Jump to topic:

Camping

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 9:23:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So next week my last hurrah in Illinois before moving back east is going to be attending the Summer Camp music festival (http://www.summercampfestival.com...). A lot of my friends are going so I'm really excited, but we have to camp out for 5 days and 4 nights... and I've never gone camping before. I hate the woods, I hate being dirty, I HATE not showering, I hate bugs (!!!), I hate not utilizing clean bathrooms let alone no bathrooms, I hate life in the summer without AC, etc. lol so my gf is really worried that I'm going to be miserable. Haha I think we all know what goes on at music festivals though, so I doubt I'll be miserable. I hope not anyway.

Well regardless I'm going to make the best of it :) I was just wondering what food we should bring though. What food doesn't spoil when out in 90 degree weather for a few days? We'll have a cooler but not unlimited space, so we should probably minimize the perishables. If I do bring perishables, what is the best way to prepare or store them? We're bringing a little grill. I was also planning on bringing crackers, peanut butter and granola bars... any other camping essentials? In terms of non-food stuff, I think I've got everything covered but if there is a tip you have that most people don't think of or that you have found particularly helpful than lemme know! Thanks!
President of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 9:33:38 AM
How about all those precooked meals I see from Hormel in the little plastic trays that sit on the un-refrigerated shelves? I know you won't have a microwave, but if you can boil water, you could just drop those lunchables into boiling water to heat em up. A tasty way to camp perhaps :D
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 9:34:24 AM
Certain fruits like apples keep well without storage for a week, root vegies too for a couple days, otherwise canned goods are ok. Nuts are always a good alternative. Water purifying tablets might be a good idea (no idea what your water source is like).

Check your tent site for insect nests first, including ants. :P
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 10:00:16 AM
Camping is fun...
but from what I've seen you won't have enough room for camping...

you'll be sleeping in a bag while hearing people yell and scream through the night.. and one of you'll prolly want to keep watch to prevent one of your drunk from pissing on your tent ;)

I'd say if you guys've got a car try to find a cheap hotel within an hour from the place.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 10:06:04 AM
Then again, if it's Called the "summer camp" festival...

maybe they'll actually have room for you.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 2:09:18 PM
You camp in the woods, and if they run out of space you can camp in a giant field (we're getting there super early so we can avoid that... no trees = no shade). From what I heard, a huge majority of the people there are awesome. While they'll all most likely be on SOMETHING, I'm betting it's not alcohol considering it's among the hardest substances to smuggle in lol. The tripping people will prolly be exploring or watching a jam band, and those on Molly or E will just be trying to give me hugs - not piss on my tent :P
President of DDO
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 2:11:01 PM
Eat berries in the woods, if you don't puke eat more.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 2:22:14 PM
At 5/21/2011 2:14:21 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 5/21/2011 9:23:50 AM, Danielle wrote:
and I've never gone camping before.

WAT!?

Neither have I for the same reasons she listed :p I don't do well with nature. I prefer the beauty of skyscrapers. Nature's nice from a distance.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 2:25:02 PM
At 5/21/2011 2:22:14 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 5/21/2011 2:14:21 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 5/21/2011 9:23:50 AM, Danielle wrote:
and I've never gone camping before.

WAT!?

Neither have I for the same reasons she listed :p I don't do well with nature. I prefer the beauty of skyscrapers. Nature's nice from a distance.

You have to try to. It is so fun. And you get man points.
kfc
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 2:42:43 PM
Advice: Make sure you aren't too far from a hotel.

When i was about 22 i decided i would take a trip. Mountain climbing and camping in Vermont for a week+ with just my dog. Never had i camped before, and i was given lots of advice, a pathetic little tent, and a map with my daily adventure written out 9 mountains in 11 days. It was labor day, and i was to start at Mount Mansfield, i set up my little area and did the climb, and it was fine. While i was making due with the disgusting bathroom situation my dog made off long enough to get into a fight with a porcupine. It was Labor Day evening, and there wasn't much i could do at the moment, but was told i could get her to a vet in the AM in town. At that point the rain began, and not just a little rain mind you, but extremely heavy rains. The dog and i hid in the tiny tent as the rain leaked through and the mud rose up. The night was terrible with my poor dog just sitting next to me with a snout full of quills and both of us cold wet and filthy. The only thought that went through my head was 'hotel'.

The next morning i threw everything into the back of my Isuzu Trooper, mud and all, took the dog to the vet and found a motel that would accept pets. To this day i distinctly remember being constantly dirty, no matter what measures i took to clean up, and reeking of smoke. There wasn't anything fun about it for me, and i remember the feeling of taking a shower and finally being clean.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 2:47:11 PM
At 5/21/2011 2:11:01 PM, askbob wrote:
Eat berries in the woods, if you don't puke eat more.

Don't eat white ones.

Really it's a bad idea to eat ones you aren't familiar with outside a survival situation. Purplish black ones can generally be relied on to be okay. And he's just trolling ya anyway

Peanut butter is definitely a good idea, worst it can do is separate and then ya can stir it back up.

Bring oatmeal, never spoils and it's a nutritious breakfast. If that sounds too bland even with brown sugar, some breakfast cookies are a reasonable substitute. Water source is something ya should check up on and react to. Puck's suggestions are good. Jerky is 100% essential for non-vegetarians, I don't think a cooler can handle perishables for a week and canned stew with meat makes a good dinner but if you get hungry for something meaty at other times-- it's not a great palate-pleaser to have to have canned goods more than once a day in my experience. Along with the root veggies, gourds like cucumbers should last reasonably well even outside a cooler, until cut open anyway. You'll want to keep the apples, melons and such for the end of the week, unripe bananas for the middle, bring something like plums or peaches for early in the week. Bread stores well outside a cooler, I think things like bagels store a bit better but I could be wrong. Dried fruits can make a decent substitute for jelly to go on your peanut buttered up bagels. Chips last eons.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 3:35:09 PM
At 5/21/2011 3:01:55 PM, Koopin wrote:
Always remember to drink your pee. Never waste a drop of that liquid gold!

This statement is 100% Endorsed & Certified By Bear Grylls.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 3:38:47 PM
Carry some rubbing alcohol, a lighter, an hunters knife, a needle with thread, and some gauze. You probably wont need any of it but it is better safe than sorry plus once you head back home you have an mediocre survival kit.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 5:39:09 PM
for ice use some water bottles and freeze them, so you don't take up as much room and get stuff you would actually need. That's about all my advice, since I also hate camping.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 5:43:32 PM
At 5/21/2011 5:39:09 PM, lovelife wrote:
for ice use some water bottles and freeze them, so you don't take up as much room and get stuff you would actually need. That's about all my advice, since I also hate camping.

No ice when man camping. Unless it is frozen pee.
kfc