Jump to topic:

Are you American? Got a passport?

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 6:18:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
There seems to be some dispute about what percentage of adult US citizens own a passport.

• 25%: "75% of Americans don't own a passport"
• 22%: "just 22% of Americans own a passport"
• <20%: "less than 20% of all Americans own a passport"
• 15%: "85 percent of Americans do not own a passport"
• 10%: "only 10 percent of US citizens *ever* own a passport"
• <10%: "fewer than 10 percent own a passport"
• 7%: "only seven percent of Americans own a passport"

http://www.gyford.com...

How many of the American members of this site have one, I wonder?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 8:38:24 AM
do not.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 9:13:24 AM
Don't have a passport. Mexico and the Bahamas don't require it, and everywhere else I've been has been on a military deployment. Military i.d. card acts as a passport because they're recognized through the Geneva Convention.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 9:17:22 AM
I used to but I need to get a new one since it expired most likely. Its over 10 years old.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 10:54:08 AM
I suppose I understand why fewer Americans than Europeans have passports.

Say you lived in Boston and you embarked upon a 2,750 mile road trip to San Francisco, you would not, of course, have to leave the United States and wouldn't, therefore, require a passport.

Now, say you lived in London and you embarked upon a similar road trip, 2,750 miles later you would arrive in Tehran having travelled through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria and Turkey en route to Iran.
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:04:44 AM
I dont.
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:09:32 AM
Used to not need one for Canada either, now you can use some sort of Citizenship card or something.
I'd wan't a passport just to have it but they aren't cheap or easy to get, It's usually not worth the effort unless you are specifically going to need it.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:45:44 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:09:32 AM, lewis20 wrote:
Used to not need one for Canada either, now you can use some sort of Citizenship card or something.

?

I think for Canadians to drive to the US we even need passports now lol I'm not 100% about this.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:49:15 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:45:44 AM, nonentity wrote:

?

I think for Canadians to drive to the US we even need passports now lol I'm not 100% about this.

Yeah, but it used to be legal just to cross over. Now you crazy Canadians keep smuggling in untaxed bacon, so we had to make it illegal.
kfc
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:56:04 AM

?

Yes we do. When I tried to cross the border in febuary a passport was required and I was on a bus.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 12:49:25 PM
At 5/10/2011 10:54:08 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I suppose I understand why fewer Americans than Europeans have passports.

Say you lived in Boston and you embarked upon a 2,750 mile road trip to San Francisco, you would not, of course, have to leave the United States and wouldn't, therefore, require a passport.

Now, say you lived in London and you embarked upon a similar road trip, 2,750 miles later you would arrive in Tehran having travelled through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria and Turkey en route to Iran.:

That might be part of it. America is very large, and there are places nearby that they like to visit; (Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, the Micronesian islands, etc) that often don't require a passport (this is changing though).

Americans just really aren't well-traveled comparatively to Europeans and Asians. I don't really know why that is, but I'm getting old and I really haven't been outside of the US very much or very far. Shame, really. There's so many places I would like to go but are logistical nightmares for me.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 12:54:59 PM
At 5/10/2011 12:49:25 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

That might be part of it. America is very large, and there are places nearby that they like to visit; (Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, the Micronesian islands, etc) that often don't require a passport (this is changing though).

Americans don't need passports to go to Mexico and the Caribbean? That's interesting... I wonder if Canadians could go anywhere in The Commonwealth without a passport? I highly doubt it.

Americans just really aren't well-traveled comparatively to Europeans and Asians. I don't really know why that is, but I'm getting old and I really haven't been outside of the US very much or very far. Shame, really. There's so many places I would like to go but are logistical nightmares for me.

I think many Canadians are the same way. Canada and the US are just so large that many people can travel within North America and feel perfectly satisfied. While I do want to explore my own continent I also personally want to travel everywhere else too, having a particular fascination with the middle east(Egypt and Iran are actually two of my top destinations along with Italy and Russia).
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:04:06 PM
I'm really surprised by this thread. I've had one for a long long time (but I'm old), and pretty much everyone i know has one. Actually as i think about it, i have a sister and a brother that probably do not.

Now we should have a thread of all the countries we've visited, I'd be interested in Brian's.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:06:58 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:04:06 PM, innomen wrote:
I'm really surprised by this thread. I've had one for a long long time (but I'm old), and pretty much everyone i know has one. Actually as i think about it, i have a sister and a brother that probably do not.

Now we should have a thread of all the countries we've visited, I'd be interested in Brian's.

define "visited," lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:07:46 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:06:58 PM, OreEle wrote:

define "visited," lol.

Airports don't count. :P
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:08:02 PM

Now we should have a thread of all the countries we've visited, I'd be interested in Brian's.:

My list would be so lame....
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:13:48 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:08:02 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Now we should have a thread of all the countries we've visited, I'd be interested in Brian's.:

lol same, well compared to how much I want to travel and some other people's lists... I bet Brian's list is massive.
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2011 12:24:14 AM
Ive one. I got it in like june or july cause I realized after failing to get it before the world cup that I should have it ready for any future trip..which was wise after all.

Anyone entering the US needs a passport, including Americans. Prepare to be harassed and humiliated, even if you are American.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2011 7:51:36 AM
At 5/10/2011 1:13:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

lol same, well compared to how much I want to travel and some other people's lists... I bet Brian's list is massive.

I work in the travel industry and part of my job is to research new destinations, so while my list would be a long one, it wouldn't be fair to compare it with one of somebody who mainly travelled abroad on vacation.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2011 1:28:52 PM
At 5/11/2011 7:51:36 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

I work in the travel industry and part of my job is to research new destinations, so while my list would be a long one, it wouldn't be fair to compare it with one of somebody who mainly travelled abroad on vacation.

I should do whatever it is you do for a career, lol.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2011 1:49:02 PM
i've got an old one
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2011 6:46:09 PM

?

We can use a Passport card to use for Mexico and Canada.
http://travel.state.gov...

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2011 6:50:05 PM
At 5/11/2011 6:46:09 PM, lewis20 wrote:

?

We can use a Passport card for Mexico and Canada.
http://travel.state.gov...

Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2011 5:21:26 AM
At 5/11/2011 1:28:52 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Considering you can't even hold a job at a fast food restaurant...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 11:37:24 AM
I've had a passport for longer than most DDO members have been alive. I have needed it for both business and vacation travel. Nowadays, it's also good to have as a second form of positive ID. If you fly someplace in the US and lose your driver's license, you can't fly home.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 11:41:46 AM
"Yes, most Americans do not have a passport. The number of Americans who have a passport, according to the most recent statistics issued by the State Department in January of 2011, is 114,464,041.

Given the country's population of 307,006,550, about 37% of the population has one. This means that nearly 2 out of 3 Americans can't even fly to Canada, let alone travel to anywhere else in the world (new rules allow those with "Passport Cards" to travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean and Bermuda, but they are not allowed to be used for international air travel. There are about 3.5 million Americans who have this card.)" http://www.theexpeditioner.com...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 9:40:25 PM
At 5/12/2011 5:21:26 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 5/11/2011 1:28:52 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Considering you can't even hold a job at a fast food restaurant...

Please don't start... *sigh*