getting them. I get some "free" coupons in the mail every week, but never anything to that extent.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Heathen
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 11:00:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/11/2011 10:47:45 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Some of you may be aware of some show on TLC featuring extreme couponing. For those who have not, I'll provide a brief summary and video clip. Basically some people have figured out ways to save incredible amounts of money at the grocery store. Some payments went from $170 down to a nickle ($0.05).

Now, that's great and all but it got me thinking.

1. Are these people only buying items that have coupons attached to them? IOW, are they simply buying things they wouldn't necessarily want just because there is a coupon that goes along with it?

I don't get junk food for my home (out of sight, out of mind). My perception of most coupons is that they encompass mostly crap food with high msg's, high sodium, and little nutritional value (might as well eat styrofoam), not whole foods. I could be wrong about that though.

So the question is whether or not you're purchasing items based solely on how much you can not pay for it. So are they getting items they don't actually want or need simply because it has a coupon that goes with it?

Please note in this video that this woman, who is probably a behemoth, bought like 10 tubs of butter, 16 boxes of pancake mix, 412 Gatorade.... Why Because it had a coupon. She's clearly buying more than she will ever use, and unless she gives it away, most of those items will spoil.

2. Aren't venders going to catch on? Coupons are obviously geared towards attracting people to buy a certain food item in hopes that they'll like it and then want to eat it regularly for the rest of their lives.

But if a store is losing so much revenue because so many more people are "extreme couponing," will stores eventually start refusing to carry items that are discounted and will they hike up the prices to adjust for the loss, making anyone who doesn't spend inordinate amounts of time searching for coupons pay more?

3. There is an unexpected altruism that has come from this though, and I should feature it. This has allowed some average citizens to cheaply purchase products in order to donate them to the poor without disenfranchising themselves in the process.

So I guess there are pro's and con's.





Well I have seen coupons for whole good foods like loaves of bread and vegtables (granted the veggies were frozen, not fresh) and other things that werent completely junk food. Pancake mix is very esential. I dont think that stores will stop selling certain discount items Simply because a few people are saving hundreds on food doesnt mean that the majority of people that use that store are, and I think they would still make an income.
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 11:33:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
opportunity cost = extra time involved in getting those coupons and using them = not worth the amount of savings.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 11:46:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/11/2011 10:55:45 AM, nonentity wrote:
I honestly want to vomit, looking at the amount of food and pop (or soda, as you guys call it) in the first video... Gluttony at its finest.

No, Couponers buy a bunch of stuff and stock it. She is not gonna eat it all at the same time. And she said she shares it.
kfc
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 3:00:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My aunt does a less extreme version of this... I feel like I don't need to watch the show when I can just sit at her house and watch her get ready to go shopping :)
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 3:06:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/11/2011 11:46:00 AM, Koopin wrote:
At 4/11/2011 10:55:45 AM, nonentity wrote:
I honestly want to vomit, looking at the amount of food and pop (or soda, as you guys call it) in the first video... Gluttony at its finest.

No, Couponers buy a bunch of stuff and stock it. She is not gonna eat it all at the same time. And she said she shares it.

True, but I can't imagine how many people it would take to drink all that pop. And that meat will spoil pretty quickly. It's one thing if she's throwing a party for 100 people, but she claims she also did this sort of shopping the week before. I don't see a purpose in buying that much food weekly.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 3:45:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/11/2011 3:06:23 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 4/11/2011 11:46:00 AM, Koopin wrote:
At 4/11/2011 10:55:45 AM, nonentity wrote:
I honestly want to vomit, looking at the amount of food and pop (or soda, as you guys call it) in the first video... Gluttony at its finest.

No, Couponers buy a bunch of stuff and stock it. She is not gonna eat it all at the same time. And she said she shares it.

True, but I can't imagine how many people it would take to drink all that pop. And that meat will spoil pretty quickly. It's one thing if she's throwing a party for 100 people, but she claims she also did this sort of shopping the week before. I don't see a purpose in buying that much food weekly.

Several big family barbecues. My wife's grandpa will have like 30 people (mostly family and friends) over every other week for a barbecue.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 3:50:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/11/2011 10:47:45 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
But if a store is losing so much revenue because so many more people are "extreme couponing," will stores eventually start refusing to carry items that are discounted and will they hike up the prices to adjust for the loss, making anyone who doesn't spend inordinate amounts of time searching for coupons pay more?

Probably not refuse coupons, but I think raising prices is a likely option.

and

"I'm thinking about donating the two year old."

Lol of course, right after she got done helping you pack all your food!"
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 4:10:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
you could freeze most of that perishable stuff and have it last probably a year... plus like she said they have all kinds of family gatherings where people stuff their faces.

anyhow i think askbob nailed it... it takes a lot of time and effort to collect all those coupons... most people wouldn't find it worth the effort, so most people don't do it and stores don't lose out drastically.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 4:32:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/11/2011 3:06:23 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 4/11/2011 11:46:00 AM, Koopin wrote:
At 4/11/2011 10:55:45 AM, nonentity wrote:
I honestly want to vomit, looking at the amount of food and pop (or soda, as you guys call it) in the first video... Gluttony at its finest.

No, Couponers buy a bunch of stuff and stock it. She is not gonna eat it all at the same time. And she said she shares it.

True, but I can't imagine how many people it would take to drink all that pop. And that meat will spoil pretty quickly. It's one thing if she's throwing a party for 100 people, but she claims she also did this sort of shopping the week before. I don't see a purpose in buying that much food weekly.

my family would use it all pretty quickly. most likely within 2 weeks.
and what's wrong with soda anyway?
easy to hand out to others, or sell near a school after school.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Osiris
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 4:42:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I say if you have the time to sit down and clip coupons for hours on end to save money, then more power to you!
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire